2016-11-29 [Arcanum Unbounded] Old Firehouse Books - Fort Collins, CO

Silverblade5

45 minutes ago, Nashan'Elin said:

Me! But you already knew that...

I might be dragging at least one new Sanderfan with me

Main reason I posted the thread was so recording figured out. Last time, we got it, but were never able to transfer it to the shard. I want to fix that this time. You got a good quality camera/voice recorder on you?

• 4 weeks later...

For those looking for questions to ask, perhaps this one might interest you:

Lift got her ability to turn food to Stormlight from the Nightwatcher, right? Hypothetically speaking, could Lift still be able to do this even without a Nahel bond? If so, what could she do with that Stormlight?

Edited by Ookla the Insipid

I'm going to this signing tomorrow, so I need questions!

I was thinking of things related to these topics, but I'm not sure what wording (or in some cases, what questions themselves) would be best, so any advice would be nice. These questions are mostly BoM/SH related, with some Cosmere stuff as well.

Theories I've made are listed first, because I have a better idea of what constitutes a good question for that theory, so the questions are more fleshed out.

1. Svrakiss - I was thinking of asking something them--Either: 1) Are the Svrakiss of <shard> (Autonomy/Odium, probably, leaning toward the former) or 2) Are the Svrakiss able to worldhop?, but maybe something else would be interesting (do they actually possess people / how?, etc.) 

2. ReLuur's Spike - I still have questions about what's going on here, but I'm really not sure how to get a good answer out of Brandon--partly because I don't know what's going on here. Probably 1) What blessing did ReLuur have? or 2) Was the spike recovered in Bands of Mourning actually ReLuur's spike or 3) Which physical feruchemy power did ReLuur's pewter spike give him?

3. Connection - There's a huge amount of ground to cover with Connection, so I think I'd ask about how people manipulate their Connection to prevent aging: 1) Do the Seventeenth Shard members achieve immortality through Connection manipulation? or 2) Is Demoux immortal because he's changed his spiritual age through Connection?

4. VenDell's Coat - Argent is going to ask about this at the Chicago signing, so I shouldn't need to, but it's a very interesting theory to me.

5. The Ire's Drink - What is it? Liquid blank Connection? Investiture? I'm also curious if we've seen any Ire elsewhere, so I may ask that.

@Dirigible, I like those questions, with two "but"s. "Have we seen Ire elsewhere" looks like a prime RAFO material to me, though, but I don't know - maybe Brandon'll answer that? With Seventeenth Shard's agelesness, I believe there was something about various worldhoppers using various methods, so the answer you'll get to that will probably be "among others". A question about Demoux might give you a more concrete answer.

If you fill like taking a question from someone else, I humbly put forth this: considering how allomancy comes from a person's connection to Preservation, if a Misting used a Connection medallion on Roshar - for example, to speak Alethi - would they be unable to use their allomancy while Connected to Alethkar?

15 hours ago, Dirigible said:

Are the Svrakiss able to worldhop?

I can't imagine a scenario where they wouldn't. We know that physical beings can, we know that cognitive beings can, and we now know that even animals can. 

15 hours ago, Dirigible said:

4. VenDell's Coat - Argent is going to ask about this at the Chicago signing, so I shouldn't need to, but it's a very interesting theory to me.

I plan to, but if you beat me to it I'll just ask something else :)

Here's an innocent question from my list if you are looking for something that is unlikely to get RAFO'd: do Feruchemical metalminds experience wear and tear? In other words, if a Bloodmaker Ferring uses the same gold metalmind their entire life, would anything happen to the gold itself?

47 minutes ago, Argent said:

Here's an innocent question from my list if you are looking for something that is unlikely to get RAFO'd: do Feruchemical metalminds experience wear and tear? In other words, if a Bloodmaker Ferring uses the same gold metalmind their entire life, would anything happen to the gold itself?

It might deform a bit due to body heat and pure gold's softness.  You might want to specify "Would the Feruchemy cause anything to happen..."

Just now, Landis963 said:

It might deform a bit due to body heat and pure gold's softness.  You might want to specify "Would the Feruchemy cause anything to happen..."

That's fair. 

Now that I think about it, maybe there is a more interesting - and twofold - related question:

Does the prolonged Feruchemical use of a metalmind affect it physically (e.g. wear and tear) or magically (e.g. more efficient storage)?

Though by phrasing the question like this it opens Brandon more doors to just say "yes" and grin mischievously.

37 minutes ago, Kingsdaughter613 said:

I also have an easy question if anyone wants to ask: is the drunk/crazy begger Szeth sees in the WoK's prologue Jezrian?

I believe that this has gotten asked, and RAFO-ed, before, though. :P

@Dirigible If you ask the VenDell question (or not) it's fine by all of us, I think. Argent can just ask why Wax, who knows kandra can't be metalborn, accuses VenDell of being metalborn instead...if he wants (okay, this part is a joke). xD

Edited by Kandra-in-disguise

Ok I just got back from my long drive. I didn't get audio of the questions, but I wrote down some notes right afterword.

Me: Is ReLuur's spike made of Atium?

Cut out some stuff, he started to answer thinking I said Lord Ruler, but I stopped him

Brandon: hesitated a for a second RAFO. You get a card though. It's not that big of a spoiler, but the answer would bring up questions that are.

Me: Are the Svrakiss cognitive shadows?

Brandon: RAFO. But you expected that.

Me: If you tapped blank Identity in an area, would you develop the area's accent?

Note: Sanderson interpreted this question as blanking identity. Also, I don't think tapping blank identity is a thing, so it was not a great question.

Brandon: It's part of what you need. You need to both blank your Identity and tap Connection to get the accent.

Me: If Shai had a gold shadow, and she used one of her Essence Stamps, would her gold shadow change to reflect her new self?

Brandon: Yes, because she is changing her soul so the gold shadow changes.

@Rasarr I liked your question so I asked it here:

Me: If you were on Roshar, and tapped Connection, would you be unable to use Scadrial magic?

Brandon: No, but that's a good question. You would not be able to use Selish magic though, because that is dependent on location.

Me: Did Demoux achieve immortality by manipulating his Connection age?

Brandon: Demoux uses the same method as most of the Seventeenth Shard. That method slows aging by a lot, but doesn't stop it completely.

4 minutes ago, PallonianFire said:

Big WoB incoming! Had my fiancé ask in Fort Collins if Silverlight exists solely in the Cognitive Realm...

...and the answer is YES!

I was sort of hoping Silverlight was a thing of Physical Realm, but I will take a definite answer over two years of theories any day (-:

Video chatted in from London:

Q: Is Nalan using his original Honorblade, or did he bond a spren?

A: He's using his original Honorblade. But there's an asterisk here that will come up in Oathbringer. 

Edgedancer spoilers:

Spoiler

Q: Could only Lift see Szeth's afterimages?

A: Anyone sufficiently Invested can see them. Connection to the Cognitive Realm helps, too  

Edited by PallonianFire

Paraphrased from memory.

In general Q&A: can Investiture be used to go faster than the speed of light? Yes, in many different ways, some much easier than others.

My questions

• During the events of Stormlight Archive, is Yolen still populated? Yes... yes, I would say so since a letter is written to somebody on Yolen.
  • Was Leras bonded to a being in the Cognitive Realm? You mean like a Nahel bond? Yes, or a similar mechanism. Well, you have to remember that Shards interact with the realms in a different way, so... Well, I more mean before Leras became a Vessel. Anything before then is RAFO. (and I got a card)
  • You've mentioned before that Hoid ends up where he needs to be. Yes, and usually without knowing why. Is Chromium involved in that? Yes. Well, he's not necessarily using Chromium, but the underlying mechanic, yes.
Edited by Xyrd

1 hour ago, PallonianFire said:

Q: Is Nalan using his original Honorblade, or did he bond a spren?

A: He's using his original Honorblade. But there's an asterisk here that will come up in Oathbringer. 

What was the original number of Honorblades held in Shinovar? Nine or eight?