Book recommendations wanted

Vin(Diesel)

Could you people recommend some books for someone who likes Brandon Sanderson?

I'm mostly looking for adult books (as opposed to YA and younger), though I don't want graphic love scenes, and I insist on having some sympathetic characters. Fantasy is good, though non-fantasy could be good too. 

Any suggestions?

The Nevernight Chronicle! It's more lyrical prose than Brandon's Orwellian, and it contains a lot more mature themes, but it's good if you can handle some gore and sexuality.

Edit: It's really not like Brandon at all now that I think about it, but you should definitely give it a shot.

Edited by Ookla the Confused

How about a nice crime thriller?

I personally love "The Chemistry of Death" by Simon Beckett. (And the sequels but the first one is the best starting point.)

It's about the discovery of a very decomposed body near a village and the following investigations. No grafical sex scenes but several explicit description of corpses, focused on what happened biologicly and chemicly after death. 

Worth a look if you enjoy murder mysteries.

Scary Stories for Young Foxes (and the second book too.) They're told from the perspective of young foxes being told stories about hard lives. They're scary a bit, but not superdark. I'd say they're lighter than Mistborn.

The Fablehaven series is always fun. It has a sequel series, Dragonwatch, which is also fun.

The Redwall books are kinda fun.

On 15/12/2021 at 9:45 AM, Vin(Diesel) said:

Could you people recommend some books for someone who likes Brandon Sanderson?

I'm mostly looking for adult books (as opposed to YA and younger), though I don't want graphic love scenes, and I insist on having some sympathetic characters. Fantasy is good, though non-fantasy could be good too. 

Any suggestions?

Oh, and John Scalzi's Lock In is also good, though I don't remember the content rating for that one.

• 2 weeks later...

It's mostly science fiction, rather than fantasy, but anything by David Brin.  My 2nd favorite author.  He's got several collections of short stories, so you can start small... and he's also done a vast epic multi-novel saga if you want one. 

Very believable and relatable characters, fantastic worldbuilding, compelling stories, solid science.  Really, he's the most Brandon-like non-Brandon author I can think of.

On 12/15/2021 at 9:33 PM, Szeth_Pancakes said:

-The Shadow and Bone trilogy by Leigh Bardugo

- The Lunar Chronicles by Stephanie Meyer

- An Ember in the Ashes series by Sabaa Tahir

Agreed. Also Six of Crows and King of Scars by Leigh Bardugo

Ender's Game. Ender's Shadow and the rest of the Shadow series is also really good. Both are by Orson Scott Card

BTW, the Lunar Chronicles are by Marissa Meyer, not Stephanie Meyer; Stephanie Meyer is her sister :). That series is one of my favorites!