The rhythm of harmony

Spearguy

I have a few questions about how harmony's rhythm works. Is it a complete mixture of Ruin and Preservation? Although that doesn't seem right as Preservation and Ruin are opposites. Because of that would their two rhythms function as anti tones? Also would the theoretical other possibility of the combination of Ruin and Preservation Discord be the opposite of Harmony?

But here's the thing unlike Odium and Honor who are not actually opposites Preservation and Ruin are the exact opposite, when the combine the new intent is not the overlap of the other two shards. The new intent is instead defined completely by the nature of the combination itself.

23 minutes ago, Spearguy said:

But here's the thing unlike Odium and Honor who are not actually opposites Preservation and Ruin are the exact opposite, when the combine the new intent is not the overlap of the other two shards. The new intent is instead defined completely by the nature of the combination itself.

Not entirely correct. The intent is formed not just from the Shards and how they combine, but also by how the Vessel views that combination. Sazed became Harmony, in part, because he viewed the combination of Ruin and Preservation as Harmony - the forces that created Scadrial

Spoiler

HoA Ch 82

The powers were opposites. As he drew them in, they threatened to annihilate each other. And yet, because he was of one mind on how to use them, he could keep them separate. They could touch without destroying each other, if he willed it. For these two powers had been used to create all things. If they fought, they destroyed. If they were used together, they created.

WoB

Shallan's Ward

While Sazed holds Preservation and Ruin, could his intent change from Harmony to Discord?

Brandon Sanderson

It is possible

But I agree, the Rhythm of Harmony would probably not be like TowerLight or WarLight, a blending of the Rhythms of Ruin and Preservation - just as Harmonium isn't an alloy of Lerasium and Atium. It would likely be a separate, distinct rhythm unto itself.

The question then becomes would the Rhythm of Discord be different than the Rhythm of Harmony should the intent change or should there be a new vessel for Harmony that changed the intent.

Edited by Treamayne
SPAG

1 hour ago, Treamayne said:

The question then becomes would the Rhythm of Discord be different than the Rhythm of Harmony should the intent change or should there be a new vessel for Harmony that changed the intent.

I think it would change but i dont think a new Vessel would be needed. Imo Harmony isnt a true Intent, its not... permenent like Ruin and Pres are,  its how he views the combination of those two powers. His perception, while though a lot, isnt everything. 

Honestly i bet as of current books his tone probably sounds a little Discordant already.

I'm more interested in what one might be able to do with these Rythms, as they are rudimentary ways of manipulating ambient Investiture.

Perhaps by playing the Rythm of Harmony in the Mists will create Harmonium?

Or maybe it would be a way to create 'stable' Harmonium, which would be less explodey.