Greetings from the middle of nowhere

Hey everyone. Dresden_Stormblessed here. Overwhelmed by the Cosmere and the info on this site but...diving in anyway!

My question is: How did you come up with your username?

I'll answer my own question: I am a huge Jim Butcher fan and since he hasn't published a novel in years, I started looking for other authors and got introduced to Brandon. I'm quite a fan. So, I combined my two favorites characters names: Harry Dresden & Kaladin Stormblessed. But...after Oathbringer, my favorite is now definitely the Blackthorn. *shrugs*

Glad to meet you all!

Welp, my normal name is SarcasticRavens because I have a tendency to be sarcastic (and smart-alecky) and ravens because lots of people call me Raven over the internet (which came from my tag being Ravenclaw_Gamer back before I read Mistborn and it became my favorite, sorry JK.) If someone hasn't told you this it's currently Ookla the Sarcastic because it's Ookla season.

2 hours ago, Dresden_Stormblessed said:

I noticed this and looked into it. Not sure how to change my name but I like the tradition.

Don't we hear some news soon since it's Ookla season?

December 19th is Brandon's birthday (aka Koloss Head Munching Day), which is when he releases the "State of the Sanderson", his yearly update of his projects, on his website.

Greetings, fellow Dresenphile!

Quantus is what Ive used since my AIM/ICQ days in highschool (~Y2K) is a bastardization of Quantum Traveler, which was in turn a really obscure Star Trek TNG reference (the guy that taught Wesley that Space, Time, and Thought were all the same thing, and who eventually unlocked his superpowers). 

I was also Quantus on the JimButcher forums, did you ever haunt there?

PS. The Cookie is a lie.  Today is National Cookie Day. On this day, or any other day, NEVER accept cookies from strangers...

Welcome, I'm somewhat new myself, but it took me longer to join the forum after I started reading the books.

As for my name, most of it is Elantris stuff (sorry) but mostly I just found it interesting that there are Aon's for lots of cosmere terms, and then there is one that means Unity. I decided that I liked that a term used in a large scene in Oathbringer also just happened to be an Aon, so I based my name on that Aon. I also liked the design of Aon Are, so that's an added bonus.

Welcome man! Like the previous poster I'm pretty new to the forums too, but have been reading Sanderson's books for a couple of years now.

I came up with my name by what I always imagined people viewing me as, that one tall guy. So I thought I'd be cute and change the that to dat. 

So what made you join the forum? I joined it because of a paper I was working on and eventually just got sucked in and ended up checking in every once in a while. 

16 hours ago, Ookla the Sarcastic said:

Also, as you may need a bit of advice, always accepted any cookies offered to you on this website.

Sorry. Still a noob. What are these cookies exactly? I mean...If I had to choose a cookie other than chocolate chip, it'd be turtle thumbprint cookies. Can I link recipes on here? Want to share the love if you know what I mean.

Sorry, I'm hungry.

15 hours ago, Quantus said:

Greetings, fellow Dresenphile!

Quantus is what Ive used since my AIM/ICQ days in highschool (~Y2K) is a bastardization of Quantum Traveler, which was in turn a really obscure Star Trek TNG reference (the guy that taught Wesley that Space, Time, and Thought were all the same thing, and who eventually unlocked his superpowers). 

I was also Quantus on the JimButcher forums, did you ever haunt there?

PS. The Cookie is a lie.  Today is National Cookie Day. On this day, or any other day, NEVER accept cookies from strangers...

Nice! Probably the most intricate username story I've heard so far.

I was never on the JimButcher forums and I regret it. I don't have anyone to nerd out with about Dresden so I came here to nerd out about BS. Can't complain.

Any cool links on here you think I should read? Up for anything. I'm the biggest fan of Stormlight but it's a lot to take in honestly. Gonna do a reread here pretty soon. After all the typos everyone has found, is he going to re-publish with the corrections?

@DatOneTallGuy I joined for a couple reasons. First being I need someone to nerd out with because I live in the Appalachian Mtns. and all that's out here is farmers and country folk that shun nerds. Second, is I just gave WoK to a friend of mine and want to freshen up on some of the material so I can show him just how big this universe is. Third, I wanted a cookie (even though I don't get what those cookies are). And lastly, there is just so much going on here, I wanted to dive in. I don't think I'll ever understand the Cosmere as well as some of the people on here (seriously, how do they have time for all this study?) but I'd like to understand most of it. BS is a god of an author that publishes like nobody I've ever heard of so I want to get on the train while it's still in 2nd gear (I say second gear because there is still SOOOO much material to be written).

31 minutes ago, Dresden_Stormblessed said:

Nice! Probably the most intricate username story I've heard so far.

I was never on the JimButcher forums and I regret it. I don't have anyone to nerd out with about Dresden so I came here to nerd out about BS. Can't complain.

Any cool links on here you think I should read? Up for anything. I'm the biggest fan of Stormlight but it's a lot to take in honestly. Gonna do a reread here pretty soon. After all the typos everyone has found, is he going to re-publish with the corrections?

Id say start with the Coppermind link at the top, it's the wiki collection for the Cosmere.  After that Arcanum is the Word Of Brandon collection, which has tons of really interesting information about the inner workings of the Cosmere and the ways all the different stories and systems interact, compiled from various Interviews, Q&A sessions, etc.  If you are looking for an entry point on either of those, "Hoid" is a great keyword to start delving the mysteries.  Be warned, it's right up there with TVTropes.com for its ability to just blink away hours of time without you noticing.    

1 minute ago, Quantus said:

Id say start with the Coppermind link at the top, it's the wiki collection for the Cosmere.  After that Arcanum is the Word Of Brandon collection, which has tons of really interesting information about the inner workings of the Cosmere and the ways all the different stories and systems interact, compiled from various Interviews, Q&A sessions, etc.  If you are looking for an entry point on either of those, "Hoid" is a great keyword to start delving the mysteries.  Be warned, it's right up there with TVTropes.com for its ability to just blink away hours of time without you noticing.    

Roger that. Thank you my friend!

23 hours ago, Dresden_Stormblessed said:

I am a huge Jim Butcher fan and since he hasn't published a novel in years, I started looking for other authors and got introduced to Brandon.

I love the Dresden Files! And of the Codex Alera and the Cinder Spires, too!

And of course: Hello and welcome to the shard!

My usual username Sorana, is one of my roleplaying characters ;)

1 minute ago, Dresden_Stormblessed said:

Anywhere on the 17th shard people nerd out about other topics too? i.e. food, Jim Butcher, etc. ?

Sure!

Scroll down the page to the General Discussion. There's a whole part of the forum reserved for books, movies and so on.