Question for Brandon (this weekend)

Hey guys! I'm at Jordancon this weekend. I will have the opportunity to ask Brandon Sanderson and Patrick Rothfuss some questions. I have so far:

Odium shattered Devotion and Dominion because they could oppose him. Did they have some special ability to do so or are any 2 shard on the same planet a danger to him?

If a Listener bonded an Honorspren would they get the same powers as a human? And if a Human bonded a stormspren would they have the same powers/consequences that the Listeners do? (Shamlessly stolen from a thread in the WoR discussion board)

What would be the real world carat value of a chip and a broam?

WoT spoiler

Was the Healing of Mat what caused his luck, or did it start with his connection to the dagger? (I've always thought it was the healing, but some disagree)

Lightsong notices that there is always enough room in the Palace for the Returned. Is there a cap on how many Returned may be alive at once or would they just build the Palace larger?

That's all i have any suggestions please post them for me

PS if this is in the rong area please relocate it for me 

Thanks Admins!!

Yeah this should probably to the Events Signings and Stalking thread, but I have no power to move it there.

Have you taken a look through the Ultimate List of Questions thread? There are plenty of good ones there.

My question from that thread a couple weeks ago:

Can one use Elsecalling as a method of Worldhopping?

Thanks!

http://www.17thshard.com/forum/topic/383-the-ultimate-list-of-questions-for-brandon/

EDIT: I've been ninja'd. Have the only original part of my post instead.

EDIT again: But be sure to ask about "Does Lift turn food directly into Stormlight, or does the food act like a gate for Stormlight to come through, like the metals in Allomancy?" since that's a hot question, as well as what Feruchemical Fortune actually means.

Edited by Observer

I'm not sure about the human/stormspren question, hasn't Brandon said that its impossible/very difficult for a human to bond a voidspren?  Regardless, I doubt it would work exactly the same way since the bonds would be different?

Also I thought Mat's luck was just a manifestation of his ta'vereness?

I'm not sure about the human/stormspren question, hasn't Brandon said that its impossible/very difficult for a human to bond a voidspren? Regardless, I doubt it would work exactly the same way since the bonds would be different?

Also I thought Mat's luck was just a manifestation of his ta'vereness?

I think he is referring to Mat's death in Book 4. Been a long time since I read that one, so I don't remember the details, but I don't think it can be attributed to his being a ta'veren. Could be wrong though, of course.

I think he is referring to Mat's death in Book 4. Been a long time since I read that one, so I don't remember the details, but I don't think it can be attributed to his being a ta'veren. Could be wrong though, of course.

I really don't see how that is in any way connected to what he was asking?

Admins, thanks for the move.

He has said (as far as I know) that there have not been Listener KR, but that it could be possible.

As to mat's thing, I was referencing the amazing luck (for random things). He was always able to win more than he lost, but it became something more than that. It is vaguely mentioned that he won while he had the dagger but pre-healing, but nothing like what happens once he tries to escape Tar Valon onward. Mat has many of the same manifestations of his ta'veren-ness as the other two, but his luck always seemed something above and beyond just mere ta'veren.

This extra luck (that does not have balance, it is always in his favor as long as it is random, and still in his favor but less often when less random) seems to occur after his healing, but definitely after his possesion of the dagger

If you're going, would you mind asking a couple of questions for me? I'm in Canada and don't have the opportunity to ask for myself...

1. Is entering a Shardpool of a Splintered Shard different from entering the Shardpool of a non-Splintered Shard?

2. Can Shardpools function in the same way as an Oathgate, transporting someone where they wish to go?

3. Are Shardpools a gateway between the Cognitive Realm and the Physical Realm?

Ima go ahead and say thanks on the off chance you might happen to actually ask one of these  :)

Have any of the Heralds been on a different Shardworlds since they split ways in the prelude?

Have any of the Heralds Returned? Could a Herald return?

Who was Vasher before he died? Was he a person of cosmeric significance back then?

If you're going, would you mind asking a couple of questions for me? I'm in Canada and don't have the opportunity to ask for myself...

1. Is entering a Shardpool of a Splintered Shard different from entering the Shardpool of a non-Splintered Shard?

2. Can Shardpools function in the same way as an Oathgate, transporting someone where they wish to go?

3. Are Shardpools a gateway between the Cognitive Realm and the Physical Realm?

Ima go ahead and say thanks on the off chance you might happen to actually ask one of these  :)

I'll do my best. I wonder how often in a Q&A i can ask things without bugging everyone :)

Edited by Asha'man Logain

At a recent signing, Brandon Sanderson said that Ashyn (silence divine world, Roshar system) has no shard currently. 

One question then would be:

Is Ashyn among the 10 core shardworlds.

Someone asked Brandon a Silence Divine question recently and he misunderstood it to be a Shadows for Silence question. I wouldn't be surprised if this was another instance of that. I guess it's easy to get confused by the two "Silence" titles.

Here's a question: Are newborn Listeners in slave form, or do they get bonded to a spren somehow before birth?

Edit: Also, I would suggest not asking questions that are RAFO-bait unless you really want a RAFO card. I suspect that any question that has to do with Shardpools will be RAFO'd.

Edited by skaa

Edit: Also, I would suggest not asking questions that are RAFO-bait unless you really want a RAFO card. I suspect that any question that has to do with Shardpools will be RAFO'd.

Although even getting a RAFO isn't a guarantee of the card... :(

*Totally not bitter...*  -_-

@Ashaman_Logain Yes I am aware that he has said that a listener could become a Radiant, however that was not what I was refering to in my post.  I was refering to the other scenario you posed, a human bonding a void spren which we know to be theoretically possible but extrememly difficult.

Someone asked Brandon a Silence Divine question recently and he misunderstood it to be a Shadows for Silence question. I wouldn't be surprised if this was another instance of that. I guess it's easy to get confused by the two "Silence" titles.

Actually I listened to the audio on that because that response didn't seem likely to me but Brandon's words make it quite clear that he is talking about Ashyn (he mentions it being in the Greater Roshar system and such).

In my opinion one should never not ask a question just because someone thinks it is RAFO bait, Brandon has surprised us in the past with the questions he decides to answer.

The two big things I want to know (this week lol) is:  Are the Death Rattles all precognitive--as in what they speak of hasn't happened yet at the time of the speaking?

And, he's said in the past that Hemalurgy will work on any Cosmere magic system.  Does that mean Hemalurgy isn't actually of Ruin, but instead, is of some underlying fundamental power, similar to Adonalsium, or Investiture in general?

Here's another interesting bit. Hoid seems awfully surprised when he sees 14-years old Shallan in Chapter 45: Middlefest:

The man started, dropping his cup to the table. He caught it with a swift lunge, keeping it from tipping over, then turned to stare at her with a slack jaw.

It was gone in a second, replaced with an expression of practiced indifference.

As far as we know he has never seen her before, so it's not like he was really surprised to see her. When they talk a few pages after this, he asks her if spren talk to her and then tricks her into Lightweaving, so I strongly suspect whatever made him lose his crem during his meeting with Lin Davar had something to do with Shallan's suppressed Surgebinding. Thing is... how? She was not actively Surgebinding at that point - or almost any other point in her flashbacks. She was not holding Stormlight. Pattern was not around her at the time, as she had him suppressed. So what was it that Hoid saw that startled him so?

It is known that having high investiture lets you identify others who are invested better. Hoid likely has a lot of investiture, and Knights Radiant had been missing on Roshar for a long, long time. Perhaps he simply identified her as highly invested, possibly even identified it as a type similar to his own Lightweaving, and was simply not expecting it.

That's the thing though, she is not Invested at that time - no more than her innate human Investiture, and that's more or less equal for everyone on a given Shardworld. Maybe he is sensing Shallan's weakened Nahel bond, but I imagine that would require him to actively... perform some kind of magic, I guess. And it would be a hard thing to do too. I thought maybe it has something to do with the fact that both of them could Lightweave, but we don't know anything that could support that either.