Illustrated SA Scenes & Characters

sheep

Your art is absolutely gorgeous. I love the character designs, and the frenemies pictures, and the rest is awesome, too. You should've put them in separate posts, I could spend my entire upvote quota on you this way!

Thanks guys!  I am glad to see you guys like it.

For some strange reason, when I read books, I imagine it in my head in 2D. :lol:   Which is why my character designs are pretty stylised - it's really difficult for me to imagine Rosharans as real 3D people.  When I draw, I read their personalities, pick out their main character traits and try to portray them visually.  

I also forgot a picture from the OP, so I might as well do it here.

"Missing Mother"

0lMixPB.jpg

I also draw a lot of silly stuff that never gets anywhere.  At least it ends up as warm-up or practice at details.

How the heck does the back of Shardplate work!  I just made it up lol.

ajQejKW.jpg

Oh, and just in case you were wondering, or maybe you want to have a laugh, I will share my inspirations for the character designs. 

I have discovered that if you hold an image or impression in your mind of something while you draw, you can channel its spiritual aspect into your Physical Realm drawing.  Pretty cool, right?  Thinking happy thoughts => happy looking picture.

• Dalinar - inspired by Chief Powhatan (Pocahontas) and Sam Vimes (Discworld).  I wanted to show authority and command, but still be a dad making hard decisions in a scary world.
  • Navani - inspired by Pharoah Seti (Prince of Egypt).  I know it's a dude, but I really liked his aesthetics and tried to translate them in a way that was regal and still exotic looking.
  • Kaladin - inspired by Prince Moses (Prince of Egypt) and Archer (Fate Stay Night).  Serious guy with a hero complex. I just liked listening to "Deliver Us" from the Prince of Egypt OST when reading the bridge runs.
  • Jasnah - inspired by Idina Menzel, no kidding.  I think it's the chin.
  • Shallan - princess classic.  Pick a princess, or pick all of them.
  • Adolin - inspired by Fred (Scooby Doo) seriously, and Gilgamesh (Fate Zero).  He's a nice guy who seems like an arrogant guy at first.  My depictions of him swing back and forth between and cute face and hot face, but I think I end up drawing the wholesome "boy-next-door" over "lifeguard hunk".  Gilgamesh: 

uWFqgTR.png

• Renarin - inspired by that glasses aristocrat character from any anime.  Like that goat guy from Nichijou. :lol:

And I know my art style goes all over the place.  I try to keep it cohesive!!!

BoR4Dxi.jpg

Sheep, these are all GORGEOUS, but my favorite serious one is "Honor Is Dead" and my favorite silly one is "Arena Groupies." I totally cracked up at the look on Adolin's face when he realized what had just hit him in the face. XD

Frenemies: absolutely brilliant stylistic design. Well done.

Portraits: Amazing. Especially Jasnah - that's one of the best pictures of her I've seen. Probably the best - captures the 'gorgeous, but serious, scholarly and RIDICULOUSLY REGAL' vibe she has going on.

But why no pupil?

Arena groupies:  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D

One of the funniest/geekiest jokes I've seen. Well done. Well done indeed.

I think you got the links there wrong :)

God damnation... Thanks..haha 

People, I am afraid something terrible is happening. Was I the only one who noticed that in the "Frenemies" sketch Shallan is holding her shardblade with her... exposed safehand?

A true scandal XD

Im obsessed with the new GA covers. The characters are exactly what i imagined them being like!

God damnation... Thanks..haha 

A true scandal XD

Im obsessed with the new GA covers. The characters are exactly what i imagined them being like!

The GA link in my thread has Kaladin and Dalinar in higher resolution and without the GA text :)