SPOILERS! Could Kal do what Taln(?) did at the end of WOR

Tranquil

Just a question. Could Kal do what TALN does at the end of WOR: Snatching Darts out of the air?

Is this a Heraldic power, something related to Stonewards, or something that Kal could do while infused?

Using stormlight seems to improve one's reflex and reaction time, so I guess Kal could do it - maybe depending on the type of dart, though. Like, crossbows' bolts generally go slower over longer distances, so he might be able to catch them - but an arrow from a bow at close range? Not sure.

I'm almost 100% sure that Taln was just doing what a 4.5K + year old warrior does when small, deadly projectiles go flying. Knowing Amaram, he'd have taken note if Taln was emitting Stormlight, so it seems to me that this was just Taln's normal state of being. His consciousness is almost all gone, but his subconscious, much faster and more attentive anyways, is wide awake and doing what it does.

I bet with enough training there isn't really a projectile that he couldn't stop!  He has the advantage of being able to use a Reverse Lashing to draw it in at least somewhat, and I would be surprised if his control over atmospheric pressure couldn't be applied to help slow the projectile to a reasonable enough speed that his Stormlight enhanced strength could stop it.

WAS HE BURNING ATIUM??!?!.. im gonna leave this here.. just a thought 

What would be the Rosharian equivalent of atium-burning? 

Hmmm .... I wonder if stormlight shining through a prism would split into 16 (or 10 for Roshar) different types of colors??  And that a different specific color frequency of stormlight is actually 'burned' by the various KR orders?

I'm almost 100% sure that Taln was just doing what a 4.5K + year old warrior does when small, deadly projectiles go flying. Knowing Amaram, he'd have taken note if Taln was emitting Stormlight, so it seems to me that this was just Taln's normal state of being. His consciousness is almost all gone, but his subconscious, much faster and more attentive anyways, is wide awake and doing what it does.

Yes, Taln is over 4.5K years old. Much older, in fact. However, 4.5K years is just the time since the last desolation. In the intervening time, he has been in "hell", being tortured, and not training. In fact, as far as I can interpret, the Heralds were only on Roshar for brief periods of Desolations (when they could actually practice their martial arts), with the majority of their time spent being "distracted". Therefore, I believe there is a supernatural explanation to his abilities. Can't practice much with blades under your eyelids (and whatever else is going on).

With that said, let's not forget Taln was a Herald. This is a person that was given the ability to lead the fight during numerous Desolations against the voidbringers. Yes, the KR were given powers patterned after the Heralds. But the Heralds could still have powers/abilities beyond what the spren can grant. There could be other attributes a Herald have that a KR would not get, so we don't know if Kaladin would eventually be a able to do what Taln can. If its even Taln...

One more item, however...performing the "thunderclap" (if I remember the term correctly) seems to me to be as hard as catching a dart in the air, from a dexterity/hand-eye-coordination standpoint. Kaladin is there already, in my mind!

Edited by Jedi Radiant

What would be the Rosharian equivalent of atium-burning? 

Hmmm .... I wonder if stormlight shining through a prism would split into 16 (or 10 for Roshar) different types of colors??  And that a different specific color frequency of stormlight is actually 'burned' by the various KR orders?

This "Taln" is a world hooper, so it isnt impossible to think he was burning atium.

And thanks for the downvote, u narrow minded person :c (whoever u are)

Edited by Maresia

This "Taln" is a world hooper, so it isnt impossible to think he was burning atium.

Yeah I upvoted to balance out that neg. The post didn't deserve it. And the rep system around here is silly anyway. But I really don't want to derail another thread with this topic. So let's just leave it at that.

Where does it say Taln was a worldhopper? I'd always suspected world hopping heralds, but I can't recall any concrete evidence in the books, or I missed the WoB

Where does it say Taln was a worldhopper? I'd always suspected world hopping heralds, but I can't recall any concrete evidence in the books, or I missed the WoB

its just a theory, nothing confirms it. but there is a WoB that put in doubt the authenticity of this Herald. So, he could be a Worldhopper, or a Elsecaller, or maybe he was sent by another Elsecaller. Theres a lot of speculation. Ultimately it could be all false, and he really is Taln, but until we find out we can only guess.

One more item, however...performing the "thunderclap" (if I remember the term correctly) seems to me to be as hard as catching a dart in the air, from a dexterity/hand-eye-coordination standpoint. Kaladin is there already, in my mind!

"Lastclap" I think? Va...er..Zahel mentions that the only reason they are able to pull that move off is because the shardbearer gets used to swinging their swords more gently than you would with a normal sword, so they're already swinging more slowly in general. A dart is significantly faster than even a fast sword stroke, not to mention much smaller and therefore less room for error. To me these two actions are on two totally different planes.

Also didn't the dart come in from over Tal'n's shoulder? Maybe I read that wrong but I thought he caught it without even LOOKING at it. That seems way past Kal's abilities. At the moment at least.

"It's a stupid maneuver," Zahel said. "When it works, it's only because most Shadbearers learn to swing their weapons without as much force as they would a regular blade."

Perhaps a little ambiguous there. I read "not as much force" as slower. But like you said it's not super important. Either way I feel like the speed of any sword swing is not comparable to a dartgun.

Edited by Galavantes

"Lastclap" I think? Va...er..Zahel mentions ...

Did I miss something about Zahel - is he vasher??

I have to admit it's hard to keep track at the moment.

Back to topic: 

I'd have to agree with Observer, that finely honed (is this how you write that- I guess so) skill is at work here.

But I think it's still possible, because that's allways the thing you're just innocently reading along and then... AAAAAWSOME....

Did I miss something about Zahel - is he vasher??

I have to admit it's hard to keep track at the moment.

There certainly are some similarities...

Also Vasher's sword does seem to be roaming around on Roshar as well.

Edited by Galavantes

• Chaos locked this topic