Interlude POVs in Book 3

Lightflame

So, I decided to make a topic for idle speculation about the Interlude POV characters in book three of the series. Just in case you forgot who the Interlude characters were in the past two books, I'll give you a recap.

The Way of Kings

- Szeth (Recurring)

- Ishikk: Purelaker guy talking with some worldhoppers on the Hunt for the Hoid

- Nan Balat: Shallan's brother

- Rysn: Thaylen merchant in training

- Axies: Aimian who wants to be the very best, like no one ever was, by catching all the spren and becoming a Spren Master.

- Baxil: A guy who hangs around with a woman who likes to destroy the likeness of Shalash (though to actually be Shalash). Wants to go to the Nightwatcher.

- Geranid: An Ardent who makes a discovery concerning spren.

Words of Radiance

- Eshonai (Recurring)

- Ym: A guy with Radiant powers. (Thought to be a Truthwatcher.) Killed by Nale.

- Rysn: Same girl from the last book.

- Taln: A madman claiming to be a Herald.

- Zahel: Vasher on the lam.

- Lift: A girl stealing food with her awesome powers.

- Szeth: Still the Assassin in White.

- Lhan: A lazy Ardent in Kholinar.

- Taravangian: Bad guy pretending to be good guy.

Interestingly enough, Szeth and Eshonai both get their books two books after being recurring Interlude characters. Don't expect this to hold, however. That would mean that Dalinar would be the recurring Interlude character in the next book.

Anyway, with these guys out of the way, it's time for some speculation on who the Interlude characters will be in Book 3. I'll offer my ideas for potential characters.

- Jasnah: Obviously book 3 will have lots of plotlines (Kaladin heading to Hearthstone, Szeth heading to Shinovar, Dalinar and Shallan holding the fort). Having Jasnah as one of the main characters would open a fourth plotline that would quite frankly stretch the book too thin. However, giving her an Interlude to show what she's up to and where she's going would allow us to get back into her head, and give us a glimpse of her before she meets up with the other Radiants. I could honestly see her being the recurring character and having her purposes explained, before she meets up with the others again at the end of the book. Or she could meet with them partway through after having an Interlude to show her travels.

- Eshonai: She seemingly died last book, so you know what would be a great way to show her survival? That's right, an Interlude! It would really work for getting us ready for whatever action she takes in book 4. Plus, Szeth had a Interlude in Book 2.

- Moash: Would allow the advancement of the Moash and Taravangian plotlines without shifting the focus away from the central plotlines of the book.

- Yalb: If he's alive, he could also have an Interlude to show his survival.

- Some random Shin person: Well, Szeth is going to Shinovar, so why not?

Please post your ideas.

I think everyone in Aimia is dead... You don't call something the Scourge, imply that even the animals suffered, and that a curse follows all survivors then have a happy community still living there. Possibly, a few hermits might have survived, as the Curse of Kind seems to do with interactions with others.

I would like a PoV from Iyatil or one of the other Ghostbloods. Think of the Cosmere hints!

Failing that, we should at least get another Lift interlude. To be honest, her flashback book is one of my most eagerly awaited Stormlight installments.

To some people, anyway. I know that anyone who doesn't like her tends to really dislikes her.

Me? I think she's AWESOME!

I think people are turned off by the idea of a whole book written like Lift's interlude. "Lift" doesn't read like the rest of Stormlight thus far; if I had to make a comparison, it reads more like Peter Pan than anything else. While incredible as a short story in the midst of WoR, a book from her perspective could seem out of place within the larger SA framework.

But the thing to remember is that she'll have aged by the time her book comes around--she'll be twenty-three. By that time she'll have matured and probably grown out of her street slang. She might even acknowledge that Wynkle is not a Voidbringer.

Personally, I'm looking forward for another brilliant character arc from Brandon Sanderson. I doubt Lift will be the same person in Stormlight 10 as she is now, but if BranSan knows what he's doing, we'll love her every step of the way.

As far as Lift is concerned... journey before destination. We will watch her and see how she grows. :)

I think it would be great to have each book have an interlude for her, it would be great to show a bit of her growing like that, until her book, but it will probably just be flashbacks in it. wouldn't it be awesome if her book was called "AWESOMENESS RETURNED"?

I am near certain we'll get an interlude showing the Stone Shamans. 

But the thing to remember is that she'll have aged by the time her book comes around--she'll be twenty-three. By that time she'll have matured and probably grown out of her street slang. She might even acknowledge that Wynkle is not a Voidbringer.

Some people forget Spook far too easily. 

Edited by Ketek

What interludes we get will, at least in part, depend on where our Protagonists take action and how fast they do so. For example Szeth is on his way to Shinovar, if he arrives there in the first or second part of the book (maybe we will have a time-skip this time) we most likely don´t need an interlude there, however, if he needs until the later parts of the book we will most likely get an interlude to show us how they deal with the Everstorm ect. Same with Kaladin and Kholinar (if he goes there in the first place). There is also a good chance that we get a viewpoint at the Purelake, which, unless Dalinar sends an agent there, will be in an Interlude. Additionally there are some recurring characters like Rysn and Taravengian, that we will almost certainly see but don´t get major viewpoints. The others depend on where something interesting is happening and which interesting parts of the world, that aren´t to spoilery we haven´t seen yet.

I hope there will be another Rysn interlude, I really want to know how her story continues!

Since Rysn and Axies have been in interludes in both the first two books, I'd expect them to be in book 3.  IIRC Geranid is also in the Reshi Isles and has possible reasons for meeting either of them.

Szeth presumably won't get interludes since it is his book.

I am thinking we will get a Rysn interlude as her story is still unfinished. I suspect it will have some significance at some point in the story. It maybe she will become a more prominent character later in the series.

I hope Szeth story will be resumed in a few chapters as I am not that interested in seeing him taking a larger role in the story. I would rather the story keeps focusing on the Kohlins, Kal and Shallan.

Jasnah interludes is quite possible as we need to see her moving from her remote place to wherever the main crew ends up being. That is unless she manages quickly to find her way to Urithriu.

I would love to have interludes featuring the king of Jah Keved's bastard (whom I keep forgetting the name). He made only two appearances in WoR, but he struck me as an interesting character. Especially since he ended being faithful to his father and the scene where the king coerce him into killing him was quite sad.

I think we need interludes of characters in Kohlinar. May be the depraved queen, I think I would like to see that. I would also like to know about Elhokar's son. We know he is an infant and since Elhokar was in the Shattered Plain for a while, I assumed he must be around 3-6 years old. Now, based on WoR's ending, we have inkling that Kohlinar may be one of the major plots. That would be interesting. I have wondered if Dalinar may send Adolin back home for punishment/safety after learning about the murder. Then he could meet up with Kal so we can get more bromance. Wishful thinking here.

Another Lift interlude is another possibility although I think it more likely that Elhokar will travel to Azir to meet up with Gwak. There was strong inkling that would happen based on the invitation at the end of WoR. This would put some of the main cast close to Lift and it would allow her to join them. Number 5 would thus be found.

I wouldn't mind an Elhokar chapter as well, but I do not want to see him become a more important character. I do feel much for him and I certainly do not want to see him become KR.

Edited by maxal

Of course. Stick the stick where it won't stick, I say. Let it stick around a while, but don't let it stick in your mind. It's just a stick, after all.

Just a stick? JUST A STICK?!?!  You have no idea of the horrible powers that you are toying with!

Seriously, I'd be happy to see it just pop in again in the story, if only for a couple of lines.  Something like Kaladin using a surge to make everything around him float, except for a single stick that stays on the ground.

I think that Sanderson won't put in too many from people that we've already met. I think there will be one re-occurring character and three ones we've already met at most.

I'd like to see one from an unknown in jah keved, shinovar and herdaz as it would be cool to know a bit more about those places

How about a Silent Gatherer, one of Lopens family (I'm telling you, those herdazians are up to something!). I'd also love a sebarial or Palona interlude because those two are just so far out from normal. I definitely think axies with his spren-searching will be relevant.

How about a Silent Gatherer, one of Lopens family (I'm telling you, those herdazians are up to something!). I'd also love a sebarial or Palona interlude because those two are just so far out from normal. I definitely think axies with his spren-searching will be relevant.

In lieu of upvoting, because quota, I just want to say that a Silent Gatherer interlude would be awesome and full of cool information. :)

What about a dying person's interlude? Possibly someone in Taravangian's hospital, and we see his PoV as he gives a Death Rattle? It would probably be just as insanely unintelligible as Taln's interlude, but I think it could be cool. We could finally get a better grasp on what they see.

In lieu of upvoting, because quota, I just want to say that a Silent Gatherer interlude would be awesome and full of cool information. :)

What about a dying person's interlude? Possibly someone in Taravangian's hospital, and we see his PoV as he gives a Death Rattle? It would probably be just as insanely unintelligible as Taln's interlude, but I think it could be cool. We could finally get a better grasp on what they see.

In lieu of upvoting, because quota, that would be awesome. So much potential UnMade info, also so much potential trolling. I'd want that only if it actually gives us information, not just "shadesmar! Sudden words I dont understand spilling from my lips! And.....I see the light!" 

I would love another interlude about the 17th shard. Possibly a viewpoint from someone actually in the organization.

Another lift interlude and rysn interlude are a must have. I need to know about the larkin and how lift met wyndle. Maybe even wyndles pov?

An interlude from the queen in kholinar would be really interesting to. Find out how she went so bad.

Also I'd like to see an interlude with the parshendi who didn't change to stormform.

I think jasnah is going to have chapters in the whole book not just interludes though. Her story arc is just too important to not have it be a big part of the third book