Observation on Shadesmar

Chaos

So I noticed this about Shadesmar: all the things come in threes.

Sea of Regrets, Sea of Souls, Sea of Lost Lights

Nexus of Truth, Nexus of Transition, Nexus of Imagination

Expanse of the Densities, Expanse of the Broken Sky, Expanse of the Vapors

Three sets of three, even.

Considering we have three Shards on Roshar (and don't say we don't. I mean it. I will smack you), they could correspond to Shards. Or they could correspond to the three Realms--Physical, Cognitive, and Spiritual. Or both.

But we haven't done much theorizing about that Shadesmar image, so let's get to it right now!

Well, what do we really know about Shadesmar? Apart from knowing that Hoid uses it to planet-hop, most of it comes from the back of the book, Shallan's brief visits, and some mentions in the Geranid chapter. That's not a lot to go by.

On a side note, I feel that some of the dying see Shadesmar: the chapter 4 epigraph describes a "distant sun, dark and cold, shining in a black sky." this is strikingly similar to the description of Shadesmar given in Shallan's visits.

Well, what do we really know about Shadesmar? Apart from knowing that Hoid uses it to planet-hop, most of it comes from the back of the book, Shallan's brief visits, and some mentions in the Geranid chapter. That's not a lot to go by.

On a side note, I feel that some of the dying see Shadesmar: the chapter 4 epigraph describes a "distant sun, dark and cold, shining in a black sky." this is strikingly similar to the description of Shadesmar given in Shallan's visits.

Well (Mistborn Spoilers!) we know that Kelsier didn't completely pass on, and existed in the Realms still, where he held Preservation for a while. It's very reasonable that the dead go to Shadesmar (the Cognitive), by that logic.

Does that have something to do with the old "unfinished business" cliche do you think?

It appears that way. But since the Realms are tied up with all the magic, there's probably a more magical explanation.

Does this mean that you are worshiped as a god? Or you were just an extremely important person, not wealthy, but someone who changed the world?

I have no idea what it means. It could be a lot of things, really.

I wouldn't read too much into the number of things on the Shadesmar map. Brandon mentioned something about how there was supposed to be another label where it says Shadesmar, but Isaac deleted it or moved it because it would get in the way of the Shadesmar label. Also, remember that this map is supposed to represent a stained-glass window that actually exists somewhere in the cosmere. It could be just as wrong as the Mistborn metal charts that show atium in a pair with gold.

• 4 months later...

So I noticed this about Shadesmar: all the things come in threes.

Sea of Regrets, Sea of Souls, Sea of Lost Lights

Nexus of Truth, Nexus of Transition, Nexus of Imagination

Expanse of the Densities, Expanse of the Broken Sky, Expanse of the Vapors

Three sets of three, even.

Considering we have three Shards on Roshar (and don't say we don't. I mean it. I will smack you), they could correspond to Shards. Or they could correspond to the three Realms--Physical, Cognitive, and Spiritual. Or both.

But we haven't done much theorizing about that Shadesmar image, so let's get to it right now!

As far as I understand the cosmology Shadesmar is connected to all of the Cosmere´s worlds. In that case it would hardly make any sense to me for Roshar´s shards to be represented in Shadesmar´s construction...

I think Shadesmar is a non-physical representation of the real world(s) that are somehow connected to the other cosmere worlds through the cognitive connection. How I'm not sure.

I've thought this too as the Rosharan Shadesmar exactly imitates Roshar. Maybe thats how you travel worlds? Go to the Cognitive realm, think it to the world you're aiming for's shape, then leave. Although now that i say it it seems a bit Tel'Aron'Riod-ish.

Also Brandon says in the mistborn 3 annotations that Kelsier did move on to the afterlife that exsists in the cosmology, but piggybacked a bit of his mind into the void left by Preservation's death, until Vin takes it up, and shoves him out.

Edited by Asha'man Logain

• Chaos locked this topic