NaNoWriMo Support Thread 2019

Kasimir

I think we had one of these quite a while ago, but since NaNoWriMo has officially kicked off (I believe it's the second day now, at least for my timezone) - I thought I'd open a thread for general flailing, kvetching, possibly sprinting/finding buddies. Any of y'all doing NaNo this year? What on?

I'll start: I'm doing a fantasy political mess thing that involves a civil war among siblings in an empire, which can be described as "if Scar was also terrifyingly like Yi Bang-won, and if the ruling emperor was the pick no one expected, and also incompetent, but trying his best." I'm always up to find writing buddies!

I'm also doing NaNoWriMo this year, although I don't know how successful I'll be (busy schedule). My potential novel is titled "The Absolutely Ordinary Life of One Eva McBlair". It's a fantasy mystery type thing, with the main highlight being an extremely snarky narrator.

Actually, I'm going into this rather unprepared; I barely have a plot . I may be frequently asking for ideas and feedback.

11 minutes ago, Rushu42 said:

Actually, I'm going into this rather unprepared; I barely have a plot . I may be frequently asking for ideas and feedback.

Remember that outlining counts for NaNo too! You can sketch out the plot without falling behind like that! (It's what I'm doing, since my project is from the depths of my notebook and had no accompanying information beyond a title and a vague idea.)

Remember everyone, you can colour code or put other indications around sections as a reminder to get back to them in later drafts to flesh out - if you can't think of how something looks, put in a tag like: "Fredrick's ship exited the star-web and came into orbit around [planet 2 - main setting world]. It was a cold world, [how it looks - lots of blue, small frozen ocean], with the light of its distant star barely visible, like [metaphor]. He smiled. It was good to be home." And then add those details later. Just MOVE.

Hope everyone does well!

17 hours ago, Invocation said:

Remember that outlining counts for NaNo too! You can sketch out the plot without falling behind like that! (It's what I'm doing, since my project is from the depths of my notebook and had no accompanying information beyond a title and a vague idea.)

Thanks for the pro-tip! I'm totally behind in my wordcount right now because I spent the whole past two days on work. Hopefully I'll get to make some progress tomorrow! >>

9 hours ago, Ixthos said:

Remember everyone, you can colour code or put other indications around sections as a reminder to get back to them in later drafts to flesh out - if you can't think of how something looks, put in a tag like: "Fredrick's ship exited the star-web and came into orbit around [planet 2 - main setting world]. It was a cold world, [how it looks - lots of blue, small frozen ocean], with the light of its distant star barely visible, like [metaphor]. He smiled. It was good to be home." And then add those details later. Just MOVE.

Hope everyone does well!

Oh yeah, thanks, real life-saver. I tend to use [INSERT] and just move on :P 

All the best people! Keep on keeping on!

22 minutes ago, Kasimir said:

Thanks for the pro-tip! I'm totally behind in my wordcount right now because I spent the whole past two days on work. Hopefully I'll get to make some progress tomorrow! >>

Good luck! I certainly hope you can, but don't beat yourself up if you can't. That's what'll get you. Live in the moment, my friend!

Side note: do we want to make a NaNo group PM? (I know there's already a Writer's Guild one.)

On 11/5/2019 at 3:05 PM, Lunu’anaki said:

Well I've only got like 4,500 words this month.

Will one of you punch me? Thanks in advance.

Still at 4,500? 'Cause I'm way behind, thanks to an intense week involving belated Diwali celebrations and so on :P We can have the "oh god why are you so slow" punch fest :P 

7 hours ago, Kasimir said:

Still at 4,500? 'Cause I'm way behind, thanks to an intense week involving belated Diwali celebrations and so on :P We can have the "oh god why are you so slow" punch fest :P 

I'm still behind but I'm up to like 8000 now so I'm further... yet somehow further behind. :lol:

I'm gunna sit down and write 10k in 10 hours one of these days.... one of these days...

6 hours ago, Lunu’anaki said:

I'm still behind but I'm up to like 8000 now so I'm further... yet somehow further behind. :lol:

I'm gunna sit down and write 10k in 10 hours one of these days.... one of these days...

To be fair, I think I barely have 1k down >>;;; It was a really bad week and I'm writing my NaNo by hand. But I've done the 50k in 5 days before, so in theory I can still catch up and I don't want to give up just yet!

4 hours ago, Kasimir said:

To be fair, I think I barely have 1k down >>;;; It was a really bad week and I'm writing my NaNo by hand. But I've done the 50k in 5 days before, so in theory I can still catch up and I don't want to give up just yet!

I hear you!! It's not over 'til it's over!!