Lopen's possible 'order'

Does any of you have any idea to which order might lopen belong to? i.e. is there any supposed theory about this. I am bringing this up because I remember reading in the words of radiance that the 'willshapers', as a whole, were decidedly odd, only joined by there common love for oddity and adventure.

Also, I know i am supposed to post this in some other thread, by I am lazy...............Does anyone of you have any idea about the next Brandon Sanderson release date, and the book that will be released.

Well, there is a good chance of him being a Squire. However there are plenty of people who believe that Lopen is his own individual Knight. I belong in the second party. The next book should be Steelheart book two and should be released this fall/winter.

I'm not saying he will not become a Radiant in the future, but I find it unlikely that he is on his path to it right now. Other than fitting well with Squiredom, he doesn't seem to have a Spren at this point.

Well, there is a good chance of him being a Squire. However there are plenty of people who believe that Lopen is his own individual Knight. I belong in the second party. The next book should be Steelheart book two and should be released this fall/winter.

Why do you think Lopen is a Radiant rather than a squire?

First, seeing your Spren doesn't neccesarily happen quickly at all.Kaladin had Syl for months and I think Dalinar has been using stormlight for a while-I can't remember if this has been proved or not- If Renarin had actually ever been in a situation where he needed stormlight he probably could have drawn on it. The Lopen loosing his arm could definitely have broken him, even if Bridge 4 didn't. I can see Lopen as being a Willshaper or a Edgedancer- he's too cheerful for a Windrunner I think. The Lopen wasn't near Kaladin when he drew on the Spheres although we don't know if proximity really matters. Finally The Lopen would just be awesome as a KR. Same reasoning for Rlain if you're interested.

It would be quite the coincidence that Lopen inhaled stormlight when other from Bridge Four did it as well. I can see your reasons, but I'm still in the squire camp.  I'd love some Lopen/spren interactions, though. It would be hilarious.

Edited by Aleksiel

First, seeing your Spren doesn't neccesarily happen quickly at all.Kaladin had Syl for months and I think Dalinar has been using stormlight for a while-I can't remember if this has been proved or not- If Renarin had actually ever been in a situation where he needed stormlight he probably could have drawn on it.

Dalinar's case is somewhat odd, but I suppose it would be considering

he bonded Stormfather

Your argument is somewhat strange even so. Kaladin had Syl for several months before he started fully interacting with her. But he went several months longer longer before he started using Stormlight consciously. The same seems to be true for both Ym, Lift, Shallan and Jasnah.

I don't think any Radiant would get to the point of gaining the ability to inhale Stormlight purposely without at least noticing their Spren. Of course, Lopen might have a Spren we know nothing about, but it seems strange that he wouldn't have at least thought about it in his PoV chapter. Especially considering that he knows about Syl and her relationship with Kaladin. To reiterate, I don't think it beyond the reach of plausibility that Lopen will be a Radiant someday, but I firmly believe that he is not on his way to becoming one by the end of the Words of Radiance.

The Lopen loosing his arm could definitely have broken him

Help me out here cause I have seen the broken thing mentioned a lot on the forums. Is this a WoB thing or is it just speculation that they have to be broken to become radiants? 

Help me out here cause I have seen the broken thing mentioned a lot on the forums. Is this a WoB thing or is it just speculation that they have to be broken to become radiants?

This is a prevelant theme in the cosmere, that a person can only use the powers given by the local shard(i.e. investiture), when he is spiritually broken, or that his spirit is broken-Like the snapping in mistborn.

Urk, I was kind of hoping Kurk or Weiry would step up to the plate here. There are several WoBs on this (as well as just general Cosmere knowledge), but I don't have the time to make a longer post right now. If you've gotten no love by later tonight, I'll make an effort to slap you with some serious Cosmere-awareness!

Firefight is planned for January 6, 2015.

Urk, I was kind of hoping Kurk or Weiry would step up to the plate here. There are several WoBs on this (as well as just general Cosmere knowledge), but I don't have the time to make a longer post right now. If you've gotten no love by later tonight, I'll make an effort to slap you with some serious Cosmere-awareness!

Oi, I need to see a thread before I can step up to the plate!  I think the most relevant piece is the back-of-book blurb for WoR:

The Knights Radiant must stand again.

The ancient oaths have at last been spoken; the spren return. Men seek that which was lost. I fear the struggle will destroy them.

It is the nature of the magic. A broken soul has cracks into which something else can be fit.  Surgebindings, the powers of creation themselves.  They can brace a broken soul; but they can also widen its fissures.

The Windrunner, lost in a shattered land, balanced upon the boundary between  vengeance and honor. The Lightweaver, slowly being consumed by her past, searching for the lie that she must become. The Bondsmith, born in blood and death, striving to rebuild what was destroyed. The Explorer, straddling the fates of two peoples, forced to  choose between slow death and a terrible betrayal of all she believes.

It is past time for them to awaken, for the Everstorm looms.

And the Assassin has arrived.

Edit: and I'm going to move this to the spoiler forum..

Edited by WeiryWriter

Here is one that kinda touches on it.

Q:  What other magic systems in the Cosmere have that same kind of, "If you use it a lot it gets better?"
A:  It is a little bit more like wedging open cracks in the soul by letting the Investiture come in, and it can open the cracks more.
Q:  Are there other magic systems like that?
A:  Yes.
Q:  Will we see those any time soon?
A:  Maybe...RAFO.

• Chaos locked this topic