Let me know if you get this error

Chaos

Hey guys, could I ask a favor of you? I did something to fix the wiki (which didn't even work) and now i'm getting error messages like this:

Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 134217728 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 432722288 bytes) in Unknown on line 0

This error message appears at the very bottom of the forum and has a font color that blends in with the site, so you may need to highlight the text to see if it's there.

Tell me the exact error message you get, the browser you used, and the page you were on. I most often get it on the Home and Forum page, though I get it elsewhere as well. Chrome has the error, Firefox does not seem to.

Thanks for your help. Whatever the error is, it is non-critical and the site seems to be functioning perfectly fine. The second error often has a different number value, so don't let that faze you.

EDIT: I have now encountered this error when trying to edit posts. Posts do in fact edit, but when you click "save changes" the edit dialog doesn't disappear. Refresh the page and it will work. That said, in some cases (like this particular edit) I do not see said error.

Obviously if you see this error anywhere please post here as soon as possible.

Edited by Chaos

Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 134217728 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 202129776 bytes) in Unknown on line 0

On this page right here

(as a preliminary guess, I'd say remove any changes you made to php.ini

Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 134217728 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 202129776 bytes) in Unknown on line 0

On this page right here

(as a preliminary guess, I'd say remove any changes you made to php.ini

Same (on chrome, same values and everything as joe).

Also got this error when trying to quote joe here.

You may want to check your .htaccess files to make sure they aren't overriding a global memory limit somewhere.

Edit:

different on a refresh, though --

<br style="color: rgb(28, 40, 55); font-size: 14px; background-color: rgb(2, 3, 36); ">Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 134217728 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 351850864 bytes) in Unknown on line 0

I fixed it this brute force way: increasing memory_limit. What could go wrong???

I'm not seeing this error any longer on any of my browsers. Let me know immediately if this appears again.

I fixed it this brute force way: increasing memory_limit. What could go wrong???

I'm not seeing this error any longer on any of my browsers. Let me know immediately if this appears again.

That's usually a way to fix it. :P

So long as your memory_limit multiplied by the Maxclients doesn't exceed the memory capacity of your server, that shouldn't cause issues. Also, if we still saw it after you jacked up the memory limit, it would mean there's a memory leak somwhere. If not, then it's likely the overall size of the datasets the site uses was increased by something you did.

• 1 year later...

Didn't want to make a new thread as this one already exists (even though it is old now).

Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 387973120 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 503953712 bytes) in Unknown on line 0

Appears in the pop-up when I mouse over a user's name. IE 11, windows 8.1

The following comes up every time I use the quote function - it actually appears in the reply box (but I can delete it before posting)

Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 387973120 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 510187824 bytes) in Unknown on line 0

Edited by Senor Feesh

Didn't even know there was a thread here, but the second issue occurs for me as well - any use of the 'quote' button brings up the memory allocation error. This holds true on all major desktop browsers, and mobile Safari.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been seeing it all over the place, but the only one I think I remember is in the box when you start a new PM. I'm seeing them on IE 11, IE 10 on Windows Phone, and Chrome.

Edit: And occasionally when editing. I also often need to refresh before the post updates, but I was never sure if that was just due to a lousy connection.

Edited by SirVarrock