Ruinous History of Nightblood

Fatikis

58 minutes ago, Weltall said:

Which, I must again point out, requires more atium than actually exists in the post-Catacendre world.

To be completely fair, at the time when Nightblood was made, it was likely pre-Catacendre. 

That doesn't really change the fact that that amount of atium would've still been near-impossible to obtain as most produced was sent to the Trustwarren with only beads sold to the nobles. 

Edited by Spoolofwhool

On 1/3/2018 at 6:49 PM, Fatikis said:

Can anyone think of any reason this could not be the case?

Travel Destinations. Nightblood was created by Team Hanald(Vasher, Shashara, and Denth). Vasher is confirmed and Denth is implied to have not gone to Scadrial. That means that only Shashara went there. You posit that she went to Scadrial to find a material to experiment with, without either of her fellow scholars, one of whom was her brother and the other was her husband. I don't see her doing that. If she wasn't gonna provide all the details to her colleagues, why involve them at all?

Reasons 2 and 3 have both been brought up already, and are more conclusive. Weltall mentioned that the Annotations say that Yesteel would have made more of them and destroyed Hallandren. I don't see him acquiring(or TLR allowing) that much Atium to be taken.

Lastly, Spool mentioned that the Annotations say that Shashara would have told Hanald how to make more. Is she just supposed to say "I used this otherworldly metal to make it, but good luck"? Or will she lie and say "I used steel" and then just hope it works? If she's gonna give the secret away, there's gotta be some value in the information she gives. More specifically, there have to be people who can make use of that information for it to be worth giving away.

On 1/4/2018 at 3:28 PM, Spoolofwhool said:

To be completely fair, at the time when Nightblood was made, it was likely pre-Catacendre. 

That doesn't really change the fact that that amount of atium would've still been near-impossible to obtain as most produced was sent to the Trustwarren with only beads sold to the nobles. 

SuperCrackpot theory: Those greedy Ventures were behind it!:P

Spoiler

Questioner

In Secret History, Hoid says something to Kelsier about him destroying the Pits and destroying an entire mercantile system. Is he talking about literal inter-Realmic trade?

Brandon Sanderson

Yes. Interplanetary trade, yes.

Questioner

Follow-up: Is House Venture involved?

Brandon Sanderson

House Venture is not involved. People in House Venture might be.

Questioner

The guy who--

Brandon Sanderson

Here is a RAFO card for your follow-up. House Venture is-- Yes

4 hours ago, The One Who Connects said:

Weltall mentioned that the Annotations say that Yesteel would have made more of them and destroyed Hallandren.

Oathbringer spoilers:

Spoiler

Vivenna has an awakened blade, but it is not as powerful as Nightblood is. Which points to the possibility that Nightblood is unique even among awakened blades. Yesteel could have just been referencing making those blades. I'm not necessarily supporting the atium idea, but Nightblood still doesn't fit. 

27 minutes ago, Varenus said:

SuperCrackpot theory: Those greedy Ventures were behind it!:P

Hide contents

Questioner

In Secret History, Hoid says something to Kelsier about him destroying the Pits and destroying an entire mercantile system. Is he talking about literal inter-Realmic trade?

Brandon Sanderson

Yes. Interplanetary trade, yes.

Questioner

Follow-up: Is House Venture involved?

Brandon Sanderson

House Venture is not involved. People in House Venture might be.

Questioner

The guy who--

Brandon Sanderson

Here is a RAFO card for your follow-up. House Venture is-- Yes

OB Spoiler

Spoiler

Based on OB, it seems possible and maybe likely that the export from Scadrial was canned food. 

At least, more likely than atium which as the Ventures still didn't have access to. Obligators dealt with the opening of the geodes and the removal of atium, with House Venture transporting empty geodes to Luthadel. The Ventures, like all other nobles, only had access to the few beads of the yield which TLR sold to them.

Just for sake of completeness.

As others pointed out, Nightblood's Creation most likely predate Harmony's birth for timeline reasons.

But mostly, I find extremely unlikely for the sword to be' made of an Atium Spike. I could do a degree accept an Atium sword or a Spike Sword but not both at the same time.

The Atium is priceless, accessing so much to craft a sword is most of anyone could realistic do. Much more that Atium has to be' forged and turned into a Spike (and Hemalurgy's knowledge is not so common) without a real reason.

Also find a Sword that is casualty an Hemalurgic Spike is unlikely but at least It is a bit more likely than an Atium's One and could fit with Vasher's inner thought. It could be' a Steel Spike.

Maybe the sword they used was a Steel Spike without anyone of them know It...but still is so unlikely.

A few notes:
You can't Awaken a deadspren Shardblade.

https://wob.coppermind.net/events/312-orem-signing/#e8953

Questioner [PENDING REVIEW]

If you were to try and Awaken a dead Shardblade with Awakening, like you can with a metal sword, would that be possible, or what would happen?

Brandon Sanderson [PENDING REVIEW]

That would probably not work.  Not probably.  That would just not work.

Atium is described basically like mercury, except solid:

Vin studied the tiny, silvery ball of metal. It was so reflective and bright that it almost seemed to be a drop of liquid, yet it was solid to the touch.

You can definitely tell, at a glance, between steel and mercury.  Mercury is incredibly shiny, far more so than steel.  And yes, Vasher would have had enough Breaths for automatic color recognition.

In TLR's Empire, that small ball of atium that Vin is holding cost about 2000 boxings.  Enough to make a sword would be.....somewhere in the millions, I would guess.  And there's no chance that a purchase that large wouldn't draw the notice of the Steel Ministry, or TLR himself.  And to purchase that much multiple times to make multiple swords?  Not enough atium existed in circulation for even one sword, let alone multiple.

Just because Vasher doesn't know the exact Command or method of forging the Breaths into Nightblood does not mean that he didn't know or couldn't tell what the sword was made of in the first place.  The two of them were working and planning together.  In order to do that, he would have had to handle and theorize about the sword.  I just don't see any possibility that he didn't know what it was made of.

In this WoB, Brandon explicitely makes a difference between awakening a regular physical object, and working with an object that is made of Investiture.  As atium is made of Investiture, if NB were made of atium, he wouldn't have made this differential.

https://wob.coppermind.net/events/9-calamity-philadelphia-signing/#e7902

Questioner

Is there a correlation, at all, between Awakening steel, a blade, and the revival of spren every time a shardblade is summoned? I mean, I know Invesiture is Investiture is Invesiture.

Brandon Sanderson

So revival of the spren so--

Questioner

Similar.

Brandon Sanderson

Okay. So, are you talking about a live shardblade or a dead one, or it doesn’t matter.

Questioner

Like Nightblood.

Brandon Sanderson

Okay.

Questioner

Awakening the steel, like that, Shardblades <are like Awakening metal> and stuff.

Brandon Sanderson

Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah. The big difference here is that in one you’re using a physical component, right, and investing it. In another, a more pure Invesiture is passing into the Physical Realm and taking on an embodiment, a shape. Does that make sense? And so, similar but different things. There is a correlation, but it’s not--yeah.

• Chaos locked this topic