Naurock

Just Read The Series

16 posts in this topic

Really liked it. It almost felt weird enjoying it so much when it's a YA series and I'm 31. I've seen the complaints about the rushed ending, and felt it a bit too. But it didn't ruin the series for me. 

Prof was such a great character. I really liked that his weakness was fear of failure when he's putting everything on the line. So many people fear failure and will self sabotage so they have the fall back answer. That was cool to me. 

I expected David's transformation to take place sooner. I thought once he survived the tower with Megan it would be a rapid descent into figuring out how to use Steelheart's power set leading to a battle to bring back Prof.

3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

I loved the series, and I think It would have been awesome if David was turned into an Epic in Firefight. 

Edited by Spook'o
1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I read this series over 2 weeks. It's not long, it's good. Maybe not perfect. Maybe not super deep. But it is good. Honestly, I think the ending is less rushed if you read book three right after finishing two. I actually really liked how it ended.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, HSuperLee said:

I read this series over 2 weeks. It's not long, it's good. Maybe not perfect. Maybe not super deep. But it is good. Honestly, I think the ending is less rushed if you read book three right after finishing two. I actually really liked how it ended.

Pretty much did the same thing. Read all 3 books in like 3ish weeks (work really put a cramp in my reading style). It was a fun series. 

I think everyone was just so used to more "missions" towards the final goal. With Prof not fully on board and creating a mission towards beating Calamity, essentially no plan at all might have turned some people off.

I'm an epic fantasy reader mostly, and I think most people reading Sanderson are. So people wanted a more fleshed out ending.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I really enjoyed the series, but I also read it before reading anything in the Cosmere. I believe I only read Rithmatist and Alcatraz before Steelheart and I didn't move into the Cosmere until this (school) year when I read Mistborn and Stormlight. Skyward was great too.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/13/2019 at 9:43 PM, Naurock said:

I've seen the complaints about the rushed ending, and felt it a bit too. But it didn't ruin the series for me. 

The rushed ending in Calamity was my largest criticism of the series. I would highly recommend re-reading Calamity. The 2nd time around I found the pacing to flow a lot better and enjoyed the book as a whole quite a bit more.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, same. Yes, the rushed ending upset me, but the series is amazing and I highly recommend rereading it.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

This is honestly my favorite series, and Prof was definitely a favorite character of mine. His character development is really awesome!

I loved Calamity, except all the plot twists thrown into the epilogue 

Spoiler

But that could be because I'm mainly upset that Mizzy got powers and we didn't find out what they were

 

Edited by SandersonFanderson
Typo
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mizzy book would be fun

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/13/2019 at 8:43 PM, Naurock said:

I expected David's transformation to take place sooner. I thought once he survived the tower with Megan it would be a rapid descent into figuring out how to use Steelheart's power set leading to a battle to bring back Prof.

I actually felt similar. He gave us enough of a foreshadow that we knew he had some level of Steelheart's power set, but he didn't even use it actively until the very end. Even when he had the dowser fail against him several times I still knew he had the powers, which made it more interesting that he didn't have him explore them. It was like he wanted to deny it so much that he pretended he didn't have them.

"If I think hard enough, I won't be the thing I hate most. Like a peanut butter and goat cheese sandwich thinking that it won't be eaten."

- David

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I feel like that book has a wide open ending allowing another to br written, following David as he attempts to take down obliteration with his new found abuilities. I realy hope that at some point in the future there is another book

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/13/2019 at 6:43 PM, Naurock said:

Really liked it. It almost felt weird enjoying it so much when it's a YA series and I'm 31. I've seen the complaints about the rushed ending, and felt it a bit too. But it didn't ruin the series for me. 

Prof was such a great character. I really liked that his weakness was fear of failure when he's putting everything on the line. So many people fear failure and will self sabotage so they have the fall back answer. That was cool to me. 

I expected David's transformation to take place sooner. I thought once he survived the tower with Megan it would be a rapid descent into figuring out how to use Steelheart's power set leading to a battle to bring back Prof.

Congrats. You're a Sanderfan.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/12/2019 at 8:20 AM, Scion of the Mists said:

@SandersonFanderson If it makes you feel any better, if he ever goes back to Reckoners, he'd do a Mizzy book.  That's why he didn't get into it in Calamity, because he wanted the freedom to change it.  His current idea is something involving detonations.  

I was not aware of the detonations. Whatever it is, I'm sure it'll be cool!

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just watch as Brandon builds up hype for years, then gives Mizzy the power to make peanut butter and goat cheese sandwiches.

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

51 minutes ago, Mushroom Catalog said:

Just watch as Brandon builds up hype for years, then gives Mizzy the power to make peanut butter and goat cheese sandwiches.

WHY AM I OUT OF UPVOTES

Edited by Lunamor
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.