Why didn’t Marsh compound speed?

Elsecaller_17.5

22 minutes ago, Truthwatcher_17.5 said:

Seriously I have no idea. We know he has both steel powers so he could, but we never see him do it. The only feasible explanation is that he didn’t know how to, but wouldn’t he have been updated after TLR’s fall or Ruin would have told him?

Marsh never needed to compound speed.  I imagine that he can but when would he have used it?

1 hour ago, Karger said:

Marsh never needed to compound speed.  I imagine that he can but when would he have used it?

Yes, in fact he is shown in some POVs while under Ruin's control to be holding himself back and slowing down on purpose, to further Ruin's deceptions. Like when he "dueled" with Penrod in order to put a hemalurgic spike into his heart.

If you mean, why didn't he just tap out a steelmind and obliterate Elend or Vin when fighting them, the answer is he wanted to get information out of them about where the atium store was.

7 hours ago, robardin said:

Yes, in fact he is shown in some POVs while under Ruin's control to be holding himself back and slowing down on purpose, to further Ruin's deceptions. Like when he "dueled" with Penrod in order to put a hemalurgic spike into his heart.

But he can only control his thoughts and it doesn’t seem that he has control over his powers.  In that scene he’s holding back at Ruin’s direction and Ruin takes total control for placing the spike. I don’t know how to add quotes from books but it’s chapter 42.

7 hours ago, robardin said:

If you mean, why didn't he just tap out a steelmind and obliterate Elend or Vin when fighting them, the answer is he wanted to get information out of them about where the atium store was.

But he still could have captured them.

9 hours ago, Karger said:

A specific example would be when he fought Vin in Yolen’s chamber. He also could have used just when traveling anywhere or in the big final battle. 

10 minutes ago, Truthwatcher_17.5 said:

A specific example would be when he fought Vin in Yolen’s chamber. He also could have used just when traveling anywhere or in the big final battle. 

He was going to win that fight.  Vin's draw on the mists move made him run.  Also he did not want to tip his hand an reveal his F powers too soon.  He could have used it while traveling we don't know.

Edited by Karger

22 minutes ago, Karger said:

He was going to win that fight.  Vin's draw on the mists move made him run.  Also he did not want to tip his hand an reveal his F powers too soon.  He could have used it while traveling we don't know.

That’s a fair point, but Vin had already seen an Inquisitor use F-steel and I think she would assume all of them. At that point it was the endgame anyways, so why not dominate and not worry about tipping  your hand early?  

I promise I’m not being (aggressively) antagonistic. I just really want an answer that makes sense to me.

19 minutes ago, Truthwatcher_17.5 said:

That’s a fair point, but Vin had already seen an Inquisitor use F-steel and I think she would assume all of them. At that point it was the endgame anyways, so why not dominate and not worry about tipping  your hand early?  

Even in the endgame it is still good to have some cards.  Remember Ruin saw Vin as one of his agents so why kill her?  He goal was information that he suspected Yomen or Vin had.  As long as Marsh was there to extract the info it realy did not matter who won the fight.  The fight itself was just a distraction after all.

4 minutes ago, Karger said:

Even in the endgame it is still good to have some cards.  Remember Ruin saw Vin as one of his agents so why kill her?  He goal was information that he suspected Yomen or Vin had.  As long as Marsh was there to extract the info it realy did not matter who won the fight.  The fight itself was just a distraction after all.

That’s it! Thank you!

6 minutes ago, Karger said:

Remember Ruin saw Vin as one of his agents so why kill her?

Right there!

I hadn’t considered she was still spiked!

PLOT HOLE AVOIDED!

27 minutes ago, WhiteEmporer said:

I've wondered. Can matching A and F powers granted by hemalurgy be compounded? It occured to me that the different identities could interfere with using them together that way. Kind of like the limiting factor we saw for the medallions in BoM.

Any WoBs on this?

The Identity isnt an issue, once you get spiked your identity shifts to encompass the new piece of spiritweb that's been grafted on.  Your identity "muddies" the identity that came from the original user  [WOB]

4 minutes ago, Quantus said:

The Identity isnt an issue, once you get spiked your identity shifts to encompass the new piece of spiritweb that's been grafted on.  Your identity "muddies" the identity that came from the original user  [WOB]

Huh. Interesting.  Thanks for the WoB, I'd never seen that. Although it still seems plausible that the "muddying" Brandon talks about could interfere with compounding. Perhaps not, though.

• Chaos locked this topic