What cosmere works can you see as a good show?

Kari

Question

14 answers to this question

I could see Mistborn as well, but I personally am not a fan of anime. Personally, I think Stormlight with the budget of Game of Thrones would make a fantastic TV show. The only problem is that it would soon progress past the point that the books are up too, and they would have to put it on hold, or do something else to bide their time. (Maybe they could have the interludes not be a regular part, but use them to fill the gaps between books?)

An Alloy of Law series would probably be the easiest to put on screen as a TV show. IMO Mistborn is the perfect length for a feature-length film, and Stormlight should be done after the Cosmere Cinematic Universe is better funded and has more of a fanbase, as it's complicated and high-risk.

39 minutes ago, Rider of Storms said:

An Alloy of Law series would probably be the easiest to put on screen as a TV show. IMO Mistborn is the perfect length for a feature-length film, and Stormlight should be done after the Cosmere Cinematic Universe is better funded and has more of a fanbase, as it's complicated and high-risk.

Not just the Alloy of Law, but maybe the whole Era 2 Mistborn. (Or allomancer Jack, although that would be a fun Cosmere Kid Cartoon.) I agree Mistborn would make a perfect film, and Stormlight should be done later. What do you think about the idea of the SA interludes being used as fillers between books?

Elantris seems more like a one-season TV event, maybe hosted on Netflix like Stranger Things.

Mistborn Era 1 could easily be split into two movies (Final Empire, then Well of Ascension/Hero of Ages combined) due to the first's ending being a standard sequel hook rather than a super obvious one like at the end of Well of Ascension.

Stormlight would need a lot of CGI, for the spren as well as for surgebinding. Actually, almost everything except maybe indoor scenes would have to be green screened due to the massive amount of foreign landscapes.

Don't know about the shorter Cosmere works or non-Cosmere books...

4 hours ago, Walin said:

Elantris seems more like a one-season TV event, maybe hosted on Netflix like Stranger Things.

Amen to that. The same could also be done with the Legion novellas, except it would have to be named something like Leeds for copyright's sake. (I know Legion's not cosmere, but I want to mention it anyway)

I think the first Mistborn trilogy could go the way of Lord of the Rings, where we'd have one live-action movie per book, but extended to about 3-4 hours long. I mean, LotR made it work. The same goes for the Wax and Wayne series. Though I believe Secret History would be better as an animated movie than live-action like the rest.

I honestly think Warbreaker would do best as an animated movie (though I don't want to go so far as anime, since I really dislike anime). But something close to that. White Sand, too.

The Stormlight Archive really would do best as a TV series, no doubt about it. But one with a huge budget and a ton of CGI.

Shadows for Silence in the Forests of Hell would do perfectly as a standalone movie. Sixth of the Dusk, too.

The Reckoners could very easily be a movie trilogy, and Snapshot would make just fine a spinoff. (Again, I know it's not cosmere, but I think it's the best movie material.)

Maybe a miniseries for each of the era 1 Mistborn books could work, like one episode for each part, then it might feel less daunting than a massive 3-4 hour movie. 

I'd love to see an adaptation of The Emperor's Soul, I think the visuals of the effects of a soul stamp flowing outwards would be really cool in an animation 

7 minutes ago, SylphrenaHonorSpren said:

I'd love to see Mistborn as a movie. It deserves a full budget to really portray allomancy well. I'd love to see Vin on the big screen. I would also like to see Warbreaker brought to life. It could make for a good one-series TV show, much like Elantris. 

I agree, cause allomancy doesn't require heaps of special effects to look good.

I think first Era would be an Awesome two or three movie if it's done well, and they can do a TV Spinoff of Era 2, Even though I'd love to see all of them to be made into LoTR Style Trilogies or something, I don't know if it would have the backing and audience for them to go all in on Mistborn, I think if they made a high dollar Contract to do three, it would be awesome. I would prefer Era 1 over Era 2, However. I stand by my opinion, that Warbreaker I think would be the easiest and most sensible movie to start with, you could have some absolute powerhouses in the movie because well, they're gods, the effects would be easier to do on a smaller budget I think, and it would introduce some interesting characters essential to the Cosmere, like Hoid and Nightblood. I also think that the only way to get WoK and WoR, and eventually Oathbringer on the Screen would be through a HBO tv series, but it does need to get to at least book 5 before there is any viable Beginning middle End.

On ‎10‎/‎23‎/‎2017 at 2:48 PM, SylphrenaHonorSpren said:

I would also like to see Warbreaker brought to life. It could make for a good one-series TV show, much like Elantris. 

They could go really crazy with the colors there. Really bring to life the contrast between the colorless nations and the colorful ones.

14 minutes ago, Farnsworth said:

They could go really crazy with the colors there. Really bring to life the contrast between the colorless nations and the colorful ones.

Not to mention, of course, how viewpoints under the different Heightenings would mess with the saturation.  

On 10/27/2017 at 0:13 PM, Landis963 said:

Not to mention, of course, how viewpoints under the different Heightenings would mess with the saturation.  

It's a good thing we have character viewpoints who deal with both sides of the change. Makes it a little more understandable to the general audience.

The book provides a couple opportunities to have that comparison in quick succession as well. (Vivenna and Parlin exploring Hallandren, Lightsong and Llarimar looking at the painting)

i know toward the end of the thread up to this point started talking about warbreaker, but- i'm always surprised to see how little response it gets for these types of questions considering *everything* in warbreaker is visual. i personally feel that it would translate to the movie screen a lot better (and easier) with a cheaper budget overall. with allomancy, i've often wondered how to best portray visually without 1st POV type shots how the directors can relay to the audience someone is burning any type of metal that isnt steel pushing/pulling. yes, we as readers know that the blue lines are only vis to the allomancer burning the metal- but... what about when we "see" spook flaring his metals in a conversation with vin? is he just sitting there with vin coming up and telling him to stop flaring them? how does the casual, non-sanderfan with any knowledge of allomancy see it? obviously all of us here want to see these movies come to life, and everyone reading this was likely super hyped when the announcement came that the entire cosmere was purchased for movie options... but- ultimately, if the movies fully come to fruition, the only way that we'll continue to get movies, is if enough people who have never heard of the cosmere are "wowed" enough during the movie in its 2hr form that they want to see more of it... all the while being true enough to the source material that we as sanderfans aren't outraged about how crappy the movie was, and how nothing stuck to the source material except names of people and the basic premise of magic metal.

tl;dr: warbreaker... cause its purty.