Lucca Comics and Game Festival (Italy)

Yata

2 hours ago, Blightsong said:

Nice questions man. Your really active in the community so it's cool to see you finally meet Brandon.

He's going to be at the festival awhile isn't he? Are you planning on asking him any more questions?

He wil remain at Lucca for other 3 days...But I made a one-day travel to get there (three hours of trip to go and other three hours of trip to return home) so to me it's impossible to go there once again :(

15 minutes ago, Yata said:

He wil remain at Lucca for other 3 days...But I made a one-day travel to get there (three hours of trip to go and other three hours of trip to return home) so to me it's impossible to go there once again :(

Oh how I wish I could spend the weekend relaxing in Italy with other nerds like myself, asking Brandon questions on Realmatic Theory.

Sorry for the double post, I recently came into an italian Cosmere group and there are some people who are posting their question to Brandon, I will post here that question, but remember the original wording is really lost:

1) the standard question about resurrect dead-shardblade and the standard answer to it....with "without the original knight would be very hard, but possible with some methods

2)Q: If Waxilium will become a Vessel, would the godmetal created by him, be...the waxilium ?
   A: He laught and said it will be right in that way

SirSavien1 on Reddit posted their question about Syl:

I asked about how Syl was invented, I don't even know if this is already known information, I'm not that knowledgeable in cosmere lore. He said that originally he thought about the idea of wind coming alive, which remained. Initially he wanted to have only four wind spren, one for each cardinal direction, and Syl was supposed to be the wind of East. Then things changed, but this was the initial concept.

16 hours ago, Yata said:

Sorry for the double post, I recently came into an italian Cosmere group and there are some people who are posting their question to Brandon, I will post here that question, but remember the original wording is really lost:

1) the standard question about resurrect dead-shardblade and the standard answer to it....with "without the original knight would be very hard, but possible with some methods

2)Q: If Waxilium will become a Vessel, would the godmetal created by him, be...the waxilium ?
   A: He laught and said it will be right in that way

Did he extrapolate on the methods? It is precisely what we have been tearing our hair onto when it comes to Blade revival, so did he add any additional clue we might not have had before?

Edit: In retrospect, you say he said there are a method... He never used the word method before... He said something more than the oath had to happen... Any idea what he might have meant here?

Edited by maxal

the 17th shard could make for a good spy organization, because  we have men everywhere. Everywhere. So much so that we infiltrated not one, but two operatives at the Lucca comics, and the second was me.

I refrained from asking questions in the early signing because there were too many people in line, but in the evening there were much less people and so I was able to listen to some questions and in the end talk with brandon a bit longer, and I dutifully took notes. Here is what I got. First the random questions from other people

-  when asked when he will publish his next book, he said "in another year". that confirms that he has no other project before the end of stoormlight 3.

- he was asked if adolin had been broken in a way that could make him become a radiant. he RAFOed this. So the theory that adolin will revive his blade, among others, is still on the table. in fact, brandon has been giving nothing but RAFOs on the subject of  adolin and radiantship.

- he was asked if Joel could be a new type of rithmatist, and he said that it was possible. But when he saw that I put that in my notes, he said "no, he's not. I just didn't want to say it outright. Joel is not a new kind of rithmatist". He may have denied that joel could be a rithmatist at all, but I don't remember the exact wording, so I cannot confirm.

- when will he write hoid's story (the dragonsteel saga)? After stormlight 10, before mistborn sci-fi.

- then I got my big question, one that has been in the back of my mind for over two years, since i posted it in this forum and got no good answers: the lord ruler moved scadrial closer to the sun, and orbital dinamics dictate that so its time of revolution would also become shorter. how did that impact the ages of the characters, and how did it impact the 1024 years of refilling of the well? He said that arcanum unbounded will contain all the calendars and that peter made actual orbital calculations. Brandon also confirmed that the characters ages were really earth ages, and that the lord ruler kept the old calendar in the final empire, even though it did not fit with the lenght of the year. That sounded very strange to me, but then I remembered that we already have the islamic calendar who doesn't follow the year, so a calendar not coinciding with the year is something never seen before. he also confirmed that modern scadrial has an earth-like year duration, which we already knew. he said that people only started asking that in the last year and he was surprised it took that long to ask about that.

- then I asked him about jasnah in shadesmar. he said that he still is not sure whether to include it in the book or not, but he most likely won't. the reason is that he fears it will lessen the impact of something that will need to happen later in the book. so, it implies some characters will visit shadesmar and have some important adventures there, which jasnah's story may spoil. he is looking forward to showing shadesmar on roshar; we saw it on scadrial, but on scadrial it is mostly uninhabited, while in roshar there are all the spren.

- he commented that he thinks it is a mistake to have vin burn the mist in the end of mistborn 1, because it feels too much like a deus ex machina. that, confusing tin with silver, and confusing clubs with another character, are the three mistakes he think he's made there. nothing really new, but some may not have heard of that.

- finally, remembering the big line I saw in the early afternoon for the signing, i jokingly asked him if his hand hurted from so much signing. he said no, that wasn't that much signing, but there was a time when they made him sign 5000 copies in one day to ship them to libraries, and that did actually hurt his hand.

Also, not cosmere-related, but some nice anecdotes that brandon told:

Brandon considers John Scanzi his nemesis, though it wasn't clearly explained why so. Once, when he was brandalizing books at an airport, a guy saw him, and brandon explained and tried to sell him a book. Since that guy wasn't into fantasy, but expressed a preference for sci-fi, brandon suggested him - and eventually got him to buy - a book by Scanzi. Later, at a convention, Scanzi approached Brandon and said "hey, I heard you sold one of my books, here are your royalties" and threw some coins at him.

Brandon's 6-yo child knows that his father is a writer, and since they keep plenty of books in the garage and occasionally gift one to guests, the kid figured that those in the garage are the actual books for sale. he wrote a book and put it into the garage, hoping he could contribute to the family's income.

Finally, there was a very nice  girl at the signing with a really nice tattoo. She also brought chocolate for his wife :) very nice

20161029_173003.jpg

wait @king of nowhere you were in the Saturday's event too ?....Nooooo was there too !

About the "mistake" at the end of TFE, I was really confused....How in his initial draft, Did Vin overcome TLR without the Mist ? (it may be an interesting question).

@maxal I asked on Facebook to the girl who asked about Shardblade's resurrection and I have to wait her answer. But for her previous report she said:

ROSHAR: io ho chiesto informazioni su come sia possibile resuscitare una shardblade, se basti rinnovare i giuramenti o è più complicato. Lui ha risposto che è più complicato. Il modo più semplice di resuscitare una shardblade, ha detto, sarebbe se a farlo fosse lo stesso a cui la spada apparteneva in origine. Ovviamente ciò non è possibile, perché sono tutti morti da tempo. Però ha detto che ci sono alcuni modi di "circumway that", anche se è difficile. 

Traslating it would be (I posted the original for King of Nowhere, who may correct my traslation if I mistraslated some parts)

I asked information about how resurrect a Shardblade, if it will be enough, re-swear the Oaths. HE answered that would be harder. The easiest wat to resurrect a shardblade, would be if the one who performe it is the same original owner of the Blade. Of course this is impossible, because they are all dead for a long time. But he said there are some methods to "circumway that", but it's hard.

I think this add nothing to our knowledge and was the reason I didn't report the Q&A....maybe the only "new information" (but I am unsure about) is the fact that the old Knight are actually dead and they are not hidden somewhere.

Edited by Yata

10 hours ago, king of nowhere said:

Brandon considers John Scanzi his nemesis, though it wasn't clearly explained why so. Once, when he was brandalizing books at an airport, a guy saw him, and brandon explained and tried to sell him a book. Since that guy wasn't into fantasy, but expressed a preference for sci-fi, brandon suggested him - and eventually got him to buy - a book by Scanzi. Later, at a convention, Scanzi approached Brandon and said "hey, I heard you sold one of my books, here are your royalties" and threw some coins at him.

If I recall correctly, the whole started some years back when Brandon was touring for... some book of his. I don't remember which one. But for several cities in a row, he would go to bookstores Scalzi had visited before him just days ago. 

The calendars don't appear in Arcanum Unbounded, but they're mentioned on the map as old calendar/new calendar. Since the Lord Ruler actually kept the calendar the same, what this is referring to is only the placement of seasons, since those have to change from year to year because of the orbit.

Oh, a few more things I forgot mentioning:

Somebody asked brandon how he felt as J.R.R. Martin said brandon was the best fantasy writer of this time. Brandon didn't know that and he was quite dumbfoundedat finding out. Too bad I wasn't fast enough with my camera to take a picture of how he looked like. Anyway, I cannot confirm whether J.R.R. Martin really expressed such opinion.

Brandon's speech is clear. I was worried I may not be able to understand him because I have problems with some of the american accents, but I could talkk with brandon just fine. I still can't understand very well his videos, but that's clearly something related to the recording and reproducing of voice.

I didn't make the connection between the black coat and obliteration, but thinking in retrospect, it really was the same style. At most, I thought it could have fit as a matrix cosplayer :)

I was calm and collected when speaking to brandon. I only got excited after talking to him, in a "wow, did I really do that?" way. I still am, to some extent.

@ yata: I knew you were in there somewhere, but with all the people queuing up to get a book signed, there was no one who stood out enough. and i could not just shout "hey, is anybody here yata from 17th shard?". For a moment I suspected you could have been the girl with the tattoo, but she mentioned not being active on this forum.

Edited by king of nowhere

Maybe my girlfriend have recorded the part about JRR Martin, but she is unsure because the event was long and she had only 20 minutes of recordable time. She stopped and started the video many times....But they record all the event, therefore probably in some days it will be avaliable somewhere.

Yes, I have the same problem. I can't stand up and say "Qualcuno del 17th Shard ?" hoping to find someone (maybe you or Topomouse)

18 minutes ago, king of nowhere said:

and i could not just shout "hey, is anybody here yata from 17th shard?

I mean, you could... It wouldn't even be that weird :)

I too haven't heard George Martin talk about Brandon, but if he truly said that, it's high praise. 

The tattoo from the photo @Yata posted looks great too, by the way. It just adds to the large list of great things Italian women can be known for...

18 hours ago, king of nowhere said:

- he was asked if adolin had been broken in a way that could make him become a radiant. he RAFOed this. So the theory that adolin will revive his blade, among others, is still on the table. in fact, brandon has been giving nothing but RAFOs on the subject of  adolin and radiantship.

I am not surprised... Brandon has been steadily RAFOing all questions with respect to either Adolin's character development and/or his Shardblade. I believe he has told us all he is currently willing to tell us which can be resumed in: "Reviving a Shardblade by someone else than the original knight might be possible, but just saying the oaths is not enough. You need to do something more which is either extremely difficult to perform and/or extremely hard to complete and/or extremely dangerous.". 

In other words, yes Adolin could potentially revive his Shardblade, but the author is not going to tell us anything about it because it would spoil Adolin's story arc. He will not tell us if Adolin is broken, if he might growing beyond his current role or anything.

Lips are tight on this one, but nice try to all fellow Italian fans. Argel literally had to beg to get the WoB on Adolin removing his uniform...

13 hours ago, Yata said:

wait @king of nowhere you were in the Saturday's event too ?....Nooooo was there too !

About the "mistake" at the end of TFE, I was really confused....How in his initial draft, Did Vin overcome TLR without the Mist ? (it may be an interesting question).

@maxal I asked on Facebook to the girl who asked about Shardblade's resurrection and I have to wait her answer. But for her previous report she said:

Traslating it would be (I posted the original for King of Nowhere, who may correct my traslation if I mistraslated some parts)

I asked information about how resurrect a Shardblade, if it will be enough, re-swear the Oaths. HE answered that would be harder. The easiest wat to resurrect a shardblade, would be if the one who performe it is the same original owner of the Blade. Of course this is impossible, because they are all dead for a long time. But he said there are some methods to "circumway that", but it's hard.

I think this add nothing to our knowledge and was the reason I didn't report the Q&A....maybe the only "new information" (but I am unsure about) is the fact that the old Knight are actually dead and they are not hidden somewhere.

Thanks. I agree it doesn't tell us anything we didn't already know and/guessed. I don't think anyone truly believed the old knights were somehow still alive. Even if it doesn't add to out collective knowledge, I'm always glad to hear when others ask about Adolin, so thanks for sharing.

I was there for all the five days, think I met some of you while waiting for the signatures (who was the guy who was writing down the answers?). I interviewed Brandon for the italian Fantasy Magazine and was there at his educational on writing and I asked him several questions. Today I was at the meeting with Brandon, Terry Brooks, Steven Erikson and Philip Reeve and it was epic! If you are interested, I will write something about it in Italian, but I could translate something in English, 'cause it was really great. I will post it tomorrow 'cause I just arrive from Lucca and I need some sleep after five days of Lucca Comics :blink:

1 hour ago, Nisana said:

I was there for all the five days, think I met some of you while waiting for the signatures (who was the guy who was writing down the answers?)

Me!

I remember you. Looking forward to reading your interview, even though it  was for the broad public and so it probably mention only stuff we already know.

On 01 novembre 2016 at 11:47 PM, king of nowhere said:

Me!

I remember you. Looking forward to reading your interview, even though it  was for the broad public and so it probably mention only stuff we already know.

Yes, I couldn't ask very specific questions, 'cause the readers of the magazine don't know very well the Cosmere. 

The moment I like more was the meeting at the Theater, with Sanderson, Brooks and Erikson (there were also Philip Reeve and another author, Kahn). 

When Brooks was asked what kind of magic object he would like to have, he asked for something to control Brandon's mind, in order to make him write his stories. 

Brandon answered to the same question in a way that made us all laugh: he answered that the question was incomplete, because he knows a lot of stories about someone who find a magic object and this kind of stories doesn't have an happy ending. So, if the story about him finding a magic object was written by Terry Brooks, well, that's not a problem: maybe there would be a quest and, finally, a happy ending. But if the author of the story were Steven Erikson, well, better not try to catch the magic object and run away...

I'm sorry my English is so bad that I can't make it fun as it was. 

I asked him some questions about the Cosmere, but I think that you already know all the answers. Maybe, it's more interesting the answer about the Reckoners: he told me how he had the idea of this series (but maybe you know this too).

6 minutes ago, Nisana said:

I asked him some questions about the Cosmere, but I think that you already know all the answers. Maybe, it's more interesting the answer about the Reckoners: he told me how he had the idea of this series (but maybe you know this too).

Was it how he was driving on his way to Pittsburgh and someone cut him off in traffic, then he was all like "if I had super powers I would totally blow up that guy's car" then he was all like *horrified realization*? (first link I could find).

3 hours ago, Kurkistan said:

Was it how he was driving on his way to Pittsburgh and someone cut him off in traffic, then he was all like "if I had super powers I would totally blow up that guy's car" then he was all like *horrified realization*? (first link I could find).

Yes, it was that. I had prepared a long question analyzing the similarities of superheroes and main characters in fantasy and in urban fantasy and he answered me something like: "this is a good interpretation, but what really happened was that..." :D

13 hours ago, king of nowhere said:

thinking about it, there were cameras pointed in the room when brandon made his talk on saturday. were they actually recording? any way to actually get the uncut material?

I can't find the official ones (I asked also in another group and checked on Lucca's FB page and Youtube channel).

I may only hope my girlfriend's record is good (I asked her to record for some WoBs)...but she didn't send me yet. We are both very busy at the moment.

EDIT: The record didn't contain any WoB, because they were made privately in the signing line and we were too far away to hear/record anything (the record of my own questions is quite no-sense thanks to a new conference started in the near room)

Edited by Yata

I actually was thinking of that event

On 31/10/2016 at 7:12 PM, king of nowhere said:

Somebody asked brandon how he felt as J.R.R. Martin said brandon was the best fantasy writer of this time. Brandon didn't know that and he was quite dumbfoundedat finding out. Too bad I wasn't fast enough with my camera to take a picture of how he looked like. Anyway, I cannot confirm whether J.R.R. Martin really expressed such opinion.

And just came with the idea that maybe there was a recorded version of it :)

Too bad.