Cultivation's Storms

Mailliw73

There's a quote from an interview somewhat recently, that for the life of me, I cannot find. (So if someone better at searching for those would like to link it here, that'd be great.) Anyway, the quote says that the highstorms are the same as mist is to Preservation. I saw discussion on the storms being Honor's body, but I would like to present a new theory. Theory: The highstorms are Cultivation's body.

In TWoK, when Kal is walking to the Honor Chasm to jump off, he remarks about how his father told him that plants watered with stormwater grew much better than plants from riverwater. I think this is because the storm is of Cultivation and therefore cultivates those plants. Thoughts?

I don't think I can agree. Three reasons come to mind:

• Brandon said that the highstorms are similar to the mists of Preservation. 
  • The relationship highstorms - Stormfather - Heralds - Honor is too big to ignore, I think.
  • The reason plans watered with stormwater grow stronger and bigger is because the highstorms carry a lot of nutrients. Which could be a natural explanation for Cultivation's meddling, but I am willing to bet it's just a natural explanation for a natural cause.

Here is the quote you were looking for Mailliw:

Wetlander: Are the highstorms related to the splintering of Honor? (Brandon spoke over the word Honor in starting his response)

A: The highstorms are more related to the mist from Mistborn which terminology we have not discussed yet. (also affirmed the well as being similar).  You have seen splinters quite a bit on various planets.

Thanks, Shardlet!

Argent, I think the quote is ambiguous enough that it is not a stretch to correlate the storms with a Shard's power.

I don't see the relationship between the words Stormfather and Heralds, but even if it is, it could be errors passed down through generations or just ignorance. No Vorin society would say that a woman rules the storms, the men rule in their culture.

@Shardlet

Unrelated question: Did Brandon actually say "TLR" in that one answer? If so, I find that amusing. :)

Probably not.  Abbreviating book titles and TLR are almost automatic for me now. 

Edit: @Mailliw and Argent-  If I am not mistaken, "Stormfather" refers to Jezrien not Honor.  Also we already know that the concept "the Almighty" is somewhat confused and blended.  Therefore, "Heralds of the Almighty" should not necessarily be interpreted as being exclusively linked to Honor.  We also know that Cultivation and Honor have worked together at least to some degree since at least many of the bonding spren are a blend of Honor and Cultivation.  I don't see any reason why the highstorms could not likewise be at least a blend of Honor and Cultivation.  As to the nutrients in the highstorms, where did the nutrients come from?  It is a good point that should not be so easily brushed away.  Crem comes in the highstorms (is the nutrients?).  No easy answers to the reasons for these things.

Edited by Shardlet

Argent, I think the quote is ambiguous enough that it is not a stretch to correlate the storms with a Shard's power.

I don't see the relationship between the words Stormfather and Heralds, but even if it is, it could be errors passed down through generations or just ignorance. No Vorin society would say that a woman rules the storms, the men rule in their culture.

The similarity between the highstorms and the mists was not a major point, I was just tossing it out there, for completeness' sake. Plus, I think I was the first one to explicitly make the connection that the highstorms could be Honor's body/power, so you bet I believe that's the case*. You are not preaching to the choir, you are preaching to the preacher :P

As for the relationship between the Stormfather and the Heralds - Jezrien is famously known as the Stormfather, and he is equally famously known as a Herald. Though I probably should've been more verbose in my original reply, saying something like: "Jezrien, a Herald of the Almighty and commonly known as the Stormfather, is probably related somehow to the highstorms, considering his title. Since he is also related to the Almighty - being his Herald and all - it makes sense that the Almighty (Honor) and the highstorms are related, though probably not directly."

You can bet, but you shouldn't. Given how Brandon danced around the question, I'd say things are not as simple as saying "mists are Preservation's body, highstorms are Honor's." I am oversimplifying things up there.

The mists served several functions in Mistborn, both existing as Preservation's body/power and also serving as a natural balance to Ruin. Also, they snapped people. So the storms might be related to spren creating Nahel bonds, they might counteract Odium passively, and they can probably be taken up by someone who becomes attuned to the power of Honor enough. Also, I find it interesting that the last desolation is referred to as the Everstorm, and I believe someone said that desolations could be predicted mathematically with varying accuracy, similar to highstorms. In line with the mists, perhaps a highstorm occurs every time that a desolation has the potential to occur and thus prevents any desolations from happening by acting as the opposite force to Odium.

I'd like to point out Harmony and Endowment do things similar to the highstorm water in Elendel Basin and Hallandren. Just because Cultivation has a very convenient Intent doesn't mean anything. Any Shard's power can have that effect on plants.

and I believe someone said that desolations could be predicted mathematically with varying accuracy, similar to highstorms.

I think this came from an offhand remark that it would be interesting of the cycle Desolations was controlled - or at least depended on - the relative orbital periods of the planets in the Greater Roshar system. So if Braize - Odium's planet - is Damnation (as I speculate), then it's possible that the Desolations occur every time it and Roshar are close to each other. 

The similarity between the highstorms and the mists was not a major point, I was just tossing it out there, for completeness' sake. Plus, I think I was the first one to explicitly make the connection that the highstorms could be Honor's body/power, so you bet I believe that's the case*. You are not preaching to the choir, you are preaching to the preacher :P

As for the relationship between the Stormfather and the Heralds - Jezrien is famously known as the Stormfather, and he is equally famously known as a Herald. Though I probably should've been more verbose in my original reply, saying something like: "Jezrien, a Herald of the Almighty and commonly known as the Stormfather, is probably related somehow to the highstorms, considering his title. Since he is also related to the Almighty - being his Herald and all - it makes sense that the Almighty (Honor) and the highstorms are related, though probably not directly."

You can bet, but you shouldn't. Given how Brandon danced around the question, I'd say things are not as simple as saying "mists are Preservation's body, highstorms are Honor's." I am oversimplifying things up there.

Haha, maybe you were the second one to suggest this. http://www.17thshard.com/forum/topic/1826-the-fate-of-tanavast-and-the-shard-of-honor/?hl=%2Bhighstorm+%2Bhonor+%2Bmist

Back to the OP, I think you're on the right track. My opinion is that the storms themselves are of Honor, like the mists were of Preservation, but crem is linked to Cultivation. Like you said, crem is good for cultivating so I don't think it's too far of a stretch to make the connection. We know Honor and Cultivation were united and even lovers. I think the storms carry crem because the two powers were linked in some way. It's like some spren being purely of Honor, some purely of Cultivation, and some a combination of the two. I have no idea how this is possible (or if it even is), but it feels right to me.

So I kind of blend this theory with this one: http://www.17thshard.com/forum/topic/4588-crem-is-the-body-of-cultivation/

I'd like to point out Harmony and Endowment do things similar to the highstorm water in Elendel Basin and Hallandren. Just because Cultivation has a very convenient Intent doesn't mean anything. Any Shard's power can have that effect on plants.

But it would fit nicely with her intent, even better IMO than it does with the others. It isn't proof, it just goes along with what I would expect to see if this theory is correct.

Edited by bookspren

I also think that it is important to note how the Heralds correspond to different orders of the Knights Radiant, which are comprised of different aspects from both Honor and Cultivation. I don't think it would be too unlikely for the Heralds to reflect that duality as well, and the highstorms might show that too. (The cultivation aspect could be the energy of stormwater, with honor giving it their fury).

• Chaos locked this topic