2018-06-02 - BookCon - New York City

WeiryWriter

Hey so Brandon is coming to NYC for BookCon in June! Unfortunately it seems that he will only be there on Saturday.

Right now they only have one panel for him listed on their website, but he should be doing a signing at some point.

Magic and Power

Jun 02, 2018, 2:15 PM - 3:15 PM

Magic and power are two elements that make fantasy thrive. That power can be seen on the battlefield or within the lies that characters tell themselves that manipulate their actions. Fan favorites Cassandra Clare (The Mortal Instruments), Veronica Roth (The Fates Divide), Brandon Sanderson (The Way of Kings), Marissa Meyer (Renegades), and Tomi Adeyemi (Children of Blood and Bone) talk about the power struggles their characters face and the conflicts that bring them all in for the fights of their lives.

I'm very excited to be going, but who else will be there?

On 4/22/2018 at 4:49 PM, Steeldancer said:

Ok, I MIGHT be there if my mom agrees to drive me. 

On 4/22/2018 at 8:04 PM, Stark said:

Damnit, now I need to convince my wife that she wants to go visit her parents that weekend.  Lets see if we can do this.(Honestly, probably not)

I expect both of you to be very convincing!

And work has just informed me that I will be in Toronto the week before this, only getting home late on June 1st.  Driving Montreal to New York after getting back to Montreal around 8pm and not having been home for a week is not a good plan, or a safe plan.  Especially not if I want to be a happy personable person when I get my chance to meet Brandon.

So, I'm going to have miss this one, and hope another opportunity comes soon.

• 1 month later...

Does anyone know the process for book signings at Book Con?
Their site says "all signings that take place in the BookCon Autographing Area will be digitally ticketed before the Show" 

but I can't find any place to reserve signing tickets. How does this work?

So I had a really fantastic time at BookCon this weekend. Hanging out with @Ravioli and @Dissentinel was awesome and it was great to finally meet Brandon (and Emily, who is seriously awesome). I do have a few WoBs to share:

This first one was asked by Dissentinel with some commentary from Ravi (hopefully they can chime in if my memory is faulty but I think have the spirit of the exchange).

Dissentinel (paraphrased)

Would it be possibly to have a bunch of iron Ferrings store a bunch of weight into some iron, turn that iron into steel, and then use that steel to make guns as a cheaper alternative to aluminum?

Brandon (paraphrased)

Yeah but the guns wouldn't be immune--

Ravi (paraphrased)

But they would be resistant, that little bit of extra time could be enough to make a difference.

Brandon (paraphrased)

Yeah.

Dissentinel (paraphrased)

And the guns would be harder to see with iron/steelsight, correct?

Brandon (paraphrased)

Yes, they would be. Do keep in mind however that we get a very skewed perception of the world and how important stuff like this is because the main characters of the books are Allomancers. This just isn't something that is important to the average person on the street. But this does relate to some things later on in the series.

----

WeiryWriter (paraphrased)

So in Mistborn: Secret History, the leader of the Ire is named Alonoe. This is also the name of the lake in Arelon. Is she named after the lake? Is the lake named after her? Or--

Brandon (paraphrased)

*smiling* RAFO!

----

So in the Way of Kings Ars Arcanum we get a really good explanation of the different kinds of fabrials. Then in Words of Radiance we get a new kind of fabrial, one that attracts certain substances, but they weren't discussed in the Words of Radiance Ars Arcanum. And they are not in Oathbringer's either.

Brandon (paraphrased)

Yeah, so this is actually something Isaac has been bugging me about. There is no reason they were not included other than me being lazy.

----

If there are fabrials that can attract substances, are there ones that repel?

Brandon (paraphrased)

Yeah, there are.

----

There are a couple others that were caught by the recording. One was about a possible connection between the Nightwatcher and the mistspren which got RAFO'd. The other was about a connection between singer gemhearts and the fain life, which did get an answer (they're related to something called Tamu Keks... whatever those are).

Looking at Arcanum now, I don't understand the Q&A about whether Rand visited "the Wise Women". I can't make sense of the audio, but that just doesn't make sense as a WoT question. "Wise Women" is a local term for female healers, and not really part of Rand's story. "Wise Ones" is a larger group Rand has a lot of contact with, but there's no mystery about whether he "went to" them.

My guess is the question is asking about the ending:

It's possibly asking if Rand ever saw his three girlfriends again, after the end of the story. Brandon is known to prefer this ending, as does basically all of fandom, but it isn't canon. Fandom tends to call them "Rand's women", I think because "girlfriend" sounds like an anachronism, and they never came up with a better term.

edit: I forgot that Rand never married them. The ceremony I think of as a marriage wasn't a marriage.

Edited by Morsk

• 3 weeks later...