Just Read The Series

Naurock

Really liked it. It almost felt weird enjoying it so much when it's a YA series and I'm 31. I've seen the complaints about the rushed ending, and felt it a bit too. But it didn't ruin the series for me. 

Prof was such a great character. I really liked that his weakness was fear of failure when he's putting everything on the line. So many people fear failure and will self sabotage so they have the fall back answer. That was cool to me. 

I expected David's transformation to take place sooner. I thought once he survived the tower with Megan it would be a rapid descent into figuring out how to use Steelheart's power set leading to a battle to bring back Prof.

I read this series over 2 weeks. It's not long, it's good. Maybe not perfect. Maybe not super deep. But it is good. Honestly, I think the ending is less rushed if you read book three right after finishing two. I actually really liked how it ended.

Just now, HSuperLee said:

I read this series over 2 weeks. It's not long, it's good. Maybe not perfect. Maybe not super deep. But it is good. Honestly, I think the ending is less rushed if you read book three right after finishing two. I actually really liked how it ended.

Pretty much did the same thing. Read all 3 books in like 3ish weeks (work really put a cramp in my reading style). It was a fun series. 

I think everyone was just so used to more "missions" towards the final goal. With Prof not fully on board and creating a mission towards beating Calamity, essentially no plan at all might have turned some people off.

I'm an epic fantasy reader mostly, and I think most people reading Sanderson are. So people wanted a more fleshed out ending.

On 3/13/2019 at 9:43 PM, Naurock said:

I've seen the complaints about the rushed ending, and felt it a bit too. But it didn't ruin the series for me. 

The rushed ending in Calamity was my largest criticism of the series. I would highly recommend re-reading Calamity. The 2nd time around I found the pacing to flow a lot better and enjoyed the book as a whole quite a bit more.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This is honestly my favorite series, and Prof was definitely a favorite character of mine. His character development is really awesome!

I loved Calamity, except all the plot twists thrown into the epilogue 

Spoiler

But that could be because I'm mainly upset that Mizzy got powers and we didn't find out what they were

Edited by SandersonFanderson
Typo

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/13/2019 at 8:43 PM, Naurock said:

I expected David's transformation to take place sooner. I thought once he survived the tower with Megan it would be a rapid descent into figuring out how to use Steelheart's power set leading to a battle to bring back Prof.

I actually felt similar. He gave us enough of a foreshadow that we knew he had some level of Steelheart's power set, but he didn't even use it actively until the very end. Even when he had the dowser fail against him several times I still knew he had the powers, which made it more interesting that he didn't have him explore them. It was like he wanted to deny it so much that he pretended he didn't have them.

"If I think hard enough, I won't be the thing I hate most. Like a peanut butter and goat cheese sandwich thinking that it won't be eaten."

- David

On 3/13/2019 at 6:43 PM, Naurock said:

Really liked it. It almost felt weird enjoying it so much when it's a YA series and I'm 31. I've seen the complaints about the rushed ending, and felt it a bit too. But it didn't ruin the series for me. 

Prof was such a great character. I really liked that his weakness was fear of failure when he's putting everything on the line. So many people fear failure and will self sabotage so they have the fall back answer. That was cool to me. 

Congrats. You're a Sanderfan.

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/12/2019 at 8:20 AM, Scion of the Mists said:

@SandersonFanderson If it makes you feel any better, if he ever goes back to Reckoners, he'd do a Mizzy book.  That's why he didn't get into it in Calamity, because he wanted the freedom to change it.  His current idea is something involving detonations.  

I was not aware of the detonations. Whatever it is, I'm sure it'll be cool!

51 minutes ago, Mushroom Catalog said:

Just watch as Brandon builds up hype for years, then gives Mizzy the power to make peanut butter and goat cheese sandwiches.

WHY AM I OUT OF UPVOTES

Edited by Lunamor

• 4 months later...
13 hours ago, 1st of Lunch said:

Am I the only one who thought book two (Firefight) was a waste of paper?

Edit: Ok, that sounds a little harsh. I didn't hate it, but it definitely isn't my favorite of the series.

I enjoyed Firefight. Maybe not as much as Steelheart (my first Sanderson novel ever, so it has a special place in my heart), but I think it's written better than the first one. Now Calamity, I don't think is that great of a novel. On the bright side it shows that Sanderson still has some skills to improve on when it comes to fully ending a series - good for us because we can see the improvement in future series, good for him because we can hopefully give him that feedback. 

8 hours ago, Use the Falchion said:

I enjoyed Firefight. Maybe not as much as Steelheart (my first Sanderson novel ever, so it has a special place in my heart), but I think it's written better than the first one. Now Calamity, I don't think is that great of a novel. On the bright side it shows that Sanderson still has some skills to improve on when it comes to fully ending a series - good for us because we can see the improvement in future series, good for him because we can hopefully give him that feedback. 

I'm actually going through them again (3rd time I believe but maybe 4th) and have been debating on skipping Firefight and going straight to Calamity but I think I'll give it another chance.