Hidden things in WoR

harry31j97

WoK had lots of subtly hidden clues that I found on rereads, the more I read, the more the clues became clearer. Till now I've read WoR 3 times, I haven't yet come across clues that were very subtle. Whatever foreshadowing was in it, it was very clear that it was a clue to be cracked like code in chapter 84. My question is, has someone yet found any very subtle clues? Like, say, in WoK there was reference regarding Shallan possessing shardblade, or regarding colour a/w Kalladin's order, or in the vision where we found so much about KR, their powers & so many other clues. I feel WoR is so much more simplistically written, I can't muster any more enthusiasm to reread like I did for WoK. What do you all think?

I knew Shallan had a shardblade really early, can't remember if which read through it was though. I'm not sure what you mean about the color and Kaladin's order. Honestly I agree with you about the lack of hints. I haven't seen any like Shallan's blade, so either their really sneaky, or they already got answered, or I'm just a dunce.

Have you noticed anything odd about Zahel? We know some pretty breathtaking things about him, you could say. ;)

Oh, Snap! 

(I'm sorry; this isn't the cosmere pun thread)

I spotted lots of subtle things on re-reading WoR though much of that was foreshadowing events later in the book.

In terms of hidden things that aren't explained later, some more "hidden" than others, here's a couple of things that spring to mind:

• Galivar - for a dead dude he becomes more mysterious by the day
  • Renarin - what's been happening to him and what can he do
  • Dalinar - what can Bondsmiths really do and why are they so rare?
  • Shallan - what happened to her before her mother died? How did she first meet Pattern and what did she do?
  • Shallan #2 - can her Surges directly affect people's minds?
  • Shallan #3 - can she see remote events in past/current/future? (such as when she drew Yalb and Shalash)
  • Shallan #4 - was her taking of the slaves a hint to future events involving slavery? Jasnah has also said that Alethi society is too stratified
  • Shallan's mother and her "friend" Dreder - why did they try to kill Shallan?
  • Helaran - what was he trying to do and why?
  • Nalan/Nin - what does he really want and how sane is he?
  • Taln! Taln? Taln!?
  • Teft - he seems to have some kind of long-term gambling addiction or money problem
  • Wit/Hoid's flute - what happened to it and is it important?
  • Ghostbloods - where in the Cosmere are they from and what are they after?
  • Horneaters - why were they (supposedly) so feared in the past and what's going on with their mountaintops?
  • the "old people" the Stormfather talks about - they will be transformed by the Everstorm, but are they just Parshman/Parshendi or are there others?
  • Radiant squires - how does it work and what can they do? The Recreance is still a big mystery.
  • spren cousins - Syl refers to windspren as her cousins. Did honorspren diverge (evolve, branch, split, whatever) from windspren? Are Cryptics  similarly "cousins" to creationspren?
  • spren memory - do they have some kind of group memory or how can Syl and Pattern both know about ancient events? (Pattern at least says he wasn't "alive" then)
  • spren cities - what are they like, how are they built?
  • spren politics - why do Cryptics have such a reputation, etc? What are they really? (I suspect they're actually "fictionspren")
  • chasamfiends - where do they come from? do they have some form of spren bonding? are they related to santhids? can they be bred?
  • glyphs - there has got to be a lot more to them if they spontaneously appear around Radiants. Feels like they could be some kind of hidden magic system and burning prayer glyphs somehow evolved out of this

• Teft - he seems to have some kind of long-term gambling addiction or money problem

I suspect it's alcoholism rather than gambling. He was looking for his flask while on duty with Sigzil and there was one more hint that made me think his problem is with alcohol, but I can't remember what it was now, sorry.

Another hidden thing is the supposed presence of one Order that didn't abandon their oaths, likely the Skybreakers.

The Stormwardens are apparently breaking the Alethi rules for no writing for men, so they're probably up to something.

Tyn's former pupil was named Sig, which sounds like short for Sigzil. Also, Pai is close to Pailiah (not saying she was the Herald, but it's interesting).

Hoid entered Roshar from one of the Horneaters lakes.

Edited by Aleksiel

So much awesomeness!

I spotted lots of subtle things on re-reading WoR though much of that was foreshadowing events later in the book.

What s/he said! And:

• The distorted face in  the Highstorm
  • The infused creatures in the Highstorm. Larval chasmfiends?
  • Chasmfiend intelligence and venality. 
  • The cometspren harassing Eshonai when she was in stormform.
  • The Santhid rescuing Shallan
  • Where was Jasnah that she had to make a hurried exit and got burned
  • Adolin not feeling the Thrill and where his arc goes
  • Larkin! Larkin? Larkin!?
  • Lift's history
  • Odium and Mr. T.
  • Restares (the creature in Tukar?)
  • Sebariel
  • Radiant special abilities such as possibly Kaladin's wind-fighting or Shallan's memories
  • Cryptics watching Elhokar and then not watching him anymore. 
  • Elhokar's evolution
  • What happens when Highstorms and Everstorms collide? How does it get managed
  • What happened w/the assassin that Jasnah had watching the queen?
  • What is up w/the queen anyway?
  • the history of the Iriali
  • locked Oathgates? 11 lamps in the Oathgate in Kholinar, 10 lamps in Stormseat
  • Herald abilities and where have they been
  • Danlan and the rest of Graves' cell
  • Moash and his choices
  • the scar on Nale's face
  • Wit, the correspondence (how are they communicating) w/his reptilian friend and the stone that no longer has value.
  • Dalinar's final vision not sent by the Stormfather and the God beyond

Leftover from tWoK:

• What happened to the gems in Elhokar's suit in the Chasmfiend battle?
  • What are all the extra lines in the Surgebinding chart? eg between opposing orders or between order 1 and order 4
  • Aimians! Aimians? Aimians!?
  • The hair inheritance thing
  • Vanrial
  • Shardplate
  • What started the Desolation process
  • Rhyshadium

Edit: added last 2 to first list

Edited by hoser

The infused creatures in the Highstorm. Larval chasmfiends?

If you mean when Shallan and Kaladin where in the chasms, I presumed those creatures they saw/sensed/whatever were new stormform Parshendi.

In-book foreshadowing, I had a 'OMG Brandon is a genius" moment re-reading the scene where Shallan and Adolin are texting talking through spanreed, just before Shallan meets Iyatil, finds Taln etc. The way it's worded, things like Dalinar visiting Adolin, Shallan telling him not to be a fool and stop what he's doing, all point to Adolin locking himself into jail. But first readthrough, you're far more fascinated with Shallan's lightweaving and the Ghostbloods to pick up that something strange is going on with Adolin. Beautiful smoke-and-mirrors foreshadowing going on there, and total character-knowledge consistency.

Edited by Delightful

Another hidden thing is the supposed presence of one Order that didn't abandon their oaths, likely the Skybreakers.

The Stormwardens are apparently breaking the Alethi rules for no writing for men, so they're probably up to something.

I read those two lines and because there was some mention somewhere of Renarin reestablishing the 'men of letters' or something like that. I had a random what if question go through my mind. What if it was the Truthwatchers that kept their Oaths and the Stormwardens are a remnant/off shoot of that Order?

Though I almost dismissed that idea straightaway because there is one HUGE whole with that little theory, namely why haven't they come out as Surgebinders? But then again you could probably ask that about any of the other potential remnant Orders.

So, I don't know just thought i should share to see if anyone else had any potential ideas about it.

So ...

• The infused creatures in the Highstorm. Larval chasmfiends?

If you mean when Shallan and Kaladin where in the chasms, I presumed those creatures they saw/sensed/whatever were new stormform Parshendi.

from WoR:

Light came from above, too steady to be lightning.  Something was glowing on the plateau.  Something that moved.  It was hard to see, since water streamed off the side of the plateau above, falling in a sheet before their refuge.  He swore he saw an enormous figure walking up there, a glowing inhuman form, followed by another, alien and sleek.  Striding into the storm.  Leg after leg, until the glow passed.

Only two, with leg after leg (implying many legs), check.

Inhuman form, check.

Enormous, check. 

Not stormform Parshendi, check.

from WoR:

Only two, with leg after leg (implying many legs), check.

Inhuman form, check.

Enormous, check. 

Not stormform Parshendi, check.

Inhuman doesn't necessarily mean non-humanoid. Didn't they have weird spikes or something? 

Leg after Leg I presumed meant a crowd - didn't a ton of Parshendi transform during that storm?

I also..maybe skimmed the word enormous, but I think it was a perspective thing maybe, that since they were above they seemed massive.

However, you make a good point and I'm very willing to be open-minded and hope it's the Reshi isles thunderclasts or something way cooler. So thanks. :D

Edited by Delightful

• Chaos locked this topic