What got you into Mistborn?

Demandred

Did a quick search and didn't see anything, though I am sure this has come up before.

I am curious to see how people found Mistborn, what got you to read it?
And in addition to that, what is your favorite part of the Mistborn books?

For myself, I came to them after Robert Jordan died. I was curious to see who this fellow who was taking over the Wheel of Time was. I read Elantris first, and thought it was pretty good, worth checking out what else Sanderson had written. Then I read Mistborn, and determined that I would read anything this guy writes.

I love how the entire world of Mistborn, especially the first book, is built. It's this dystopian world covered in ash where the "bad guy" won and has ruled the world for ages. But the entire Survivor's crew is such a fun group of people in that world! And of course, the magic of Allomancy and Feruchemy is absolutely amazing!

So how about all of you? What got you into Mistborn and what is your favorite parts?

I decided to try to write an urban fantasy with a magic system that made sense.

It was crem.

A friend told me to read Mistborn as it had amazing magic, so I did.

That was in March, now Ive read mostly everything he has published.

I'm a huge superhero nerd and I saw the recokners series and decided to give it a shot. I still love the idea of all the powered people being bad guys. Found out about the Cosmere and decided I would give it a try. Read Elantris, loved it. Then i got to Mistborn and my most favorite parts are usually the most shocking parts:

1. Kelsier's death

2. All description's of fight scenes, most favorite has to be Kelseir's attack on Keep Venture

3. Teensoon's reveal 

4. Sazed's POVs in book 3

5. Sazed's ascension

6.  Seeing Miles using his compound abilities

7. Wasing dialect turned into High Imperial 

8. Rise of Survivorism 

9. Paalm's reveal

10. Ruin as Reen 

11. Learning that Lord Ruler was actually a semi-good guy

12. Marsh as an inquisitor(I should have seen that coming 

I just love this whole series

Edit: This was originally going to be a top 3 list

Edited by spencer12347

I'm a huge superhero nerd and I saw the recokners series and decided to give it a shot. I still love the idea of all the powered people being bad guys. Found out about the Cosmere and decided I would give it a try. Read Elantris, loved it. Then i got to Mistborn and my most favorite parts are usually the most shocking parts:

1. Kelsier's death

2. All description's of fight scenes, most favorite has to be Kelseir's attack on Keep Venture

3. Teensoon's reveal 

4. Sazed's POVs in book 3

5. Sazed's ascension

6.  Seeing Miles using his compound abilities

7. Wasing dialect turned into High Imperial 

8. Rise of Survivorism 

9. Paalm's reveal

10. Ruin as Reen 

11. Learning that Lord Ruler was actually a semi-good guy

12. Marsh as an inquisitor(I should have seen that coming 

I just love this whole series

Edit: This was originally going to be a top 3 list

Aye, thats a good list of wonderful moments. Sazed's ascension blew me away as I didn't see it coming until right before it happened. Same with Vin's earring, i totally missed it!

Think my favorite battle is pretty easily Kelsier's fight with the Inquisitor in the square. Followed by Wax at the wedding in Alloy

A friend actually recommended it to me. He told me the general summary of what the book was about, and it sounded interesting. Later that day, I went to a book store to pick up a book I needed for a class that I was taking. As I was walking around looking for it, I saw Mistborn on the shelf, and decided to get it. I'm really glad my friend told me about it. If he hadn't, I would have unknowingly passed by a gem.

Found a copy of Steelheart while looking for something else entirely and liked it.

About a month later, came across that Sanderson's Three Laws essay while internet browsing and went "I recognize this guy! So he writes mainly fantasy" and decided to buy a book. Two big series were SA and Mistborn, and Mistborn books were shorter for evaluation's sake.

Did a quick search and didn't see anything, though I am sure this has come up before.

I am curious to see how people found Mistborn, what got you to read it?

And in addition to that, what is your favorite part of the Mistborn books?

For myself, I came to them after Robert Jordan died. I was curious to see who this fellow who was taking over the Wheel of Time was. I read Elantris first, and thought it was pretty good, worth checking out what else Sanderson had written. Then I read Mistborn, and determined that I would read anything this guy writes.

I love how the entire world of Mistborn, especially the first book, is built. It's this dystopian world covered in ash where the "bad guy" won and has ruled the world for ages. But the entire Survivor's crew is such a fun group of people in that world! And of course, the magic of Allomancy and Feruchemy is absolutely amazing!

So how about all of you? What got you into Mistborn and what is your favorite parts?

That is legitimately the same reason for me.

You know, I don't entirely remember. I'd been going through something of a reading dry spell and hadn't read much recently. This was 2010. Then Game of Thrones debuted, so I went ahead and read ASoIaF. Of course, I wanted something else to read after that. I'm not sure how I ended up on Mistborn, but I read and thoroughly enjoyed the series, having no idea what the Cosmere was, at the time.

I didn't pick up the Wheel of Time then, though I was interested. But when A Dance with Dragons came out, and I saw people online saying that its drudgery was far preferable to later WoT books, I was scared away. Now, I did pick up The Eye of the World in January of 2014 and finished A Memory of Light 40 days later. And I've re-read the series twice since then. I'd say that Mistborn is largely responsible (more so than ASoIaF) for the dedication to high fantasy that lead me to be so into the Cosmere and WoT.

I honestly don't remember how I heard about Mistborn, though, and I wish I did. It had to be an Amazon recommendation or something.

I have friends who are Wheel of Time fans (haven't read it myself) and they started talking about that Sanderson guy who finished the series.  And then they told me about Mistborn and its nifty magic system.

I thought, "Huh, that's interesting," and picked up the books about a year later.  They were good.  Then I got Alloy of Law and I was hooked.

I bought The Way of Kings on Audiobook on Audible because I was looking for 4-star+ rated books that were SUPER long to get the most bang for my buck. I loved it so much that I immediately bought Words of Radiance on audiobook because it came out like a week after I started Way of Kings.

I googled for a wiki to try to figure out how to spell one of the Horneater words because it was hard to understand on the audiobook and found the coppermind, which opened my eyes to the Cosmere idea.

After that I looked at reviews on Goodreads for Elantris and the Mistborn series. I saw that Felicia Day RAVED about mistborn, so I bought the paperback box set plus Alloy of Law and read them all.

Now I'm all in and will read anything Brandon writes.

I am pretty much the same as you.  After Jordan died and Sanderson took over, and I read the first book in that series that he wrote, I was really impressed, and so I decided to check out his own original work.  Boy was I ever happy that I did so.  Fell in love with Mistborn within the first few chapters.  Read the rest of them and when Stormlight Archive came out I was even more blown away.  By the time I got around to reading Elantris and Warbreaker, Brandon Sanderson had become my favorite all time writer.  

I have read a lot of the greats.  Tolkien, Jordan, Martin, Salvatore, Weiss and Hickman, but Sanderson tops them all for me.

My favorite part of the Mistborn world is definitely Allomancy.  It is the most original and fun system of magic that I have ever read, and in the new Mistborn books I love the different combinations of Allomancy and Feruchemy.  Such well done systems, so much fun to read.

Edited by Wolven

Aye, thats a good list of wonderful moments. Sazed's ascension blew me away as I didn't see it coming until right before it happened. Same with Vin's earring, i totally missed it!

Think my favorite battle is pretty easily Kelsier's fight with the Inquisitor in the square. Followed by Wax at the wedding in Alloy

I gotta say that my favorite battle would be Wax, Wayne, and Marasi against the Vanishers.  When Wax flattens that building and then makes that absolutely ridiculously incredible shot to take down the thug, my jaw dropped on both occassions, on both of my read throughs of the book.

I was looking for a new series after running through my others and I had started WoT by then anyway and I heard news of Brandon taking over the remaining books. I'd completely forgotten about that when I came across the title but the cover and the blurb had me hooked as it was something different and have been addicted ever since :D

My dad recommended Elantris to me and I read it, and loved it. I was obsessing about it for a while like "this is the best book ever!" 

And then my dad told me that I should read Mistborn. I was going "there's no possible way it could be better than Elantris," but eventually read it and was blown away. I ate up the trilogy and then went on to Way of Kings saying the same thing: "Nope. Can't be better than Mistborn."

I was wrong again. With each book, Brandon continuously blows my mind. And then I found out about the Cosmere!

Anyway, more on point, My favourite parts of the Mistborn books were The Shan Elariel fight and Kell's death, but in general I loved allomancy, Kell's insane planning, and the training. For book two, I was genuinely terrified for Elend's empire, and my favourite scenes are Vin and Elend's marriage, Elend beheading Tekiel, and of course the Ascension, with Elend becoming Mistborn. I was heartbroken when Tindwyl died along with Clubs. For book three, I love the opening scene when Elend shows off his allomancy for the first time at Vetitan. I loved the whole climax with the world being remade by Sazed, and most of all, I loved Spook's POVs. I think he swiftly became my favourite character. 

I remember that after every reread, I went crazy drawing the allomantic table and I painted Luthadel one time (I'm not a great artist). AoL blew my mind with the urban city and guns, but it felt very predictable the whole way through so it wasn't as amazing to me. I still loved it of course. Wayne was my favourite, and I really really loved Wax's power combo with guns. 

I have a friend who is a Sanderson fan, he loaned me Steelheart. Then the Alloy of Law. He was going to loan me Mistborn books, but I got bored and got them another way. He kept pushing me to read Sanderson books, and right now I am ironically trying to get him to join 17S.

• Chaos locked this topic