Chapter 43 Hoid Drop In

The Rooster

Chapter 43 has Hoid in the header and i can't figure out who he is or if he's just someone they mention in this chapter.  The only person I can think he'd be is the guard who lets Shallan down into the secret basements, but he would need to be well disguised if that's him.  Has anyone figured this out?

No, there has been speculation that it might have been one of his hideouts, because there were numerous objects from different worlds there, but no one really knows.

I just figured those object suggested that Mraise was a Worldhopper.  Maybe one of his objects was Hoids' originally?

"Other curiosities baffled her. A vial of pale sand. A couple of thick hairpins. A lock of golden hair. The branch of a tree with writing on it she couldn’t read. A silver knife. An odd flower preserved in some kind of solution. There were no plaques to explain these mementos. That chunk of pale pink crystal looked like it might be some kind of gemstone, but why was it so delicate? Bits of it had flaked off in its case, as if simply setting it down had almost crushed it."

- Sanderson, Brandon (2014-03-04). Words of Radiance (Stormlight Archive, The) (p. 493). Tom Doherty Associates. Kindle Edition. 

In addition, Mraize is a foreign name:

“Very well. Amaram is a Shardbearer in the court of Highprince Sadeas. He is also my current prey.” Hearing it spoken like that sent a shiver through Shallan. “And what do you wish of me, Mraize ?” She tried, but didn’t get the pronunciation of the title quite right. It wasn’t a Vorin term.

Sanderson, Brandon (2014-03-04). Words of Radiance (Stormlight Archive, The) (p. 494). Tom Doherty Associates. Kindle Edition. 

I figured Hoid's icon was indicating one of a few things:

1. He is physically present in the chapter, likely in disguise. Possibly the guard, or some other passerby. If he is, I haven't found a convincing occurrence.

2. The icon indicates a world-hopper, likely Mraize. However, we have seen world-hoppers (notably a sword-master) without this icon appearing.

3. The icon appears because Shallan recalls her first meeting with Hoid. After all, Hoid's icon appeared in the Purelake scene in WoK even though he wasn't physically present. However, this icon does not appear every time Hoid is thought of or mentioned (notably the chapter when Rock recounted meeting his god of mischief).

4. Significant use of lightweaving, although Shallan continues to use lightweaving after this without the icon appearing.

So... *shrug* Maybe Brandon just wants to troll us :)

Can someone clarify what you mean by "Hoid was in the header"?  I assume you mean the swirly art in the center also found in the lower left corner of the below illustration.  How do we know this image indicates Hoid?  Apologies for my ignorance in this.  I am primarily an audiobook listener although I do buy the ebooks so I can know how names are spelled.

http://brandonsanderson.com/beta/wp-content/gallery/stormlight-2-maps-and-illustrations-2/WoR_SKETCHBOOK-PATTERN_fmt.jpeg

It does not refer to the depiction of Pattern, those central symbols denote the viewpoint character, what they are referring to is the arch above that.  The people depicted in the wedges are the Heralds and Wit (the Masked Man), the figures that appear are thematically relevant to the chapter. 

While the wedges are representations that have associations, they are not actually portraits.

Thanks Peter. 

This may be straying too far off topic but how did we know which representations relate to each herald?   I see in the wikia wiki they are lined up in the table with descriptions. Here in the coppermind wiki entry for Ishar the same wedge displayed.  I don't see those descriptions in the ars arcanum for either novel.  Anyone know where that info came from?

Altrenatively, a masked man is a common symbol for hidden motives and actions so could just as easily be a representation of Shallan as Veil in that chapter.

That said. I think I like the Worldhopper indicator as well. I would bet my own boots to a Horneater princess that either Mraize, the masked woman or both are worldhoppers.

Thanks Peter. 

This may be straying too far off topic but how did we know which representations relate to each herald?   I see in the wikia wiki they are lined up in the table with descriptions. Here in the coppermind wiki entry for Ishar the same wedge displayed.  I don't see those descriptions in the ars arcanum for either novel.  Anyone know where that info came from?

On the surgebinding chart the heralds are lined up with the icon that represenst the KR order patroned by said herald. IE Jezrien is in the corner above the Windrunner icon. From there you can just go around the circle going in the order listed in the 10 Essences table.

• Chaos locked this topic