Periodic Table

Eldergod3

Found this little gem browsing the Arcanum and want to hear your thoughts on the possibility of more Allomantically Viable Metals. Thank you for your time. 

Questioner

I was thinking, was there <inaudible> Allomantic metals <inaudible> random or was there something behind it?

Brandon Sanderson

I wanted the metals that had an alloy, that was commonly used and is easily accessible to people in a pre-industrial society.

Questioner

When they go and discover more of the periodic table, is there a chance they’ll discover <inaudible>

Brandon Sanderson

There is a chance, yes.

https://wob.coppermind.net/events/121-krakow-signing/#e4716 

Personally I want to see the different god-metal alloys do stuff during the Lost Metal, to set up for what will be going on at the start of era 3.

If Trellium is a god metal, that also means there's a possibility that there's...

- 16 base metals (the ones we all know and love)
- 16 atium alloys
- 16 lerasium alloys
- 16 trellium alloys
- 16 harmonium alloys? possibly. not sure what they'd be useful in.
- 6 god-alloys of various pairs
- 4 god-alloys of various trios?

- 1 super-god-alloy of all 4?
- 11 more sets of alloys with all of these god-alloys??
- wait that means there are 16 total sets of 16! :o 16^2 metals...

for a hypothetical total of...

256 Allomantically Viable Metals???

Personally this excites me. 239 possible new effects (subtracted the base 16 and malatium) for future scadrians to discover.
I don't know if it's a coincidence that there are 16 total sets of the 16 allomantic metals due to Trellium, Harmonium, and multi-god alloys.

Also these would (maybe?) be Feruchemically and Hemalurgically effective too? so potentially 768 different Metallic Art effects.
...Wack.

48 minutes ago, Keeper Exile said:

I bet that a new metal (hopefully a new one other than Trellium) will be discovered in Era 3. With the advances in technology, you would think that some new metal would be discovered.

Only new ones possible are the G-metals.

2 hours ago, Halyo_Alex said:

Personally I want to see the different god-metal alloys do stuff during the Lost Metal, to set up for what will be going on at the start of era 3.

If Trellium is a god metal, that also means there's a possibility that there's...

- 16 base metals (the ones we all know and love)
- 16 atium alloys
- 16 lerasium alloys
- 16 trellium alloys
- 16 harmonium alloys? possibly. not sure what they'd be useful in.
- 6 god-alloys of various pairs
- 4 god-alloys of various trios?

- 1 super-god-alloy of all 4?
- 11 more sets of alloys with all of these god-alloys??
- wait that means there are 16 total sets of 16! :o 16^2 metals...

for a hypothetical total of...

256 Allomantically Viable Metals???

Personally this excites me. 239 possible new effects (subtracted the base 16 and malatium) for future scadrians to discover.
I don't know if it's a coincidence that there are 16 total sets of the 16 allomantic metals due to Trellium, Harmonium, and multi-god alloys.

Also these would (maybe?) be Feruchemically and Hemalurgically effective too? so potentially 768 different Metallic Art effects.
...Wack.

Due to Connection issues... SA Spoiler 

Spoiler

word_thief

What would happen if a Mistborn ingested the metal of a Shardblade/Plate?

Brandon Sanderson

A Shardblade is Invested. A Mistborn isn't likely to have a tie to that type of Investiture. So probably nothing would happen…

General Twitter 2013 (Oct. 24, 2013)

I really doubt that most godmetal alloys are going to be usable by most people... 

But that said, your numbers are very very low if they were. 

16 normal metals. 17 for each godmetal (godmetal plus an alloy for each normal). Then Harmonium shows us an addition possible 17 for each possible dual shard metal (because harmonium isn't an alloy, but an "element" in its own rite). Which then begs the question of further combinations of tri-shards, and quad-shards, etc.

The number of potential numbers is higher than will ever be possibly shown or explained, even if they were all usable. 

I know people really want new metals, but frankly I'm really excited for the later eras to show off Sanderson's 3rd Law of Magic, "Expand what you already have before you add something new."

The metallic arts have so much potential depth to them for shaping technology and society, and I'd love to see that explored. Yes, we're getting a little of that in Era 2 with the Southern Scadrian technology, but there's just so much that could be done, and I don't really think we need new metals. I mean, we have 48 effects to explore and we don't even know how a lot of them work yet. Anyway, my point is just that I think all relevant metals have been revealed, and I'm okay with that.

• Chaos locked this topic