[OB] Daughter of Twenty Faces (Shallan and Hoid)

kari-no-sugata

Normally when we see an icon of a "masked man" in the header we expect to see Hoid or some reference to him in the chapter. He certainly disguises himself a lot.

What's Shallan's "handle" in the Ghostbloods? Veil - not quite the same but close to being a mask, don't you think? She's developes into an expert (though not master) of disguise during the book.

Just a coincidence? Well, either way I think Brandon has been dropping a few hints...

In flashback chapter 45 (Middlefest), Hoid is certainly surprised to see the younger Shallan. I'd be very interested to know exactly what surprises him so much - he drops his drink and gapes. This isn't stated clearly but there is a strong implication that he's realised that she's a proto-Radiant and probablly a Lightweaver - he talks to her about imagination, lies and truth. At the end there's a strong hint that he'd be willing to help her learn, when he has time and when she's "ready".

Shallan has had two apprenticeships so far (Jasnah and Tyn). We expected at least two:

http://www.theoryland.com/intvmain.php?i=593#14

I'm expecting her next apprenticeship to either be with Navani or a sword-master. At some point in the series, I have a feeling that she will figure out Hoid/Wit has been doing something similar to herself and corner him about it and she'll then have a stint as an apprentice to Hoid!

Just a theory.... (but oh it would be fun!)

PS For anyone curious for the title reference:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nij%C5%AB_Mens%C5%8D_no_Musume

(for some reason, this series came to mind when thinking about this...)

YES!!!!

I'm sure that at some point Zahel will train her to use Pattern  but her abilities will be manly focused on subterfuge and scholarship whilst trying to learn soulcasting.....I am a Stick.

Shallan as Hoid's apprentice would give us valuable insight and possibly another crossover character to look out for is future cosmere books. 

Also really want a Hoid/Sigzil interaction or maybe Shallan speaking to Sigzil about Hoid.

Edited by sonNeturo

Shallan's been pretty hard on her authority figures to date:

- Killed Mother (and friend)

- Killed Father

- Arguably got stepmother killed

- Robbed/Hoodwinked Jasnah (may argue that Shallan got her 'killed' by recommending the boat)

- Killed Tyn

- Made Mraize look like a fool (his own words) (probably will kill him too)

- Made Dalinar cry (okay, that one might not be as serious)

I'd fear for Hoid's life if he began teaching her. Though I'm sure he'd get better.

Made Dalinar cry? Sorry, what? I don't remember that at all.

In a literal sense, that is what happened (she did something, it makes Dalinar cry), though my wording was intentionally obfuscating to make it fit the theme of the list. In "Contradictions" (ch. 78):

“It’s amazing ,” Dalinar said, his voice so soft she could barely hear it over the pattering rain. “It is wonderful.” He looked up at her, and there were— shockingly— tears in his eyes. “You’re one of them.”

“Maybe, kind of?” Shallan said, feeling awkward. This man, so commanding, so much larger than life, should not be crying in front of her.

- Killed Father

- Robbed/Hoodwinked Jasnah (may argue that Shallan got her 'killed' by recommending the boat)

- Killed Tyn

I'd fear for Hoid's life if he began teaching her. Though I'm sure he'd get better.

She's Odium's evil back-up plan in dealing with Hoid  :P

- Killed Father

- Killed Tyn

He's not a figure of authority though - he tends to cut them down to size himself too... just not quite so literally as Shallan :D

- Killed Father

- Killed Tyn

- Glomped Hoid

*fixed

(Shallan's secret weapon is love.)

I thought he was trying to teach her to Lightweave Yolen style. The way he does well he tells his tales to Kaladin. he makes them come alive to the listener. In a way very similar to what Shallen could do if she were better trained.

but yes I think he was surprised. and I suspect he was soothing her during it as well. a lot of people think he was burning metal to sense her abilities, but makes more sense he was soothing her

The Seventeenth Shard seems very interesting in Lightweaving's similarities to the old Yolen form of it. Like the old magic systems broke apart, but somehow that one managed to land mostly in one piece. If Hoid is as interested as I think he is, he probably will start teaching/learning with her. Inevitably Shallan is going to get in waaaaaaaay over her head with Hoid's Cosmere crap, making Roshar an even bigger Conflux of shardic events.

So in future (non-SA) cosmere novels we should be on the lookout for a glove wearing individual who is roughly 5'6"? Probably commenting on the tameness of the weather or looking for jam.

Edited because my memory kind of sucks.

Edited by AyeJay

• 3 years later...
  • Mestiv changed the title to [OB] Daughter of Twenty Faces (Shallan and Hoid)

Heh, I was rather surprised to see a rather unique title from a thread I had started years ago in the OB board. But looking at the last few posts, it makes sense :)

I was very happy to see Wit and Shallan interact again, this time in a substantial way. I always LOL'd at the scene in WoR when Shallan suddenly hugs Wit but it was a shame there was no further references.

So... yeah... I got a bit excited as soon as we saw Wit in OB and very much enjoyed the immediate exchange in "Aim for the sun" and "The girl who stood up" was beautiful. Well, anyway, it looks like Shallan isn't going to take after Wit quite as much as I expected but it was interesting to see him take up a Cryptic. He used to get up to all sorts of tricks before so it might be hard to differentiate between him using Rosharian Lightweaving vs other techniques, but we might see him use Rosharian Lightweaving the next time we see him.

Also, to quote myself:

On 12/03/2014 at 11:27 PM, kari-no-sugata said:

I'm expecting her next apprenticeship to either be with Navani or a sword-master. At some point in the series, I have a feeling that she will figure out Hoid/Wit has been doing something similar to herself and corner him about it and she'll then have a stint as an apprentice to Hoid!

The Shallan and Navani interactions were rather disappointing... but Shallan did get a sword-master - Adolin!

7 minutes ago, kari-no-sugata said:

The Shallan and Navani interactions were rather disappointing... but Shallan did get a sword-master - Adolin!

*cough* Radiant did. Well, I guess, you're right. A part of Shallan got a sword-master.

When Shallan was in Urithiru practicing lightweaving in a theatre, while she was saying the story of "The girl who looked up" to Pattern, the girl in her illusion had white hair when she was climbing the wall.

I've looked it up in coppermind.net and the only one I can find with white hair is Hoid (but he usually dyes it). Now, I'm not sure if there is a link here, or maybe it's a link to the Royal Locks, (or both?) meaning that the girl became afraid when she was climbing the wall, but I'd love to hear your thoughts about it and whether you think it could be linked to this topic's theory.

OB: Chapter 25: The girl who looked up:

The girl started climbing. Had her hair been white when she’d started? Shallan frowned. 

WOK: Interlude I-1: Ishikk

No foreigner like this one you mention—with his white hair, clever tongue, and arrowlike face—has been seen.” “He dyes his hair sometimes,” Grump said. “And wears disguises.” 

4 hours ago, insert_anagram_here said:

When Shallan was in Urithiru practicing lightweaving in a theatre, while she was saying the story of "The girl who looked up" to Pattern, the girl in her illusion had white hair when she was climbing the wall.

I've looked it up in coppermind.net and the only one I can find with white hair is Hoid (but he usually dyes it). Now, I'm not sure if there is a link here, or maybe it's a link to the Royal Locks, (or both?) meaning that the girl became afraid when she was climbing the wall, but I'd love to hear your thoughts about it and whether you think it could be linked to this topic's theory.

OB: Chapter 25: The girl who looked up:

WOK: Interlude I-1: Ishikk

I'm on the boat with some others that the girl is Ash, Jezrien's daughter. That the wall was the mountains of Shinovar. That somehow, she was the reason the human's left their given lands and started conquering the listeners. But Hoid's face also appears in the arch design on the first "The Girl Who Looked Up" chapter, when he makes no appearance in that chapter. so you may be onto something.

• Chaos locked this topic