Theory: Tanavast's body!

don_karma_II

I was re-reading Words of Radiance preview chapters and came across this. " When kings and light eyes died, they were soulcast into stone."

Shin consider stone as holy and consider walking on stone as blasphemy. Tien collected random stones and gave them to Kaladin, which mysteriously made Kaladin think it had a face on it and made his worries go away. Tanavast was soulcast into stone when he passed away, which is why Shin consider them holy as they're of honor. Kaladin holds a piece of Tanavast's body soulcast into stone. Might be those stones which was given by Tien to Kaladin be influencing him to act with honor?

I'm not sure about this one. Odium splinters Honor and when Tanavast's dead body drops to the ground, someone is there to soulcast it into stone? How would they know who the body belonged to? It's my understanding the Rosharians are not very Cosmere aware at the moment. I guess that doesn't mean they weren't at one time more aware, of course.

That being said, stone seems to be an important aspect of Roshar for the Shin and I'm not sure when that became so. It's quite possible, there were some people more aware than others, recognized something was happening, but didn't know precisely what it was (Honor being splintered), saw a body fall from thin air in front of them, didn't know who it was, but decided it must be someone important, and honored that person by soulcasting the body into stone never aware that the body belonged to Tanavast. 

However, I would think something like that would be kept somewhere secure and such a stone would find it difficult to find its way into Kaladin's hands in such a manner.

So, in conclusion...eh, it's possible, I guess. I definitely think you may have skimmed the surface of something more deep going on, though. Something about the idea sounds right to me, but not completely right. Sorry about the ramble.

even in the unlikely case it was true, i don't think there's anything mystical about the body of a dead god. when ati and leras died, their bodies had no sspecial quality that we know of. it's the body of a mortal who happened to hold a shard, not the body of the shard itself.

I think that Brandon said somewhere that no one grabbed the bodies, but if they had they would have been very useful if they had. They and Hoid have the original sDNA which I think allows Hoid to use any power in the Cosmere.

INSURRECTIONISTFUNGUS

Did Sazed do anything with the bodies of Ati and Leras after he ascended?

BRANDON SANDERSON

No, I'm afraid not. Those might have been useful to have around, though.

TAGS

sazed, ati, leras, mistborn

I dont know how to link to a specific point in the article. It is number 50 in this interview.

http://www.theoryland.com/intvmain.php?i=977#50

So thats how you do it.  Thanks Weiry.

Edited by lordofsoup
fixed link

I'm not sure about this one. Odium splinters Honor and when Tanavast's dead body drops to the ground, someone is there to soulcast it into stone? How would they know who the body belonged to? It's my understanding the Rosharians are not very Cosmere aware at the moment. I guess that doesn't mean they weren't at one time more aware, of course.

That being said, stone seems to be an important aspect of Roshar for the Shin and I'm not sure when that became so. It's quite possible, there were some people more aware than others, recognized something was happening, but didn't know precisely what it was (Honor being splintered), saw a body fall from thin air in front of them, didn't know who it was, but decided it must be someone important, and honored that person by soulcasting the body into stone never aware that the body belonged to Tanavast.

However, I would think something like that would be kept somewhere secure and such a stone would find it difficult to find its way into Kaladin's hands in such a manner.

So, in conclusion...eh, it's possible, I guess. I definitely think you may have skimmed the surface of something more deep going on, though. Something about the idea sounds right to me, but not completely right. Sorry about the ramble.

Splintering honor and Tanavast dying can be different events right? Maybe one of the heralds did the soul casting and kept it safe in shinovar. Isn't there a WoB that rosharians are more cosmere aware than others? No high storms in Shinovar. Though I can't say how they come to kaladin's hands or how Tien understands what they are!

Splintering honor and Tanavast dying can be different events right? Maybe one of the heralds did the soul casting and kept it safe in shinovar. Isn't there a WoB that rosharians are more cosmere aware than others? No high storms in Shinovar. Though I can't say how they come to kaladin's hands or how Tien understands what they are!

I don't know, actually. Can a Shardholder survive a splintering of their Shard? I had just assumed it was a death blow to the Shardholder to have their Shard splintered. Although we know two have died, I guess that doesn't really mean they died specifically from the splintering. Good question.

Possibilities:

1. Tanavast is dead + Honor splintered: His body is out there somewhere (or, more likely, decomposed)

2. Tanavast is alive + Honor splintered: Tanavast is a Sliver now, and possibly dead of old age. Or immortal and still around

3. Tanavast is dead + Honor whole: Nope. Honor is splintered

4. T is alive + H is whole: I'm not sure this is even Cosmerically possible. Anyway, Honor is splintered.

I don't know, actually. Can a Shardholder survive a splintering of their Shard? I had just assumed it was a death blow to the Shardholder to have their Shard splintered. Although we know two have died, I guess that doesn't really mean they died specifically from the splintering. Good question.

Coming to think of it. In Dalinar's visions, Tanavast (if that actually is Tanavast) says that Odium has killed him. Possible that Honor has been shattered and Tanavast is dying? Odium has killed me being he has shattered Honor and Tanavast is dying? Tanavast has made one last effort to reach out to anyone possible. Coming to the topic, there is a possibility that if anyone who knows the value of the body of even a dead god would want to preserve it (possibly the heralds). Soulcast Tanavast's body into stone. Teach the shins that stones are holy and walking on them is blasphemy without actually telling them why. Keep it safe where there are no high storms! There has to be a reason why Shins are so honor bound and why there are no high storms in Shinovar and why stones are considered holy by shins. Possible that I might be hallucinating everything after getting high on Storm light. I tell you this storm light archive is more intoxicating than any Weed or booze I ever had.

Possibilities:

1. Tanavast is dead + Honor splintered: His body is out there somewhere (or, more likely, decomposed)

2. Tanavast is alive + Honor splintered: Tanavast is a Sliver now, and possibly dead of old age. Or immortal and still around

3. Tanavast is dead + Honor whole: Nope. Honor is splintered

4. T is alive + H is whole: I'm not sure this is even Cosmerically possible. Anyway, Honor is splintered.

1. Does dead body of a god decompose? Isn't atium and lerasium dead bodies of ati and leras?

2. Old age? Maybe he is the apothecary in sadeas camp..:P

3 & 4: not possible IMHO

1. Does dead body of a god decompose? Isn't atium and lerasium dead bodies of ati and leras?

2. Old age? Maybe he is the apothecary in sadeas camp.. :P

3 & 4: not possible IMHO

No. Dead bodies of Ati and Leras materialize out of the mists when they..die. Atium and Lerasium are the bodies of Ruin and Preservation - the shards - , unintuitively. 

There is a WoB about this:

Wetlander: Did the splintering happen before the Recreance?

A: I will reveal this as we go.  However, be aware that in the past, when a Shard was killed, the person holding it, it is a slow burn to actually kill someone; because power cannot be destroyed.  So, what it means to be killed means something a little different in these cases.

Hoser: did Tanavast survive Honor’s splintering?

A: Tanavast is dead.  Good question.  However, that is as of the start of the WoK (i.e., not including the prelude at least).

Hoser: So he could have survived the splintering…

A: He could have survived the splintering.

Hoser: …as a mortal…

A: Well, he could have survived for a time, but then he could not have then…right.

Hoser: …passed away in his sleep…

A: Right. (Indicating that Tanavast would not have passed away from old age)

(source)

A: Well, he could have survived for a time, but then he could not have then…right.

Well I don't know if it is his intention to confuse and not give away anything. But I'm confused here. He could've or not? If he could've then my theory is a possibility I guess and a very good one at that I believe.

• 4 weeks later...

Well I don't know if it is his intention to confuse and not give away anything. But I'm confused here. He could've or not? If he could've then my theory is a possibility I guess and a very good one at that I believe.

The impression I got from hearing the exchange between Brandon and Hoser was that He could've survived, but he wouldn't have lasted long.

This is a very interesting theory, but I don't think that somebody Soulcast his body.

Instead, maybe all the rock on Roshar is Tanavast's body. We know from Mistborn that seemingly mundane things like mist can be a Shard's body. If all the rock on Roshar were actually the body of Honor, it makes even more sense why the Shin would find walking on it so blasphemous ... and why gemstones hold Stormlight so well.

• Chaos locked this topic