Naurock

Just Read The Series

6 posts in this topic

Really liked it. It almost felt weird enjoying it so much when it's a YA series and I'm 31. I've seen the complaints about the rushed ending, and felt it a bit too. But it didn't ruin the series for me. 

Prof was such a great character. I really liked that his weakness was fear of failure when he's putting everything on the line. So many people fear failure and will self sabotage so they have the fall back answer. That was cool to me. 

I expected David's transformation to take place sooner. I thought once he survived the tower with Megan it would be a rapid descent into figuring out how to use Steelheart's power set leading to a battle to bring back Prof.

Posted (edited)

I loved the series, and I think It would have been awesome if David was turned into an Epic in Firefight. 

Edited by Spook'o

I read this series over 2 weeks. It's not long, it's good. Maybe not perfect. Maybe not super deep. But it is good. Honestly, I think the ending is less rushed if you read book three right after finishing two. I actually really liked how it ended.

Just now, HSuperLee said:

I read this series over 2 weeks. It's not long, it's good. Maybe not perfect. Maybe not super deep. But it is good. Honestly, I think the ending is less rushed if you read book three right after finishing two. I actually really liked how it ended.

Pretty much did the same thing. Read all 3 books in like 3ish weeks (work really put a cramp in my reading style). It was a fun series. 

I think everyone was just so used to more "missions" towards the final goal. With Prof not fully on board and creating a mission towards beating Calamity, essentially no plan at all might have turned some people off.

I'm an epic fantasy reader mostly, and I think most people reading Sanderson are. So people wanted a more fleshed out ending.

I really enjoyed the series, but I also read it before reading anything in the Cosmere. I believe I only read Rithmatist and Alcatraz before Steelheart and I didn't move into the Cosmere until this (school) year when I read Mistborn and Stormlight. Skyward was great too.

On 3/13/2019 at 9:43 PM, Naurock said:

I've seen the complaints about the rushed ending, and felt it a bit too. But it didn't ruin the series for me. 

The rushed ending in Calamity was my largest criticism of the series. I would highly recommend re-reading Calamity. The 2nd time around I found the pacing to flow a lot better and enjoyed the book as a whole quite a bit more.