The Tragedy of Oathbringer

Mason Wheeler

Just realized something:

• Dalinar's fatal flaw is his rage and his addiction to the Thrill.
  • Evi's fatal flaw is her naivete.
  • Tanalan's fatal flaw is his pride.
  • Everything collides at the Rift to produce a horrifying problem for Dalinar that isn't truly anyone's fault, simply the inevitable result of everyone acting according to their character.
  • It gets resolved through the personal intervention of one of the Gods.

The Oathbringer flashback sequence is a classical tragedy.

37 minutes ago, Mason Wheeler said:

Just realized something:

• Everything collides at the Rift to produce a horrifying problem for Dalinar that is truly everyone's fault, simply the inevitable result of everyone acting according to their character.

fixed it B)

Did you ever hear the Tragedy of High Prince Dalinar the Blackthorn? I thought not. It's not a story the Radiants would tell you. It's a Singer legend. Dalinar was a High Prince of the Alethi, so powerful and so angry he could use the thrill to defeat opponents with shardplate and shardblade... He had such a mastery of the thrill that he could keep the family he cared about from dying. The thrill is a pathway to many abilities some consider to be unnatural. He became so powerful... the only thing he was afraid of was losing his family, which eventually, of course, he did. It's ironic he could protect his wife from others, but not himself.

1 minute ago, Subvisual Haze said:

Did you ever hear the Tragedy of High Prince Dalinar the Blackthorn? I thought not. It's not a story the Radiants would tell you. It's a Singer legend. Dalinar was a High Prince of the Alethi, so powerful and so angry he could use the thrill to defeat opponents with shardplate and shardblade... He had such a mastery of the thrill that he could keep the family he cared about from dying. The thrill is a pathway to many abilities some consider to be unnatural. He became so powerful... the only thing he was afraid of was losing his family, which eventually, of course, he did. It's ironic he could protect his wife from others, but not himself.

Thank you for this

9 hours ago, Subvisual Haze said:

May the Farce be with you!

On 1/10/2019 at 11:25 AM, Mason Wheeler said:

Just realized something:

• Everything collides at the Rift to produce a horrifying problem for Dalinar that isn't truly anyone's fault, simply the inevitable result of everyone acting according to their character.

This is actually something I feel very strongly about. It really was just the perfect storm of events that led to a horrible tragedy. And not just Evi’s death, but all of it. Though Dalinar technically directly killed Evi, it isn’t like he was trying to do that. Man, I can’t even adequately put how I feel about this into words. I keep typing and erasing. Basically, I think this is one of the most beautifully tragic stories I have ever read. And it is made even more perfect by where it led Dalinar in the future, ultimately coming to Dalinar’s actions at the end of Oathbringer which were absolutely magnificent. (If you can’t tell, Dalinar might be my favorite character ever.)

• Chaos locked this topic