Is it Possible to get Atium and Lerasium from Harmonium

SzethIsBadAsHell

iirc, the Mists are more of Preservation or more of Ruin not, completely different. They were described as grey rather than the white Mists of era 1.

And those characteristics I mentioned were inherent to the Mists themselves, they have not been described as having separate effects (possibly so far)

I did notice that interpretation though, and thought it would be interesting to point it out to you.

But yeah, I'm still in the camp of Harmonium distillation being a possibility

37 minutes ago, SzethIsBadAsHell said:

Does anybody know how your turn a gas into a solid , or gas into a liquid .

It depends on a variety of factors. Generally in most cases cooling the gas will result in a change of state to a liquid. Some gases go straight from gas to solid like Carbon dioxide. This is all assuming that you are doing this at one atmospheric pressure. Things can start to get funky when you get to pressures like at the center of Jupiter or above. Conversely in the vacuum of space things will also start to behave differently. 

Edit: However I remember there being a WOB some were saying you can't change the state of the mist, Lerasium/Atium or the liquid that was in the well by conventional means. So if you were hoping to just cool down the mists to get Lerasium I'm sorry to say that you are out of luck. 

Edited by Dancer

@Dancer well I was looking for a mechanical way first . Even though I know mechanical ways won’t work . My idea was figure out a mechanical way ; then figure out what power could duplicate the mechanical way and perhaps that would work . Unfortunately I don’t know any powers that could cool the mist or condense it for that matter . I guess we will have to RAFO. 

1 hour ago, Dancer said:

Maybe if you were a very skilled Chromium misting you could differentiate between the two different Investiture that compose Harmonium. If you could leach either Preservation's or Ruin's Investiture then you would be left with a bead of either Lerasium or Atium.  

We don't know how Leeching works, it might simply degrade the Allomancer's Connection with Preservation. I doubt a Leecher is actually leeching Investiture from their target, that would mean that they wouldn't need to burn Chromium once they've gotten started, as the leeched power can be used to continue leeching power in a feedback loop till the target runs out of metal.

23 minutes ago, Honorless said:

We don't know how Leeching works, it might simply degrade the Allomancer's Connection with Preservation. I doubt a Leecher is actually leeching Investiture from their target, that would mean that they wouldn't need to burn Chromium once they've gotten started, as the leeched power can be used to continue leeching power in a feedback loop till the target runs out of metal.

I wasn't suggesting that the Chromium misting would absorb the Investiture that he was leeching but destroy it. 

Questioner

Aluminum, when you burn aluminum, does it actually destroy the metals or just take away their power?

Brandon Sanderson

It destroys the metals.

Questioner

Same with chromium?

Brandon Sanderson

Yeah.

Questioner

So it actually gets rid of the metals?

Brandon Sanderson

It actually trans--  It does a--  matter, energy, investiture are the same things in the cosmere.  You have some sort of transfer happening relating to those things.

Questioner

The question sort of relates to metal poisoning--

Brandon Sanderson

Yeah, you would not get metal poisoning after that.

On 11/22/2019 at 10:03 AM, Quantus said:

Harmonium has begun to form, the two Shards have not actually Merged, and I strongly suspect the Mist is still purely a Perservation thing, or at least 99%.  If you could get Harmonium out of the Mists, I think it would take a metric f-ton more of the mists to get the equal ratios of Preservation-to-Ruin than it would to get pure Lerasium.

The two shards have actually merged.  They have a single dual intent now.  I personally theorize the mists are now primarily of Ruin and work because be Harmony's intent shoring up a system by adding energy also makes it more volatile.

On 11/23/2019 at 1:39 AM, SzethIsBadAsHell said:

Does anybody know how your turn a gas into a solid , or gas into a liquid .

Nearly any substance will exist in the state you want it to if you put it at the correct temperature and pressure.

Edited by Ookla the Prolific

On 11/28/2019 at 4:51 PM, Ookla the Prolific said:

The two shards have actually merged.  They have a single dual intent now.  I personally theorize the mists are now primarily of Ruin and work because be Harmony's intent shoring up a system by adding energy also makes it more volatile.

Im not exactly sure what you define as a "Single Dual Intent" since that sounds innately contradictory to me, but I think we're just looking at a semantic disagreement here.  Per WOB they have begun to mingle, but they are not fully combined, and he specifically says there are still 16 shards that happen to be held by 15 vessels.

little wilson

Are Ruin and Preservation separate in Sazed or are they fully combined together like can he give one of them, or does he have to give both.

Brandon Sanderson

They are not fully combined. I mean that's not the way this works. He could pull off a piece of one even and make-- stuff like that. That's totally, totally viable. I mean it's basically what happened with the spren. The spren existed before even Honor was destroyed and things like that.

little wilson

So, did the-- my gosh, on Sel-- the Aons-- not the Aons-- the seons did they exist before the Splintering?

Brandon Sanderson

They did not. That's a good question. But they are not the majority of the power. They're just little pieces, they are like the sparks when something gets destroyed. The sparks are not the majority but they are the sparks that were thrown off, if that makes sense?

Holiday signing (Dec. 12, 2015)

Questioner

If Sazed got bored one day, could he split the two Shards he has?

Brandon Sanderson

Read And Find Out.

Questioner

So for right now, there are fifteen Shards?

Brandon Sanderson

Right now, there are sixteen Shards, but fifteen Vessels. Well, not even that, 'cause, you know.

Skyward San Diego signing (Nov. 7, 2018)

1 hour ago, Quantus said:

Im not exactly sure what you define as a "Single Dual Intent" since that sounds innately contradictory to me, but I think we're just looking at a semantic disagreement here.  Per WOB they have begun to mingle, but they are not fully combined, and he specifically says there are still 16 shards that happen to be held by 15 vessels.

/r/fantasy AMA 2013 (April 23, 2013)
#3 April 23, 2013 Share Copy

Thanatos17901

If Sazed were to die, would he drop the Shards Ruin and Preservation, or would he drop the Shard Harmony?

Brandon Sanderson

Excellent question. The shards are now intermingled, and would take effort to split apart. He would drop Harmony. (This is what Odium feared would happen, by the way.)

Single dual intent is a vary ying yang concept.  Complimentary opposed forces.

• 2 weeks later...
On 21.11.2019 at 7:27 PM, RShara said:

It's not possible through mechanical means. I'd imagine it takes something like Spiritual fission to get it to work. Harmonium is an element, not an alloy. An alloy of atium and lerasium would make an atium Misting.

I would try alloying harmonium with Uranium, and then putting it into fission reactor. A loot of flying neutrons would probably enter Harmonium eventually, and start radioactive decay.

Even if pure investiture particles wouldn't want to leave the atom, like Preservation protons wouldn't want to leave the rest of preservation protons and neutrons, the new neutron could beta decay, creating proton and pushing two metals from inside away.

Anyway with enough neutrons flying around any atom would eventually split. Everything Scadrians need to do is put enough of the Uranium and Harmonium in one place, (and make sure it won't explode, which is kind of the hardest part, since there should be no risks).