Rock - he's been holding out

vikorr

Alright, there's not much to this 'theory' except how Roshar works.

Rock !

He's been holding out !

That is - Rock has not been forthcoming with his friends...he has some sort of magical ability. We already see that he has been holding out when it turns out he's quite a good fighter...but what is up with him seeing spren?

To see spren, a part of him has to be in the Cognitive realm. 

And we all know when you have a strong link/bond to the cognitive realm, you have access to the surges (or Magic).

Related example :

Chapter 12 when Sigzil, Rock & Kaladin are testing Kaladin's abilities, Rock and Kaladin can see the binding spren but Sigzil can't. This passage is an important baseline - because in Kaladin vs Sigzil, it shows that a person tied/bonded to the cognitive realm can see certain spren while other, normal people, can't.

Other thoughts :

Rock has already not revealed important things about himself - for he is apparently a rather handy fighter. How did he learn that if he is not allowed to be a soldier? It's not too far to infer from this that he is willing to keep other secrets from his friends.

So, what is really up with Rock's ability, and should it not mean he has some magical ability?

The problem is reconciling Rock being magic with his reaction to Kaladin taking the death point. Rock thinks he would have died if Kaladin had not done this, so if he has magic, it is likely not surgebinding or anything that is combat related.

He is probably a priest in his culture and is not bound by the same rules as if he were family within someone's house. The reason I say priest is that he talks of building Syl a shrine and if his people worship spren, then it would fit with why he can see them. Anyone that became a priest in Rocks culture would likely have done so because of this ability. Fairly circular argument, but a fun theory to throw out till we get a Rock PoV.

The only ability magical ability that Rock has demonstrated is his ability to see spren that others can't.   He doesn't go on about it but he has mentioned it in passing when the issue came up in the first book.

As for his keeping quiet about his martial abilities.  When it really mattered like with shooting the arrows into the bridge he spoke up.  I put it down to a personal issue that probably has something to do with his cultures birth order dictating profession tradition.  Not really anything nefarious.  He probably simply views it as his business and sees no need to discuss it with the rest of bridge four.  He still contributes a useful skill that none of the other bridgemen are very good at.

I'm curious, can anyone here actually pronounce Rock's real name out loud? I've given up, every time I try I sound drunk.

Honestly, it's not even that difficult... Airsick lowlanders.... :)

But in all honesty, with a little practice saying it out loud to yourself (preferably while you're alone, so people won't think you're crazy), it's not that hard to get the hang of.

• 2 weeks later...

He is only sort of holding out.  Back in ch. 21 Rock does tell Kaladin that the reason he can see Syl is because he is alaii'iku.  He evades explaining what this means.  But, it appears that it would be a well known phenomena to the Horneaters. 

Also, it should be noted that everyone has a part of them in the cognitive realm.  Of course, you likely meant that he has a greater presence or connection to the cognitive realm than is typical.

• Chaos locked this topic