Adolin Kholin, the uncut gem (WoR spoilers, right?)

banestar

I think it might be the first hints that Adolin could be on the right path.  Sadeas could go either way, depending on what the right path is for Adolin.

I honestly just can't see that being how it is. Being able to instantaneously summon your Shardblade all the sudden is the kind of thing that you'd notice, while it working as it usually does (10 heartbeats) is not really worthy of comment.

You could argue that Adolin just did some protecting by killing Sadeas. Sadeas just was rubbing in his face how he was going to storm things up for everyone. Division at this moment would cause lots and lots of dead innocents. I think he did what needed to be done for two whole books. And it was very satisfying to read that Sadeas got his justice!

• 2 weeks later...

Nice theories guys! 

I've had this theory bouncing around my head that the Willshaper was going to be Lopen. I totally missed the point about the "uncut gem". Which I think would still fit Lopen. 

What made me think that Lopen was the Willshaper was how he sorta just willed himself to absorb stormlight. I know that is not really concrete evidence, but just a thought. 

Also Uncut gem could describe him since he really is a unique character, and is some what "unrefined" by Alethi standards. 

*Shrugs* 

With Adolin, I'm not sure he'll be a Radiant. He just murdered Sadeas, so he doesn't seem to match the first Ideal.

I get the feeling that, while all the orders share the same words for the First Ideal, they all interpret it differently. I'd have to go back and find the exact quotes, but Dalinar and Kaladin had slightly different takes on it. Specifically, Kaladin focuses on the "Strength before weakness" part as meaning that the strong should protect the weak (which fits with his other Ideals.)

Could be that whatever order Adolin belongs to (if he is, in fact, a Radiant) interprets "Journey before destination" as being practical/realistic. Don't put the cart before the chull kind of thing. Yes, you want to reach a point where you can act with honor and inspire men to greatness, but what good does it do anyone if you fail before you start because you aren't willing to get your hands dirty?

*shrug* I kinda get the feeling that if Adolin is a Radiant, his second Ideal would be something along the lines of, "I will do what needs to be done." (Like killing Sadeas, since Kaladin and Dalinar would both be adamantly against it, but letting him live could easily have doomed him.) That's why I see Adolin as a Dustbringer. They were apparently viewed as practically Voidbringers. Partially because of their Surge of Division, but also maybe because they have a grimmer morality than the other orders.

I also agree with the coolness factor of Adolin reviving the dead spren that is his sword....though I will say that it is a stretch. What would be REALLY cool though, is if he did it and became the first Willshaper, Stoneward, or Dustbringer of this generation...and then subsequently taught others to do the same as him. That'd be pretty darn amazing.

Maybe Releasers (Dustbringers) are anti-Bondsmiths? As in, they undo bonds where Bondsmiths forge them. Or something.

Whatever the case, I want to see Adolin go on another dueling spree, this time with the intent to free the spren trapped in all the other Shardblades. (Now the odds of this actually happening are probably pretty slim, but a girl can hope, right?)

Nice theories guys! 

I've had this theory bouncing around my head that the Willshaper was going to be Lopen. I totally missed the point about the "uncut gem". Which I think would still fit Lopen. 

What made me think that Lopen was the Willshaper was how he sorta just willed himself to absorb stormlight. I know that is not really concrete evidence, but just a thought. 

Also Uncut gem could describe him since he really is a unique character, and is some what "unrefined" by Alethi standards. 

*Shrugs* 

I'm hoping for Lopen the Willshaper, too. Especially the part where people see them as "capricious, frustrating, unreliable." That, and I want to see Lopen teleporting around scaring the crap out of people for a laugh.

I'm of mixed opinion regarding Adolin. Certainly he seems a natural for Talenal's order, however ... given his killing of Sadeas, that seems a bit more "Justice" like, a bit more actual Radiant Skybreaker. That would lead to some interesting conflicts with Shallan down the line I think, if Brandon went that way.

Unfortunately, Brandon has stated that the Skybreakers would seriously disapprove of Adolin's actions. Probably because murdering people is against the law (in which case, Shallan had better watch out for Darkness, because she's got a laundry list of prior offenses). I'm pegging Adolin as a Dustbringer or a Willshaper. However, it's tentative at this point if Adolin will even get a spren.

Sorry if I've missed this buried in the thread I'm at work and only had time to glance. Wasn't there a point in one of Dalinar's visions where he sees a KR and thinks something along the lines of "that Plate looks like Adolin's". Like I said I'm at work and don't have my book, so does anyone know for sure what order this radiant was?

I guess my thought process is that there is a theory that Adolin will become a KR by reviving the spren of his Sword/Shardplate? If this turns out to be true there may have been some foreshadowing in Dalinar's vision as I what order Adolin could be bound for.

Edit: clarity.

Edited by christophalies

Sorry if I've missed this buried in the thread I'm at work and only had time to glance. Wasn't there a point in one of Dalinar's visions where he sees a KR and thinks something along the lines of "that looks like Adolin's". Like I said I'm at work and don't have my book, so does anyone know for sure what order this radiant was?

I guess my thought process is that there is a theory that Adolin will become a KR by reviving the spren of his Sword/Shardplate? If this turns out to be true there may have been some foreshadowing in Dalinar's vision as I what order Adolin could be bound for.

The woman's Shardplate glowed bright red, so that chalks up one point towards Dustbringers, in case you're interested. :)

• Chaos locked this topic