Pattern

Laryna

How can everyone see Pattern (provided they look carefully) but Syl can choose who she appears to?

And why did Shallan need to wait for 10 heartbeats before summoning her shardblade? It was only during the opening of the Oathgate that she was able to summon it instantly.

Different Spren do different things. Syl can vanish because Honorspren and Windspren are closely related. Pattern can't because he's a cryptic and cryptics apparently rely on camouflage as a form of deception instead of invisibility. He probably gets a kick out of not being noticed...

I always pinned it down on personality, so to speak. Jasnah's spren Ivory, for example, is extremely shy of other people - much more than Syl is. Syl will appear to Kaladin by default, but if he asks her, she will become visible to others as well (refer to, for example, the knobweed gathering scene from The Way of Kings). Pattern just seems to be a bit of an exhibitionist in this regard...

Speaking of Pattern, there's something else I was confused on.

"I hate you," she whispered, staring into her mother's dead eyes.

"I know." Pattern buzzed softly. "Eventually, you will kill me, and you will have your revenge."

"I don't want revenge. I want my family."

Chapter 88, page 1059

Is Shallan saying she hates Pattern or her mother here? Pattern takes it to mean him, but she's looking at her mother's illusion. And she sort of denies Pattern's assumption that it's him she hates by saying she doesn't want revenge...or is that affirming it?

A rational person I would think would hate the mother for how she handled knowledge of what her daughter was, but I can also understand blaming Pattern for creating the situation in the first place.

Edited by Jaconis

Pattern said he was attracted to Shallan's family because of their "lies". But we discover he was with her at the young age of 10 when it seemed all was rather normal for her family. She had already said the words when she was a child. Just wondering if there is more to her back story...

What about the heartbeat part? In her initial fights, Shallan needed to wait for 10 heartbeats, but later she summoned Pattern instantly. Why's that?

Denial is a powerful thing.

In her fight with Tyn, she thinks

Ten heartbeats.

But for her, it didn't have to be ten, did it?

No, it must be.  Time, I need time!

Then, later:

He could come more quickly than the ten requisite heartbeats.

He'd done that before.  She hadn't been willing to admit that he was capable of it.  Admitting it would have meant too much.

• Chaos locked this topic