Stupid is as Stupid Does - What we have seen and expect to see

WitSpren

We have seen lots of stupid things done in the books and I think that this would be a nice place to keep track of them.       What was he/she THINKING!!!    That was stupid - type things.

Mostly, I am not saying that they are bad, so far BS has done them in a way that makes them "Normal" mistakes that characters or people in general can and do make.     Please feel free to bring them all up here.

Mostly I am concerned about the Huge one that currently is in the making.      PARISHMEN.        OH Dear, they might turn into Voidbringers!!!!      We will just abandon them and close our eyes, so maybe they will just go away!!!!!

Does anyone else see anything wrong with this logic?

They have Relan to tel them how the process works.     I am not advocating the option of Mass Genocide - but that would certianally be better than abandoning them to become monsters & destroy the world!!

It is very obvious (at least to me) that they SHOULD just abandon the parishmen so that they could accidentally get caught out in a Highstorm  OR even worse get caught in an Everstorm!       

Is it realistic for the characters to make this mistake???       What should they do????        What do you think?

good point. We KNOW they are gonna change. Why not kill em all before they do? They leave them back at the camps, a defensible position, and shrug and say we'll deal with you in a bit. GAH now I am upset, that IS kinda dumb.

Eh, I don't mind that plan too much. I mean, exterminating the ones in the camps would definitely be the smartest move, and arguably ethical because they're highly likely to kill each and every one of those particular Parshmen later anyhow, but that would be utterly at odds with the First Ideal, and in the grand scheme of things it doesn't really matter. There are a lot more Parshmen in the world, and persuading anyone except Taravangian to take action before the Everstorm arrives is unlikely to happen. Abandoning them in the camps means they won't be inside Urithiru when they get converted. People have suggested keeping them indoors during the Everstorm, but the first pass is going to wreck quite a lot of buildings designed to resist storms from the other direction and we aren't entirely certain the conversion effect from the Everstorm will be blocked by structures anyways; the standard conversion requires being outside in a Highstorm, but that won't necessarily apply to the Everstorm.

They could try converting them into Parshendi in the hopes that will shield them from getting converted, I suppose, but I'm not sure they have the expertise or time. Rlain is familiar with the process but there's no particular reason to believe he knows exactly how to prep the trapped spren, and it's clearly not as simple as grabbing any spren and stuffing it into a gemstone for a unique form or the Parshendi would have a lot more forms known already. It's apparently also somewhat time-consuming to gather and prep them.

I'm also not sure converting them like Parshendi would even be possible. The transformation apparently relies on mental focus and emotions to synchronize with the spren, and I am not sure slaveform is up to the task.

My big "Argh, you idiot!" moment was Kaladin at the end of the duel. I mean, I actually initially thought that it was a great chance to get a trial by combat against Amaram because I didn't realize Darkeyes were actually forbidden from dueling, so it seemed a reasonable idea to piggyback on Adolin's challenge and if Amaram tried to back out he could pointedly ask why a man who supposedly claimed his Shards by killing the previous owner was so worried about single combat against a non-shardbearer. But as he was talking I got a sinking feeling that he was over-doing it.

Edited by name_here

Well, initially, Shallan didn't have any solid proof that the parshmen were going to become voidbringers.  She barely managed to convince them to leave the parshmen behind.

After that, they tried to let the other nations know what would happen to the parshmen, but most didn't believe them.

Also, killing defenseless parshmen seems like it would be against the whole Journey before destination thing.  The parshmen aren't a direct threat until they become voidbringers.  It's the difference between killing in cold blood and killing in a fight.

Also, killing defenseless parshmen seems like it would be against the whole Journey before destination thing.  The parshmen aren't a direct threat until they become voidbringers.  It's the difference between killing in cold blood and killing in a fight.

I agree, it does not seem like a very Radiant-ish thing to do to kill all parshmen everywhere. Which is a pity because of the massive amounts of suffering this is going to cause. Hopefully Taravangian won't be as restricted.

Or they could have used the Time Honored tradition of Concentration camps. If the Parshmen do change, Then they're all trapped. If they don't they can release the Parshmen afterwards.

If they do change, they change into smokeform and slip out of your camps. Or they become stormform and summon a second Everstorm. Or they become whatever summons thunderclasts and summon a bunch of those, which then knock over the walls of the concentration camp.

You can't hold a person with a Shardblade captive, and you most certainly can't hold a group of Voidbringers.

How about our antisocial heroes?  Or oblivious Dalinar?

I expect this trend to continue, especially with Sadeas being murdered and Kaladin killing Helaran (not to mention going back to Hearthstone).

I also fully expect Dalinar to keep misunderstanding what he's being told (he was never told to lead the Radiants).

• Chaos locked this topic