Adolin Kholin, the uncut gem (WoR spoilers, right?)

banestar

Not that this is anything for sure, but I found it very interesting that Part Three -- the part with the epigraphs from in-world Words of Radiance -- had chapter titles that didn't exactly refer to the epigraphs, but rather to the actions within each chapter ... but there was one exception that jumped out at me right away.

Chapter 50 is called "Uncut Gems" -- which is a bit odd. It's a direct reference to the epigraph as well as a minor action in the chapter (Sadeas shows off a few uncut emeralds on his clothing). The epigraph associated with this chapter describes the Willshapers, an Order of the Knights Radiant, as an "uncut gem" among the Radiants.

I just find it a bit interesting that this Adolin-focused chapter, which does a lot to set up / bookend what's arguably Adolin's most important act in the book (you know, that bit at the end with Sadeas), has such a strong through-line with the epigraph, title, etc. In addition, the Willshapers are described with these words: "erratic," "capricious," "frustrating," "unreliable," and the phrase "general love of adventure, novelty, or oddity." Adolin does resemble an uncut gem to me at this point ... he hasn't fully come into his own yet.

Though I'm not certain this would've described Adolin before the release of Words of Radiance, his actions during the book kind of lead me to think that if he does find a place as a Radiant, perhaps it will be as a Willshaper. Considering Adolin's dating habits (erratic, at best), his love of adventure (dueling, etc.), the way he's fascinated by Shallan (an absolute oddity) ... I'm inclined to think that as he stands right now, he pretty well fits the category.

It's certainly possible that this is an example of someone reading JUST A BIT TOO MUCH into the book, but hey, it's a theory, right?

Good catch! I think this is a valid speculation. Additionally: Willshapers are probably order 8, Kalak's order, which corresponds to the eighth sword stance, Ironstance... name of the first Adolin chapter and the stance he begins the first duel with.

I think there are many ppl that:

* want Adolin to stay human

* think that Skybreakers is way more appropriate for him (he's confident, took justice in his own hands)

* want him to become evil to end up with a Shalladin

In TwoK I was thinking he will be the dustbringer (brave/obedient). Right now, he's a wild card :)

Willshaper is resolute/builder. Somehow, that's not really Adolin.

Willshaper is *likely* Resolute / Builder, but it's not *for sure* Resolute / Builder.

The thing for me, and this took a little bit of thinking, is that Resolute doesn't necessarily mean that someone is unreliable. A person may be erratic in action, but steadfast in belief. Adolin, for example, is pretty resolute in thinking that Sadeas needs to pay for what he'd done. He wouldn't let anything sway him from that line of thinking. But his behavior would still be considered a bit "erratic".

Releaser *does* seem to be a bit appropriate for Adolin, but I'm not sure I'd say his defining characteristic is bravery, especially in the same way that Kaladin's was Protecting and Shallan's was Creative. Adolin seems like the type of person who points himself in a direction, and then gives everything he has in that direction ... until something changes. I'm not sure that follows as "Resolute" ... in fact I'm not sure Adolin jives with any of the ten divine attributes completely in the same way as any of the KR do.

At the same time, I'm not convinced that Dalinar's primary attribute is Pious, but the tenth order *really* fits him otherwise. Eh, maybe none of these are completely perfect?

I just noticed something as I was going back through the book.  Adolin seems to summon his shardblade without waiting ten heartbeats when he fights Eshonai.   He drops his sword, get hit by Eshonai, blocks her sword with his arm, smiles, then

He raised his hands, the shardblade forming from mist as he swung upwards and deflected her attack in a sweeping parry.

Then, after Szeth shows up, there is no more mention of him summoning his blade.  He gets thrown into Dalinar's tent, then he has to get his plate off, and then he is ready to fight.  There isn't really any clue that his blade is instant, it just isn't mentioned at all.  

Willshaper is resolute/builder. Somehow, that's not really Adolin.

I don't think we can put too much stock in divine attributes. The four Herald faces shown in The Four are: Jezrien (Kaladin/Windrunners), Shalash (Shallan/Lightweavers), Ishar (Dalinar/Bondsmiths), and Palah. I just finished the book, so I'm not sure we have confirmation that Truthwatchers are Order 5, but I think it's likely, and their attributes are Learned/Generous. Based on what we see of Renarin, I'd have guessed Brave/Obedient. He may be learned or generous, but for the former, all we know is that he reads glyphs better than Adolin, and for the latter, at least he doesn't look down on people.

With Adolin, I'm not sure he'll be a Radiant. He just murdered Sadeas, so he doesn't seem to match the first Ideal. Though Jasnah employs assassins, and maybe this will be what cracks his soul open to allow a bond. I'm hoping this was a one-time lapse rather than a demonstration of a temper like Shallan's father-- Sadeas's level of provocation is more extreme than one would normally run into.

Edited by TomR

I actually think that if Adolin does bond a spren, it will be that of his Shardblade. Spren cannot die, they can be broken and almost unrepairable and im damned sure that I read a qoute in the book saying that only the Knights Radiant could change that.

So I think Adolin will resurrect his sword somehow, lets face it surgebinding seems almost contagious, merely being around people and seeing them in action almost inspires people to become like them, how far of a leap would it for Adolin who treats his sword like a living being, something no one else previously shown has done, would it be for him to reawaken the spren in a similar way to what Kaladin did when he almost did the unforgivable? 

I actually think that if Adolin does bond a spren, it will be that of his Shardblade. Spren cannot die, they can be broken and almost unrepairable and im damned sure that I read a qoute in the book saying that only the Knights Radiant could change that.

So I think Adolin will resurrect his sword somehow, lets face it surgebinding seems almost contagious, merely being around people and seeing them in action almost inspires people to become like them, how far of a leap would it for Adolin who treats his sword like a living being, something no one else previously shown has done, would it be for him to reawaken the spren in a similar way to what Kaladin did when he almost did the unforgivable? 

That would be nice. I mean, he already has sort of relationship with his Blade, always talking to it. But Syl said spren are revived when those they bond go back to their Oaths, so I'm not sure if that's possible to rebond with another human. I still hope so. Edit: thought actually men have bounded spren in their dead form, that's how Shardblades can be summoned, so I think this point stands no more. If a Shardbearer acts as Radiant as possible, his Blade will most likely be awaken.

I do not see why Adolin can't be a surgebinder. Not all surgebinders get to be Radiants after all. He is nothing if not confident and he has a sense of what's just. He spend time in prison because of sympathy for Kal, feeling how wrong it was to have him captive. Adolin went all Nalan on Sadeas's chull, so there. :Let's hope his Blade belonged to a skybreaker and I definitely see this happening.

Edited by Aleksiel

I agree with the theory that Adolin will resurrect his swords Spen. 

My hunch for a while has been that Adolin if a Radiant would end up as a Stoneward. 

“Talenel,” Kalak said. His was the only Blade unaccounted for.
“Yes. He died holding that passage by the northern waterway.”
Kalak nodded. Taln had a tendency to choose seemingly hopeless fights and win them. He also had a tendency to die in the process.

“Now, as each order was thus matched to the nature and temperament of the Herald it named patron, there was none more archetypal of this than the Stonewards, who followed after Talenelat'Elin, Stonesinew, Herald of War: they thought it a point of virtue to exemplify resolve, strength, and dependability. Alas, they took less care for imprudent practice of their stubbornness, even in the face of proven error. —From Words of Radiance, chapter 13, page 1”

Adolin,  seems to follow this, there are several times when he has chosen hopeless fights and won.

His "Calling"  for dueling means he has taken seriously the study of fighting and dueling.  

The female Shardbearer stood; her armor glowed with an even amber light. ...

“I should save Regrowth for others who might be wounded,” the woman said ..

“It is our duty and our privilege,” the woman said, “to stay vigilant for the Desolation. One kingdom to study the arts of war so that the others might have peace. We die so that you may live. It has ever been our place.”  ...

We of Alethela are those watchers—the warriors who protect and fight. We maintain the terrible arts of killing, then pass them on to others when the Desolation comes.”

What about Elhokar as an uncut gem... We know that he's been seeing things in mirros and the like, a feeling associated with shadesmar based orders. Jasnah and Shallan both had this issue. I know he isn't in the chapter, but it makes sense in many ways that he could be a Willshaper.

What about Elhokar as an uncut gem... We know that he's been seeing things in mirros and the like, a feeling associated with shadesmar based orders. Jasnah and Shallan both had this issue. I know he isn't in the chapter, but it makes sense in many ways that he could be a Willshaper.

But Elhokar said they went away when Kaladin came. He said Kaladin scared away the shadows. So may be they were something else.

But Elhokar said they went away when Kaladin came. He said Kaladin scared away the shadows. So may be they were something else.

Cryptics and their allies and Syl don't get along. They don't want to be spotted.(That's how I took it.)

I also agree with the coolness factor of Adolin reviving the dead spren that is his sword....though I will say that it is a stretch. What would be REALLY cool though, is if he did it and became the first Willshaper, Stoneward, or Dustbringer of this generation...and then subsequently taught others to do the same as him. That'd be pretty darn amazing.

The design of his blade probably tells us some of his order, assuming he resurrects the blade?. Doesn't he describe it as similar to a Horneater Longsword?

And Pattern runs from Syl during the duel. It's where I got tthe connection from.

Edited by Aminar

And Pattern runs from Syl during the duel. It's where I got tthe connection from.

That was not my impression. He showed himself to be able to distract one of the Shardbearerd and then simply went back to being undetectable when the duel ended.

Based on Way of Kings, I thought Cryptics as well. Then I recollect the Moechel (sp??) Unmade that Taravangian references in one of the chapter headings and talking about "Kingship". So maybe that was in reference there.

I'm of mixed opinion regarding Adolin. Certainly he seems a natural for Talenal's order, however ... given his killing of Sadeas, that seems a bit more "Justice" like, a bit more actual Radiant Skybreaker. That would lead to some interesting conflicts with Shallan down the line I think, if Brandon went that way.

When he was talking to his sword both times prior to duels, I kept on waiting for a response from the sword. Especially given the inability to control it as he once did prior. Something is happening to him, surely.

That was not my impression. He showed himself to be able to distract one of the Shardbearerd and then simply went back to being undetectable when the duel ended.

From my understanding Cryptic's can't vanish. And Syl describes him as fleeing.

"A revolting type.” She paused. “But not evil, I don’t think.” She sounded begrudging. “I was going to follow it, as it fled, but you needed me. When I went back to look, it had hidden from me."

Syl could be misinterpreting, but I doubt it.

From my understanding Cryptic's can't vanish. And Syl describes him as fleeing.

"A revolting type.” She paused. “But not evil, I don’t think.” She sounded begrudging. “I was going to follow it, as it fled, but you needed me. When I went back to look, it had hidden from me."

Syl could be misinterpreting, but I doubt it.

He hides from everyone as he appears to be just a pattern of the surrounding, like his natural status is being stealth. He's not hiding from Syl specifically.  At least that's how I understood it.

That's reaching. I mean he stopped helping in the fight to hide. Otherwise you'd think he'd have stuck around to help more. Either way, both points are valid possibilities. It just seems likely Syl is the reason Elhokar isn't seeing Spren anymore. His hallucinations are too similar to his sister's to be coincidence, and I can see him being a pretty broken individual.

Based on Way of Kings, I thought Cryptics as well. Then I recollect the Moechel (sp??) Unmade that Taravangian references in one of the chapter headings and talking about "Kingship". So maybe that was in reference there.

I'm of mixed opinion regarding Adolin. Certainly he seems a natural for Talenal's order, however ... given his killing of Sadeas, that seems a bit more "Justice" like, a bit more actual Radiant Skybreaker. That would lead to some interesting conflicts with Shallan down the line I think, if Brandon went that way.

When he was talking to his sword both times prior to duels, I kept on waiting for a response from the sword. Especially given the inability to control it as he once did prior. Something is happening to him, surely.

I kind of thought that Unmade disappearing (or moving) coincided with the Thrill not appearing for Adolin (and even seeming to weaken for Sadeas). It seemed to jive with that Unmade being described as one that got inside people and corrupted them.

I like the idea of Adolin as a Willshaper, but I think I find it most interesting that he is the least adult of the Kholins. He seems to have a lot more growing to do than his younger brother, and I am intrigued to see how he turns out as the story develops.

Edited by Barzai

As the book went on I shifted my view from Adolin being a potential Skybreaker to being a potential Stoneward. I can´t remember any instance where he backed of from anything, when other depended on him. What really sold it to me though is how shows himself to be quite "resourceful" in his duels as well as in the attack on the singers.

That and everything FollowYourMuse pointed out.

My second place would be Skybreakers and Dustbringers as a far third place. Then again he might not be a Surgbinder at all and the Kholins, with the exception of Jasnah, don´t appear to fit their attributes perfectly. Maybe there is something to the theory that Galviar "tempered" with his family to make them Surgebinders, it would explain why their awakening goes less, for the lack of a better word, smothely than Shallan and Kalladin.

The design of his blade probably tells us some of his order, assuming he resurrects the blade?. Doesn't he describe it as similar to a Horneater Longsword?

We see his blade both in his chapter symbols and in Shallans Shardblade sketches before chapter 45. It looks very compact to me, when compared to other blades. Does that sound/seem Stonwardich to other or is that just me?

I just noticed something as I was going back through the book.  Adolin seems to summon his shardblade without waiting ten heartbeats when he fights Eshonai.   He drops his sword, get hit by Eshonai, blocks her sword with his arm, smiles, then

Then, after Szeth shows up, there is no more mention of him summoning his blade.  He gets thrown into Dalinar's tent, then he has to get his plate off, and then he is ready to fight.  There isn't really any clue that his blade is instant, it just isn't mentioned at all.  

I'd chalk that up to selective narration on Brandon's part. Recall that Shallan hears the screams when she touches his blade only a short time after this.

I'd chalk that up to selective narration on Brandon's part. Recall that Shallan hears the screams when she touches his blade only a short time after this.

I think it might be the first hints that Adolin could be on the right path.  Sadeas could go either way, depending on what the right path is for Adolin.  

I think perhaps if Adolin is reawakening the spren in his sword, then it is also having an influence on Adolin. Remember the Nahel bond means that sharing goes both ways, perhaps the spren in his sword belonged to either the Willshapers or the Skybreakers and is unconsciously moulding him into what he needs to be.

Edited by b4dave