Typography - "Shshshsh"

TierFour

I am new to this board and relatively new to Sanderson’s work. But so far I am hooked. I am far from the level of understanding that most exhibit here. So forgive the possible lack of merit to the post. 

I tried to search function and couldn’t find anything, but I wanted to get other’s thoughts on something I found peculiar. When Navani and Dalinar were speaking about his past wife, the kindle version has yellow and italicize text for her name: “Shshshsh.”  (Chapter 67; Loc 15689).

I understand that Dalinar and the reader are not supposed to know the name yet and "Shshshsh" was used in WoK. But my interest in this is about the typography itself. I have read many kindle books and have never seen that method used. 

Is there something similar in the physical books? Why the use of this specialized topography here?

Thoughts?

I agree -- and italicized words would convey the same meaning.

I don't remember if a different color text was used in WoK, but the idea that only one word out of 1000+ pages be a different color is an interesting (and what I think is) a stylistic choice. 

And for the non-kindle readers, the way it appears in the book is equivalent to a strobe light - 

The printed books just an italicized Shshshsh - maybe with a different typeface. It definitely doesn't have the color.

It was a lighter font color in my copies.  More of a grey than a black, but definitely not yellow like the Kindle versions.  No clue if it's a different typeface or not.

Yellow looks gray on an e-ink screen. On a color screen, you get to bask in wonderful yellow. Whee!

Also, on some platforms, the text has a fuzzy glow around it.

Brandon wants the text to be blurred and almost illegible, but there's only so much we can do.

Oh! That's why my Kindle editions have that weird...errr...fuzzy white outline thing. And honestly, it's not even gray, it's...nearly illegibly white/yellow of the screen (I have an older tan and black kindle with no color)...

Now I feel special...or something like that...

@Swimmingly: Perhaps it needs to be slightly green then. Though I think the right phrase might be "It's investedly redacted--" Nah, that...that really doesn't work...

Yellow looks gray on an e-ink screen. On a color screen, you get to bask in wonderful yellow. Whee!

Also, on some platforms, the text has a fuzzy glow around it.

Brandon wants the text to be blurred and almost illegible, but there's only so much we can do.

S̛̕҉͏͞h̶̵́̕͞s̴̶̀̀h̴͡s̵̨̕͜҉h͠҉̸̨͘s̶̀͟͠͠h̀͠͏͏͘

• Chaos locked this topic