Alleycity Thread

Ark1002

Everest looked at All, unsure of what to do. "Aln!" Everest almost shouted, though she kept her voice down so that she wouldn't draw to mush attention. What had happened? What should she do? Her else calling fabrial wouldn't do much, it was broken. Her light line would do even less. "Alanis! Whats wrong?"

@Rushu42

What actually happened though? Didn't All see her sister and go to a rosharan restaurant earlier in this thread?

28 minutes ago, turtle said:

What actually happened though? Didn't All see her sister and go to a rosharan restaurant earlier in this thread?

That was in the original timeline/world. Aln is currently remembering the old one, I believe, which means she can look forwards to some monsters coming to try and kidnap her to erase her memories.

Python made his way through the city, the ropes making up his feet treading softly. He heard a soft cry from a pair standing outside a Rosharan resturaunt, but couldn't make out the words. He rushed over and brushed each of them with his ropes, establishing a mental link. Are you okay? He asked.

something touched Everest. are you okay? It asked. Allycity was weird. Everest had figured that out her first night in the city, when her cousin had still helped her. I might as well take the help I can get. "She's not." Everest said, shaking her head. Everest had nothing to help her with. 

@Kings_way

Edited by turtle

1 minute ago, kenod said:

That was in the original timeline/world. Aln is currently remembering the old one, I believe, which means she can look forwards to some monsters coming to try and kidnap her to erase her memories.

Yup. If you're unaware, this Era's main plot revolves around the fact that the Stranger rewrote history, so people's backstories and previous activities may have been altered.

Just now, Kings_way said:

Python made his way through the city, the ropes making up his feet treading softly. He heard a soft cry from a pair standing outside a Rosharan resturaunt, but couldn't make out the words. He rushed over and brushed each of them with his ropes, establishing a mental link. Are you okay? He asked.

Aln leaned against the wall, trying to control her breathing, mind racing. What was going on? Why did she have such vivid memories of a sister who'd been gone for a decade? Suddenly, a voice intruded on her thoughts, echoing in her mind in a way that only Pel's had ever done. "Are you okay?" 

Aln spun faster than she knew she could, pressing her back to the building behind. In her confused mental state, all that she could make out was a cloak, undulating strangely, and Everest, both facing her. She didn't register Everest's words, just staring between them in a panic as more memories flooded her mind. She felt the ghost of a distant pain, and for a moment the figures before her morphed into a looming mound of squirming insects, burning eyes staring down at her. She felt a pressing need to get away, to be alone, to have time to process what was happening in her mind - but Everest and the cloak were blocking her exit. Instead, she forced out a sentence, directing it at the creature who had intruded into her thoughts. "What did you do?"

@turtle @kenod

"What did you do?" Alns voice sliced through the confusion, giving Everest something to focus on. "I... I don't know. Do you want to go to the guild building?" Everest's voice was a whisper. She didn't know much about the city, but she knew something was very, very wrong. What am I supposed to do? Everest thought with mounting confusion and terror.

@Rushu42

Edited by turtle

40 minutes ago, Rushu42 said:

she forced out a sentence, directing it at the creature who had intruded into her thoughts. "What did you do?"

Python was taken aback. It had just meant to reassure, but It seemed to have caused some level of distress. I established a mental link, It sent. I am sorry. I did not mean to cause harm, I only wish to help. It needed to protect from harm, not cause it! 

4 hours ago, turtle said:

"What did you do?" Alns voice sliced through the confusion, giving Everest something to focus on. "I... I don't know. Do you want to go to the guild building?" Everest's voice was a whisper. She didn't know much about the city, but she knew something was very, very wrong. What am I supposed to do? Everest thought with mounting confusion and terror.

3 hours ago, Kings_way said:

Python was taken aback. It had just meant to reassure, but It seemed to have caused some level of distress. I established a mental link, It sent. I am sorry. I did not mean to cause harm, I only wish to help. It needed to protect from harm, not cause it! 

Aln looked between them, trying to manage her breathing. It had been years since a panic attack this intense, but she still remembered how to steady her breathing and focus her thoughts. Finally, she felt that she could think through the fear still thundering in her chest. Pel, she thought, am I crazy? She could feel his uncertainty for a moment before his reply. "I - I don't think so." His confidence strengthened as he continued, "No. No, I would have noticed any signs of insanity. I think this is something else." 

That worry alleviated somewhat, she turned her attention to the figures in front of her, whose words still hung in the air. Under the cloak was...a rope? That's a new one. It had seemed confused at her reaction. Most likely its telepathic had no connection to whatever was happening to her memory. She pulled herself unsteadily to her feet. "I have experienced a panic attack," she said with some difficulty, reverting to her stiffest mannerisms, "triggered by..." she hesitated for a moment. "Triggered by a mental anomaly. I believe that this requires some investigation."

@kenod

1 hour ago, Rushu42 said:

Aln looked between them, trying to manage her breathing. It had been years since a panic attack this intense, but she still remembered how to steady her breathing and focus her thoughts. Finally, she felt that she could think through the fear still thundering in her chest. Pel, she thought, am I crazy? She could feel his uncertainty for a moment before his reply. "I - I don't think so." His confidence strengthened as he continued, "No. No, I would have noticed any signs of insanity. I think this is something else." 

That worry alleviated somewhat, she turned her attention to the figures in front of her, whose words still hung in the air. Under the cloak was...a rope? That's a new one. It had seemed confused at her reaction. Most likely its telepathic had no connection to whatever was happening to her memory. She pulled herself unsteadily to her feet. "I have experienced a panic attack," she said with some difficulty, reverting to her stiffest mannerisms, "triggered by..." she hesitated for a moment. "Triggered by a mental anomaly. I believe that this requires some investigation."

"Aln." Everest said, "don't brush it off like that. Yes, it should be investigated, but you need some rest." Everest tried to be strong, but she had actually felt attachment to Aln, and pain clouded her thoughts. This woman had taken her in, and now she might leave her. That would be the second time someone had left her. Than couldn't happen. That could not happen. "Lets go to the guild building. Cloak guy, if you think you could help her than come with us. I think she might need medical attention, stuff like this doesn't happen for no reason." 

@Rushu42 @Kings_way

• 3 months later...

Folorian was lost, although the Terris couldn't see it -in fact he couldn't see much anything, but he was lost. His mind had decided to stop concentrating on the road too early and his curse had mostly shut down his other sense and he was now relying on his subconscious and muscle memory to go to his destination but as he had took a wrong turn hours ago so it would not work and he'd be God know where when hunger would make him snap out of his trance.

@anyone who want to help a lost man :unsure:

Aln's on her way to the metalshop at the moment, but since I haven't actually written her arriving, I'd say it's reasonable to have her run into you on the way. That's if you have no objections to going to the metalshop thread after this, though.

Aln walked behind Poller, dropping her disguise to conserve Stormlight. With the questions swirling in her mind, she didn't notice Folorian until she nearly smacked into him. Thankfully for her pride, it appeared that he hadn't noticed her, either. "Folorian!" she said, tapping him on the shoulder. "Stormfather, it's good to see you. A lot has happened." She looked at Poller, still leading the way towards Cassandra's. "Would you follow me, and I can tell you about it? The Guild's not safe at the moment."

@mathiau @Ookla Fell From The Sky

Edited by Ookla the Uscritic

Just now, Ookla the Uscritic said:

Aln walked behind Poller, dropping her disguise to conserve Stormlight. With the questions swirling in her mind, she didn't notice Folorian until she nearly smacked into him. Thankfully for her pride, it appeared that he hadn't noticed her, either. "Folorian!" she said, tapping him on the shoulder. "Stormfather, it's good to see you. A lot has happened." She looked at Poller, still leading the way towards Cassandra's. "Would you follow me, and I can tell you about it? The Guild's not safe at the moment."

Folorian jolted as Aln touched him, and panicked a bit when he did not recognize where he was, but he calmed down as he heard Aln's voice.

"I-I... I was on the way to the guild, where am I?"

He checked his spheres and found all of them dun, meaning he had subconsciously drained them to fend of hunger, and maybe lack of sleep assuming he had not started sleepwalking at some point. Harmony he must've been lost for days?

"I'm following you"

1 minute ago, mathiau said:

Folorian jolted as Aln touched him, and panicked a bit when he did not recognize where he was, but he calmed down as he heard Aln's voice.

"I-I... I was on the way to the guild, where am I?"

He checked his spheres and found all of them dun, meaning he had subconsciously drained them to fend of hunger, and maybe lack of sleep assuming he had not started sleepwalking at some point. Harmony he must've been lost for days?

"I'm following you"

I'll tag you in the Metallurgy thread, then.

• 1 year later...

Professor Esserethel stumbled his way down the stone steps at the university, rubbing his reddened eyes only made them worse but the momentary relief was enough for now. It had been another long night, caused by his chronic inability to tell what time of day it was or when he'd last eaten or slept. He'd often gone a full day cooped up in a dim laboratory making notes before Laurelai called to check in and remind him to sleep. She hadn't called this time, but a friendly member of the cleaning staff had advised him it was morning when they saw his bloodshot eyes.

"You're not immortal." He reminded himself with a chuckle. "Flesh and blood need rest and sustenance."

His wife had told him such often, and he'd repeated it to Laurelai many times whenever she got too involved in her own Forgery studies. She'd inherited his laser focus and ability to ignore distractions but thankfully her internal clock seemed much more accurate than his and she at least did not completely lose track of time.

At least not until now.

He frowned at the thought, Laurelai had been distracted lately. They hadn't actually seen each other since the festival, which wasn't long enough to be suspicious in itself but she had also barely replied to the messages he'd sent her.

"Perhaps a dinner together." He said, thinking aloud. "Or maybe she just needs some space."

The ground trembled under his feet, lightly at first and then with a sudden increase in intensity. He stumbled on a step, almost falling over the railing before catching himself, then almost falling again as a student nearby was also thrown off balance and collided with him.

"Are you okay?" He asked him, helping the poor boy regain his footing.

The shaking stopped as he asked, and a moment later everyone seemed to have recovered though casting some curious glances around. Some were more familiar with earthquakes than others but even those who knew them well looked briefly concerned. For his part the Professor immediately pulled a phone from a pocket, dialling a number and then quickly stuffing it back with frustration when the call could not connect.

"By Domi's least-merciful-" He cut himself off mid-curse, one he'd learned from his wife and then promised her never to use in public. But it was with irritation and concern that he turned to look Eastward, in the direction of the hospital. Had Laurelai been working this morning? He wasn't sure of her schedule but she rarely took early morning shifts unless forced. She was probably just home, asleep. But the hospital was an older building, if she was there...

He rushed to the street, immediately catching a transport to the hospital.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Not once in her memory had Whisper ever skipped.

Not even when assuming the most vapid and bubbly of disguises had she deigned it necessary to actually skip with joy. But the joy and relief she felt at finally being taken seriously, being given time and resources for this most important of tasks. Well if ever there was a time she would skip, this would be it.

She did not.

A reserved walk through the Alleys was celebration enough. She had work to be about, no time or energy spare to waste on frivolity. She needed to get back into the city, she needed to find another source of whispers, and trace it. Do what needed to be done to find the truth. She had the time to listen now, perhaps if she listened hard enough she would finally hear what they were saying.

She kept a smooth gait as she exited the Alleys, blending seamlessly into the crowd. Changing appearance every so often when she was completely obscured, just on the off chance anyone was following or looking for her. She had just shifted again to resemble a young boy with a stack of newspapers under his arm when she stopped. People brushed past her, a few bumping her small frame with enough force to nearly push her over but she was too distracted to pay attention.

That sound. Not a whisper, something else.

She was puzzling over it, looking in the faces of others to see that none seemed to be reacting. A high, keening sound, almost like the beginnings of a wail. But then something happened that everyone took note of, the ground began to tremble and shake underfoot, traffic screeched to a halt and pedestrians all grabbed buildings, railings and each other for support as they looked around in confusion.

Whisper fell against the side of a building, unable to even identify it or break her fall in any way she collapsed onto the sidewalk, hands clutching at her ears, at her temples, ready to pull the hair from her head. She had been right, this was not a whisper, it was a scream.

• 2 weeks later...

Breathing heavily at their rapid transit through the Alleys and then the lobby of the hotel, Laurelai leaned against the walls of this gilded elevator and looked at her friends eyes, panicked face shifting into a warm grin, the kind of grin usually given only to a friend one had not seen in many years, though of course Laurelai had technically seen her regularly for the past few days.

"Well, you look terrible." Lita said, mirroring the grin and then burst into laughter.

Laurelai held back for only a second before she joined in. Peals of mirthful cackling filled the space, echoing in the small space of the elevator. The missed time melted away at the sound, as an entire chorus of Laurelai's and Lita's joined the laughter, reflected in the burnished walls into infinity.

"Rusts but it's good to see you again." Laurelai managed finally, wiping a small tear away. "I mean, obviously I've seen you I just... well you know what I mean!"

The lack of good company and fine spirits has been sorely missed. She thought, hoping the other woman would understand.

"And, as for looking terrible..."

In an instant her dress was repaired, the sweat and dust that she had gathered in the Alleys vanished and her hair hung neat and straight once again.

"Oh by all the Shards, I missed being able to do that." She said, stretching and enjoying the sense of instantaneous refreshment. "So how the Rusts have you been? You know, other than the crippling headaches, identity crisis and the universe collapsing around you."

@ZincAboutIt
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Gentle hands shook Whisper awake from her position on the ground, she heard a concerned voice but before she could even process it her instincts kicked in. She rolled to the side and jumped back a half-dozen feet to land in an awkward crouch with a spike ready to throw, concealed in one of her loose sleeves.

"-you alright? Do you need a doctor?" The voice said, finally catching up to her.

She eyed the man who had been helping her, now staring wide-eyed and worried. She took a steady, calming breath to restore her pulse back to normal, self-diagnosed the bruises and the minor concussion she'd received. Then gave an apologetic smile before lifting her head to show the thick scar along her throat.

Sorry. She mouthed, with what she hoped was an innocent expression.

He tried to approach again and offer aid but she started off at a jog, hoping he wouldn't follow. That scream, it had been at the hospital, and if she wanted to find out why she needed to move quickly. Her speed was slowed with her concussion, a constant ringing in her ears blocked out most background noise and even the echoes of the scream though she was sure it had not been silenced. With her current condition, the Alleys were the only way to get there in time.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Professor Esserethel was moments from jumping onto a tram towards the hospital when he saw the figure of a young boy collapsing on the street, coiling up into a ball as though in great pain.

Domi's mercy. He cursed before leaping off and towards the boy. He knelt down next to him, eyes running over his figure in an instant before touching a shoulder gently. Had it been some pre-existing condition set off by the quake? The tremor hadn't been that violent, perhaps simply fear-based?

"Don't worry." He began in a soothing voice "I've got you, are you alright? Do you need a doctor?"

He was already looking up and scanning passers by in the hopes that one of them might be a medical professional when the boy twisted and leapt with surprising speed. Enough to be clearly Invested in some way, and as he settled there was a moment when his clothes shimmered with Stormlight.

Radiant. The Professor noted. Could have been an issue with the Nahel bond? Maybe the Tremor was Invested somehow.

The boy gave a weak smile and mouthed an apology before darting off at top speeds. And fueled initially by instinct and then a concern that the boy may have become concussed in his fall, Professor Esserethel followed him into a small alley between the train station and a bank.

"Just wait a moment." He called, already beginning to run out of breath. "You don't need to rush like-"

His words froze in his mouth as the scenery around him shifted in an instant from tarred road to a dark cobblestone, the sun vanished from the sky and the walls changed to thrice their previous height and looming ominously.

Ah. Whisper thought as they froze and turned, hearing the voice the instant they started Alleytravelling. Whoops.

On 3/26/2022 at 5:09 AM, Voidus said:

"Rusts but it's good to see you again." Laurelai managed finally, wiping a small tear away. "I mean, obviously I've seen you I just... well you know what I mean!"

Lita felt her smile grow wider, even as her laughter ebbed away. Yes, she did know what Laurelai meant. Even with all the might of the Department of Counter Intelligence at her disposal, Lita had felt something missing. Something I didn't even know I had lost. 

As the elevator continued its ascent, Laurelai gave a small gesture and was instantly clean, her dress repaired, all signs of black ooze gone as though they'd never been.

"Oh by all the Shards, I missed being able to do that. So how the Rusts have you been? You know, other than the crippling headaches, identity crisis and the universe collapsing around you."

Lita wrinkled her nose and looked down at herself. Suddenly being the only one covered in muck made her feel twice as filthy. "I had forgotten how much I hate it when you do that."

The light chime of the elevator accompanied its halt on the eleventh floor, and the golden doors slid open without a sound. Lita burned Tin and listened, catching ambient sounds on the floor but nothing nearby. Cautiously, she stepped out of the elevator and beckoned for Laurleai to follow.

"As to your second question, best that we wait until we get somewhere more private."

Though, Lita thought as they walked down the empty hallway towards one of the corner suites, is anywhere safe from those shadow things? A dozen emotions swirled within Lita as they walked past identical ivory doors with gold hardware. Relief at escaping, confusion as two sets of memories warred in her head, delight at having her friend returned to her. And below it all, simmering silently, was a deep anger. Later, she told herself. Rage later. Bath now.

Lita reached her door and eventually managed to extract a sodden, greasy key from her skirt pocket, unlocking the door and stepping inside before slipping off her shoes. It would do no good to track black goop all over the lovely carpet.

"I can't bear another moment covered in this muck," Lita said as she locked the door behind Laurelai and flicked on the lights, illuminating a spacious suite decorated in pale blues, whites, and golds. "The bar is in the sitting room. Help yourself to whatever while I take a shower. We can't all perform miraculous self-cleaning."

After fifteen minutes of painstakingly scraping tarry ooze out of her hair, Lita emerged swathed in a fluffy dressing gown and poured herself a glass of port, settling down beside her friend. 

"So," Lita began, tapping the glass with her nail. "After those... things attacked us. Did you hear it? Did you hear the voice?"

@Voidus

"The bar is in the sitting room. Help yourself to whatever while I take a shower. We can't all perform miraculous self-cleaning."

Well thank Domi that our priorities are straight. Laurelai thought with a smile, heading to the bar as Lita made for the shower.

"Let's see... whiskey, bottle of the Hasting's latest whites, ah!" She muttered before gasping in victory and pulling a sturdy bottle filled with fortified happiness. "Elariel. Bless whichever member of that house decided to practice fermentation instead of messing about with house politics."

She set a pair of glasses out and poured her own immediately, taking her time to luxuriate in the scent before gently sipping it. The warmth spread through her steadily, relaxing limbs and releasing tension as it went. And for the minutes that it took for that warmth to spread she simply allowed herself the time to enjoy it, without dwelling overlong on her recently returned memories or the horror of those shadow creatures. Just felt the calmness and her joy at reuniting with a friend that she had not even known she was missing.

She's certainly moved up in the world. Laurelai thought, smiling with happiness for Lita's success. And if that means we don't have to break into half-destroyed taverns to get a fine drink then I suppose we can manage.

She examined the room, they were well appointed, if perhaps a little impersonal feeling in the way that hotel suites often were. The finery marred only slightly by the mucked and dirtied shoes that Lita had deposited at the door. Unable to bear the thought of fine stilettos being in this condition Laurelai moved close enough to identify them and then constructed a quick forgery. Doing so for Lita herself would be difficult without her help, such Stamps tended to wear off very quickly indeed if they took at all. But her clothes were another matter entirely.

With a quick flourish the muck vanished as though it had never been.

With a satisfied nod, Laurelai removed her own shoes and collapsed back onto a nearby chair. She gave up any sense of posture and poise and allowed her head to loll over the backrest as she heard the bathroom door open and Lita returning in what seemed a comfortable bathrobe.

Well now who's being unfair?

"So," Lita said as she retrieved a glass of her own and sat. "After those... things attacked us. Did you hear it? Did you hear the voice?"

Laurelai pulled herself upright again, and watched Lita before finally nodding. There was no need to hedge or seek to clarify here, they had clearly both heard it. Though perhaps in different words.

"He called me the 'Forgotten Daughter'" Laurelai replied sombrely "It's strange it must have been completely filling my mind before he started this, before he changed... everything. But when it all started coming back it was one of the last things I remembered. It feels so much less... terrifying. But then the Voice mentioned a choice and I reached out and, well."

She twisted the pen in one hand, movements that only hours ago had felt a little stiff and unpractised now came with perfect fluidity.

Well, it's not a sword but it did the job fine. She signed in Alleycant.

"Yours seems a little more impressive." Laurelai said, nodding towards the blade. "A promotion and a better weapon. If I didn't know any better I'd swear he was playing favourites."

Lita listened as Laurelai spoke, wincing slightly as she mentioned being called “the Forgotten Daughter.” Guilt gnawed at her, coiling uncomfortably somewhere in her gut. 

Did I do this? If Lita had told Laurelai a year before in that ruined tavern, if she had told her who her father really was… would it have changed anything?

She stood, going over to a side table and picking up the slender bayonet blade that had materialized in her hand. As though she could read Lita’s mind, Laurelai spoke again.

"Yours seems a little more impressive." Laurelai said, nodding towards the blade. "A promotion and a better weapon. If I didn't know any better I'd swear he was playing favourites."

Lita felt her hand tighten around her glass of port, and she knew that if she had been burning pewter it would have shattered. But of course, she wasn’t burning pewter. Not here, not in this life. She gave a little laugh; it tasted bitter on her tongue. 

His favorite. Lita hated how good that felt to hear, hated herself for that thrill of warm euphoria at the idea. She remembered that smile, so hungry and curious. The smile of a predator that had decided to play with its food for a while before devouring it. Lita loathed that smile, even as she longed to see it.

She took a long drink of port - the finest money could buy. Surrounded as she was by finery, Lita had never felt more impoverished.

”The favorite pet gets the prettiest cage, I suppose,” she said, knocking back the rest of her glass and setting it down. She ran her finger along the edge of the bayonet, marveling at its sharpness. Her right palm still stung from where the blade had cut her. The handle was so small; it seemed almost designed to harm the weilder in addition to the victim.

Always a price. 

“It doesn’t make sense that he’d help us escape those…things. Not if he designed them. What is the point?”

How many times had she fought those horrid creatures, only to forget them afterwards? How many times had she clawed her way back to the truth, only for it to be stolen from her? Suddenly, gripped by a deep sense of hopeless rage, Lita took her beautiful crystal glass and hurled it against the nearest wall. It exploded into a hail of shards, the sound doing little to ease her fury.

”What,” she whispered, “is the rusting point?”

@Voidus

Eyes locked on Lita, Laurelai watched the internal struggle at the question. Even in this relaxed environment her expression was still guarded, but she gave herself away in her silence and movements. The way she finished the last of her glass and her tone as she finally spoke.

”The favorite pet gets the prettiest cage, I suppose,” she said.

Laurelai's brow furrowed at that, unsure exactly how to rebut Lita's insecurities but still feeling like she needed to do so. She may have wondered at the exact nature of Lita's feelings for the Stranger before, and she joked about favouritism but Lita it seemed was even harsher on herself.

“It doesn’t make sense that he’d help us escape those…things. Not if he designed them. What is the point?” She continued.

Laurelai agreed on that too, what was the purpose behind setting those creatures up only to help them fight them off? Why not just exclude them from this Forgery in the first place if he was just going to try to help them break out of it?

No, you know why. A snide voice whispered. He needed you. The bait for the trap, the prize that the Stranger wanted to give to his friend. A happy and loving daughter, forced to forget the terror that she used to hold. No matter how good an actor you are you never could have kept that up if you knew who he actually was.

She grit her teeth and felt a clink as the stem of her glass snapped in her overly-tight grip. She winced at the loss before a shattering of crystal brought her gaze up to the wall where Lita's glass now slid down in a thousand pieces.

"What" Lita said, voice a whisper. "Is the rusting point?"

Laurelai slid her feet off the chair and stood, stepping to Lita in a single graceful step. Lita was so strong, so capable and confident that it made it difficult to remember just how fragile she must be underneath it all to have led her here. Those who sought out the Dark Alley and rose to prominence within it were rarely without their own scars, whether or not those were visible. Laurelai gently wrapped her arms around the other woman.

"The point?" Laurelai echoed quietly. "I'm not sure, not sure that we could ever really know even if they deigned to actually talk to us about it. I'm sure that whatever it is is unbelievably convoluted and probably stretches back to a time thousands of years before we were even born."

Actually, when was I born? She wondered, the thought not having occurred before. Did Voidus have a child before the seven days war? And who is actually my mother in that case?

"But." She continued, ignoring her own mental distractions. "Who cares? Why do we need to worry about what they wanted or expected us to do? You are not the Stranger's pet, and you are far more than simply his protege. And I am much more than just the daughter of an ancient demigod."

She pulled back, giving Lita a little space, and made her way to the wall that Lita had smashed her glass on and picking up a small fragment from the carpet.

"We are Lita and Laurelai, seekers of secrets and denizens of the Dark Alley. We are the head of Counterintelligence and her apprentice, we are the finders of the Chapel of Rain, the infiltrators of Plasma Core, we helped to make this in the first place Lita!"

She gestured around them, to the entire world, reforged.

"And having lived two lives, one dominated by fear of my own father and the other controlled entirely by the Stranger I'm really not inclined to give much mind to what either of them wants. I think we do what we do best Lita, we let them go around destroying the city and confronting monsters. And we..."

She tapped the shard of glass with her pen, stamp appearing upon its surface and glass reforming in her hand, already filled with port again.

"We have some drinks and talk about what we want to do." Laurelai said, back straight and proud, a smile on her lips as she handed Lita the glass back. "So, spymistress, we're no doubt being chased by shadows that want to rob our memories, the world is slowly collapsing and two of the most powerful men to have ever existed are both locked in a near-infantile misunderstanding of their own emotions. I'm at your disposal of course, so what should we do?"

@ZincAboutIt