question about Wit and Mraize (spoilers)

agentprimus

Okay so in all the chapter headings they're are faces, I noticed that all the chapters in Way of Kings with the guy wearing a mask over his eyes, have Wit in them, this is also true for Words of Radiance except for The Ghostbloods chapter. I reread it and noticed this paragraph that intrigued me. "He reminded her os someone, a man from her childhood. The messenger with the smiling eyes" thisis refering to when she met Wit, when he turns around she realizes that its not him. Now we know that Wit and Mraize are both worldhoppers, could Mraize be Wit? Does Wit have lightweaving powers? If this has been discussed i appoligize and please redirect me.

Edited by agentprimus

There isn't really any evidence to the contrary, but I think it is highly unlikely. We know, that the Ghostbloods want to kill Jasnah and that alone is very un-Hoid. Also we see him actively working with Jasnah, going completely against the Ghostbloods. I do think he is a worldhopper though and someone very important.

What makromag said. As for your other question:

Does Wit have lightweaving powers?

As a matter of fact, Wit/Hoid does have Lightweaving powers, but it's not exactly Roshar's version (though it's pretty close). Hoid's Lightweaving came from his homeworld, Yolen. Edited by skaa

I think Mraize just gets the masked man because he is a Worldhopper (though l think it may be the woman with him whose name I forget at present). IIRC, Zahel/Vasher gets it too, though that could be wrong (sorry I don't have my book with me so I can't check these things). Basically I think the masked man is Hoid or any other Worldhopper.

Only the chapter Mraize is introduced in gets the masked man and none of his further appearances are acknowledged in the same way.

So, my best guesses are the icon is present either because Hoid was there spying on Mraize (lightweaved himself as someone present at the meeting or just hidden in the shadows) or most likely because Shallan remembered Hoid in the chapter. 

or most likely because Shallan remembered Hoid in the chapter.

This is the same conclusion I came to. But I totally wouldn't put it past Mraize to be a worldhopper, irrespective of the masked man image. He does have all those weird trophies after all.

This is the same conclusion I came to. But I totally wouldn't put it past Mraize to be a worldhopper, irrespective of the masked man image. He does have all those weird trophies after all.

He could very well be a worldhopper, however I believe the mask man is limited to Hoid only. Zahel for example is a confirmed worldhopper, but none of his chapters have the masked man image.

There are several clues that point towards Mraize being a worldhopper. The biggest one comes from Mr. T's diagram

But who is the wanderer, the wild piece, the one who makes no sense? I glimpse a his implications, and the world opens up to me. I shy back. Impossibly. Is it?

-From the diagram, West Wall Psalm of Wonders: paragraph 8 (Note by Adrotagia: Could this refer to Mraize?)

The trophies have been mentioned already. He also mentions learning to use "local" weapons, which I assume to mean Roharian weapons, especially after this snippet Shallan overhears from Mraize in chapter 55

"This creature from Tokar however, is different. I'm not convinced he is human. If he is, he's certainly not of the local species..."

Edited by EMTrevor

There are several clues that point towards Mraize being a worldhopper. The biggest one comes from Mr. T's diagram

This doesn't prove anything. The wanderer could be Hoid, another worldhopper, 'the creature of Tokar'  or someone we haven't even seen yet. Andro probably though of Mraize in this quote because she doesn't know about anyone else who fits.

• 7 months later...

Shallan comments on how much Mraize reminds her of Hoid. (I'd also like to point out that, as far as Shallan believes, Mraize isn't his name, it's his title. He doesn't indicate one way or another which it might be, but it's possible that Mraize is an honorific.)

They look alike, and they're almost certainly both worldhoppers. What if Mraize is from the same planet as Hoid? What if they're related?

WHAT IF MRAIZE IS HOID'S SON?!?!!?

• Chaos locked this topic