2017-11-15 [Oathbringer] Borderlands Books - San Francisco, CA

Farnsworth

Hey, guess who’s an idiot and forgot to type out my WoBs after uploading the audio? (Spoiler Alert: It’s Me)

Anyways, here are some of the questions that I asked and the answers that I got.

Spoiler

Q: What are the geometric properties of Shadesmar? Is it curved, or is it a Euclidean Plane?

A: It’s like a single, infinite plane.

Q: So it extends forever.

A: So.. well.. kind of. Kind of yes. The problem is, what people don’t think about doesn’t really appear there, in Shadesmar, so the edges are weird.

Q: Also, is there anything that we don’t know about the expanses right now that you’d be willing to tell us?

A: Uhh... I think I’ve told you about all of them. Is there one I haven’t told you about yet?

Q: Um, I don’t know, I’ve checked the words of Brandon before I wrote these questions. I think we know that um one of them is Mistborn, and, um, not Mistborn, Scadrial, and [trails off]

A: So Densities is Sel. We put that one on, right, Expanse of the Densities? So, if we didn’t you now know, Desnities is Sel.

(Sorry this one was before I finished Oathbringer)

Q: Are the ritos in Kholinar related to the Thrill, and is there and Unmade centered there?

A: RAFO

Q: Is each Herald only broken once for each Desolation, thus making there 9 Desolations, or are they broken multiple times?

A: Uhh... there are more than 9 Desolations.

Q: Also, does each of the Unmade have a corresponding order of the Knights Radiant?

A: Ughhh... kind of.

Q: Ok. So there are 9 Unmade right, so I believe one Radiant Order is left out?

A: Uh... Bondsmith. But it’s not as one to one, there’s some fuzziness in there.

Q: Have we seen the new Shardworld yet?

A: Which one?

Q: Obrodai... I think?

A: Uhh... RAFO.

Q: What is the difference between the Surge of Tension and Cohesion?

A: Sorry, that’s a RAFO. We’re gonna have to wait until we get some Radiants that are doing these things.

14 hours ago, XS-Terrain said:

Hey, guess who’s an idiot and forgot to type out my WoBs after uploading the audio? (Spoiler Alert: It’s Me)

Anyways, here are some of the questions that I asked and the answers that I got.

Hide contents

Q: Also, is there anything that we don’t know about the expanses right now that you’d be willing to tell us?

A: Uhh... I think I’ve told you about all of them. Is there one I haven’t told you about yet?

Q: Um, I don’t know, I’ve checked the words of Brandon before I wrote these questions. I think we know that um one of them is Mistborn, and, um, not Mistborn, Scadrial, and [trails off]

A: So Densities is Sel. We put that one on, right, Expanse of the Densities? So, if we didn’t you now know, Desnities is Sel.

WAIT...Sel is the expanse of the Densities?!!!!!!! That blows the idea of it being the Broken Sky out of the water....

15 hours ago, XS-Terrain said:

Hide contents

Q: Also, does each of the Unmade have a corresponding order of the Knights Radiant?

A: Ughhh... kind of.

Q: Ok. So there are 9 Unmade right, so I believe one Radiant Order is left out?

A: Uh... Bondsmith. But it’s not as one to one, there’s some fuzziness in there.

This raises a lot of questions. Whoa.

Edited by masaru

1 hour ago, Ookla the Contradictory said:

WAIT...Sel is the expanse of the Densities?!!!!!!! That blows the idea of it being the Broken Sky out of the water....

I thought the Broken Sky was Taldain, because its tidally locked.  So the sky is like a clock, broken and unmoving.  Vapours was Scadrial, Densities was Sel, and I forget the fourth one.

5 minutes ago, Stark said:

I thought the Broken Sky was Taldain, because its tidally locked.  So the sky is like a clock, broken and unmoving.  Vapours was Scadrial, Densities was Sel, and I forget the fourth one.

Vibrance (which doesn't actually appear on the Shadesmar map, having been removed to make way for the word "Shadesmar") has been theorized as Nalthis.

Just now, Pagerunner said:

Vibrance (which doesn't actually appear on the Shadesmar map, having been removed to make way for the word "Shadesmar") has been theorized as Nalthis.

Which makes perfect sense given a magic that gives heightened perception of colour and sound.  And fits the arrangement of the planets.  I had figured we had marked Sel as Densities by process of elimination, and the geo-locking of the magic creating pockets of magic accross the planet that could be described as densities, as they get weaker the further you get from them.

Thanks @Pagerunner for having a better memory and/or search ability than me!

On 11/28/2017 at 7:53 AM, Stark said:

I had figured we had marked Sel as Densities by process of elimination, and the geo-locking of the magic creating pockets of magic accross the planet that could be described as densities, as they get weaker the further you get from them.

I figured Densities was Sel because the Investiture there resides in the Cognitive realm rather than the Spiritual, making things more dense than they would be normally. But dense pockets of magic works too.

28 minutes ago, MonsterMetroid said:

SOrry to be that guy but can someone point me to where I can find more information about these "densities" this is the first time I've heard of any of this

The Expanse of the Densities is an area in Shadesmar (the Cognitive Realm) presented in a map in the Way of Kings. It is one of three other Expanses, each of which represents a Shardworld other than Roshar that neighbors it in the Cognitive Realm.

Edited by XS-Terrain

19 hours ago, MonsterMetroid said:

SOrry to be that guy but can someone point me to where I can find more information about these "densities" this is the first time I've heard of any of this

Check out the Coppermind page here: https://coppermind.net/wiki/Shadesmar

It has links to all the Expanse pages and some general info. There might be spoilers for Oathbringer though, so be careful if you haven't read it yet.