The new map

Isilel

So, was anybody else surprised to see that North and South  aren't actually divided by an ocean, but are on the same landmass?  Did Harmony move the South when he was re-making the world? And, I guess, the southerners just fly over the water because there are more different dangerous air currents over land, or something? Is there something on the other side of the world, I wonder? Or is it essentially a one-continent world?

Edited by Isilel

I really do hope there are more continents - the weird shape of the map would suggest it as a possibility, at least. As a matter of fact, it is weird that anyone would fly above water; airplanes nowadays do their absolute best to fly above land as much as possible. Maybe it's connected to the fact their airships are built like... Well... Ships.

10 hours ago, Isilel said:

So, was anybody else surprised to see that North and South  aren't actually divided by an ocean, but are on the same landmass?  Did Harmony move the South when he was re-making the world? And, I guess, the southerners just fly over the water because there are more different dangerous air currents over land, or something? Is there something on the other side of the world, I wonder? Or is it essentially a one-continent world?

What the map doesn't necessarily convey is how tall the mountains are. Like, maybe they're equivalent to the Himalayas (think Mt. Everest)?

Not sure what the cruising altitude is of the Southern airships, but if they're meant to parallel dirigibles from the early 20th Century on Earth, those typically flew at well under 5,000 feet of altitude, often just 1,000 feet, for a number of reasons (including not having a pressurized cabin).

16 hours ago, robardin said:

Not sure what the cruising altitude is of the Southern airships, but if they're meant to parallel dirigibles from the early 20th Century on Earth, those typically flew at well under 5,000 feet of altitude, often just 1,000 feet, for a number of reasons (including not having a pressurized cabin).

I think something like 1000 feet (or was it yards?) minimum was mentioned, with some ships being able to fly high enough that people cannot breathe on deck. 

On 11/16/2022 at 4:03 AM, Isilel said:

Does anyone know if there's a copy of the map online? I'm listening to the audiobook so I don't have it

1 hour ago, bmcclure7 said:

It appears there's a 3rd group on this planet.

I believe Allik alluded to them already in BoM Ch. 21:

"You traveled from your lands to find the Bands of Mourning," Waxillium said. "Why are they up here?"

"Hidden away," Allik said. "When the Sovereign left us, he took them with him, ... And that was dumb, yah? Because we could really use those to fight the Deniers of Masks."

"Deniers of masks? Like us?"

"No, no," Allik said, laughing. "You're just barbarians. The Deniers are really dangerous."

If the Set, a ruthless group brimming with Metalborn powers that had just captured and tortured Allik's crew, were "just barbarians" relative to the Deniers of Masks, who were so dangerous that they were desperate to find the legendary Bands of Mourning to fight them... Egad!