Did Hoid Shatter Adonalsium? Fan theory

jjreeder

Whilst pondering who Hoid could be, and what his place in the Cosmere might be, other than being a wanderer and researcher, I came upon an interesting thought that I'm sure has been thought of before, but I wanted to see what everyone else thinks about it.

Did Hoid Shatter Adonalsium?

Hoid always has been a secretive fellow, popping up at seemingly random moments in the Cosmere, and somehow knowledgeable of facts that even the people of the same world do not know. He was even said to have been offered a Shard after the Shattering. But could he be the villain of the Cosmere, the one no one saw coming, yet was in opposition to and powerful enough to destroy Adonalsium. It sounds ridiculous at first glance, but then, you never can tell with Hoid.

Here are my thoughts on the matter...

1. Hoid has been seen gaining one or more spren on Roshar, which could possibly mean he is trying to gain power.

2. He is involved with not just one or two worlds, as some Worldhoppers are, but is involved in pretty much EVERY one. Could he be keeping track of the Cosmere in order to know what he was dealing with if/when he rose back to power?

3. How could he know so much about all of the magic systems, sometimes even aware of things inhabitants of the involved world don't know, and he sometimes mentions the Shards as if he knows them like friends. Is there a reason for this?

Anyhow, I just wanted to se what you guys thought, as it was an idea I'd long pondered but finally wanted to put some evidence together just to se what you guys thought. Crush my theory. PLEASE!!! I really don't want Hoid to be evil!!! ;)

38 minutes ago, jjreeder said:

1. Hoid has been seen gaining one or more spren on Roshar, which could possibly mean he is trying to gain power.

He's trying to collect Investiture of all kinds, not just powerful ones, just all of them.

39 minutes ago, jjreeder said:

2. He is involved with not just one or two worlds, as some Worldhoppers are, but is involved in pretty much EVERY one. Could he be keeping track of the Cosmere in order to know what he was dealing with if/when he rose back to power?

That's just what he does in his quest to collect/access all the Investiture systems. He goes places, does things, guided by Fortune.

40 minutes ago, jjreeder said:

3. How could he know so much about all of the magic systems, sometimes even aware of things inhabitants of the involved world don't know, and he sometimes mentions the Shards as if he knows them like friends. Is there a reason for this?

He's the second-oldest being in the cosmere. He's older than the Shards, saw the Shattering, was friends with several of them (Tanavast bought him a drink or two once).

Hoid was even offered a Shard, but declined. In short, he didn't do it, but he was aware it was going to happen and couldn't/didn't stop it.

Hoid was present at the Shattering, he thought it was kinda necessary, and he was offered a Shard. Plus his immortality is due to the remnants of the weapon used to Shatter Adonalsium. So he was certainly involved. But the Shattering wasn't by one person, so he's not the one who Shattered Adonalsium, but he was certainly resent and at least partially involved.

Supplementary WoBs:

Zas678 (paraphrased)

How about a confirmation one? We have a secondhand report from Miyabi actually, that says that Hoid was at the Shattering of Adonalsium. Was he there?

Brandon Sanderson (paraphrased)

Yes he was. 

Writing for Charity Conference (March 17, 2012)

Wyndlerunner

You said that Hoid knows all sixteen of the original Vessels. Was he ever involved in their little, "We're going to Shatter Adonalsium," thing?

Brandon Sanderson

Involved? Under loose definitions, yes.

Legion Release Party (Sept. 19, 2018)

Questioner

Did Hoid think of the Shattering as necessary?

Brandon Sanderson

*pause* Kind of.

Oathbringer London signing (Nov. 28, 2017)

The Only Joe (paraphrased)

Was Hoid offered one of the Shards we know about?

Brandon Sanderson (paraphrased)

You know, I can't remember which Shards I've shown you, Wait, no I haven't shown you that one.

Firefight Portland signing (Jan. 16, 2015)

Valhalla

So, you talked about a weapon made by the enemies of Adonalsium, and you said it doesn't exist in it's original form. Do any remnants of it still exist in the Physical Realm?

Brandon Sanderson

Yes.

Valhalla

Have we seen any of those remnants on-screen?

Brandon Sanderson

*pause* RAFO.

In current continuity (and people would know this), Hoid's immortality comes from this. People who have read Dragonsteel know that.

Idaho Falls signing (July 21, 2018)

Edited by RShara

5 minutes ago, ZenBossanova said:

That is not a detail I have heard before. 

Oops, I left that one out.

Valhalla

So, you talked about a weapon made by the enemies of Adonalsium, and you said it doesn't exist in it's original form. Do any remnants of it still exist in the Physical Realm?

Brandon Sanderson

Yes.

Valhalla

Have we seen any of those remnants on-screen?

Brandon Sanderson

*pause* RAFO.

In current continuity (and people would know this), Hoid's immortality comes from this. People who have read Dragonsteel know that.

Idaho Falls signing (July 21, 2018)

On 07/06/2019 at 2:59 AM, jjreeder said:

I think these are all answered with the same vague response: RAFO. He has a plan that concerns uniting all the magic systems and visiting the individual planets. I've always imagined his conversing with certain individuals akin to Jacob from Lost in that every interaction is not a coincidence and is instead part of a larger plan that we are unaware of at the time.

11 hours ago, Wander89 said:

I think these are all answered with the same vague response: RAFO. He has a plan that concerns uniting all the magic systems and visiting the individual planets. I've always imagined his conversing with certain individuals akin to Jacob from Lost in that every interaction is not a coincidence and is instead part of a larger plan that we are unaware of at the time.

In the short story The Traveler, wasn't it alluded to that he's trying to bring someone back from the Beyond or something like that? 

2 hours ago, Use the Falchion said:

In the short story The Traveler, wasn't it alluded to that he's trying to bring someone back from the Beyond or something like that? 

Yep, that's the theory I've been expounding, at least. I should probably finally make a topic on the matter.

8 hours ago, Use the Falchion said:

But why take the Investiture? None of those have been able to bring people back from the dead, have they? I mean, I know there are those that have came back however it's not necessarily the magic systems that do those.

35 minutes ago, Wander89 said:

But why take the Investiture? None of those have been able to bring people back from the dead, have they? I mean, I know there are those that have came back however it's not necessarily the magic systems that do those.

Well we have no idea what is involved in his theory of how to bring someone back from the Beyond. It might involve Connections to every planet, or a certain baseline of investiture, or he needs them in order to get what he actually needs, or he just really likes to have a variety of powers.

10 hours ago, RShara said:

Well we have no idea what is involved in his theory of how to bring someone back from the Beyond. It might involve Connections to every planet, or a certain baseline of investiture, or he needs them in order to get what he actually needs, or he just really likes to have a variety of powers.

Yeah, we definitely have to know more but I'm totally on for the fact that Hoid wants to become some Connection powerhouse machine to fight the enemies of the Cosmere

• Chaos locked this topic