What Kind of Phone Do You Have?

Chaos

Welcome to the new technology discussion board. I have moved a few tech-related topics in General Discussion here, and hopefully this will let us blab about smartphones, tablets, gadgets, Windows, Macs, and whatevers here. Let's keep game consoles in Entertainment Discussion, however.

So! What kind of phone does everyone use here? Are you guys more of smartphone guys, or loving your feature phones (or hating data plans)?

I have a Galaxy Nexus, which is pretty much the best phone ever, if you can get around its size. Android 4 is awesome.

I used to have (up until about September) a Nokia 3410:

nokia3410.jpg

That worked a treat for what I needed it for, I don't use it much lol.

Now I've got a boring Samsung slidey phone from about 5 years ago, which is functionally worse than the 3410 XD.

I'm thinking of a tablet/smartphone, but I don't use my phone enough to justify a contract, and my technology addiction is satisfied by my computer. So *shrugs*, maybe sometime in the future, when all phones are significantly better than what's on offer atm.

I have a samsung epic 4G (android smartphone, not the touch version) but i plan on upgrading it this year. I'm just currently holding out for the tegra 3 phones to drop (and currently drooling at many of the offers now showing up at MWC this week)

I'm thinking of a tablet/smartphone, but I don't use my phone enough to justify a contract, and my technology addiction is satisfied by my computer. So *shrugs*, maybe sometime in the future, when all phones are significantly better than what's on offer atm.

I dont know about where you are, but here you can get prepaid phones that are smartphones, if you dont want a contract. There's also a few "contract-less" offers floating about here, though theyre much more rare than prepaid.

As for justifying it, i actually do the same to justify paying so much for a smart phone. I rarely use the "phone" features of my phone (i dont think i've ever used over 30-40 minutes per month of my 1,500 allowance. Though i'm on a family plan with my fiancee), so I figured if i'm going to pay a monthly fee for one, i'm going to get one that basically doubles as a portable PC so i can actually get some USE out of it rather than a phone call every 3-4 weeks.

I actually don't like phones. They make me paranoid, and I can barely communicate to people when face to face, let alone over the phone.

That aside, the phone I do have isn't all that special, it has unlimited texting, a calculator, and only two uses left of pac-man demo on it.

I don't really see the need for a fancy app phone since other pieces of technology I have do the same things.

I actually don't like phones. They make me paranoid, and I can barely communicate to people when face to face, let alone over the phone.

That aside, the phone I do have isn't all that special, it has unlimited texting, a calculator, and only two uses left of pac-man demo on it.

I don't really see the need for a fancy app phone since other pieces of technology I have do the same things.

The thing that, honestly, got me hooked on smart phones was the fact that my phone was with me at all times (because i always carry it around) and i swapped from using a pen-and-paper check register to record my finances, to an application on a smart phone back in...oh...2001 i think? Since then, the utility of having a phone with me all sorts of various tasks has been something I couldn't live without. :P

It's one of those things that before i actually HAD it, i didnt know what i was missing out on, and after having used it for so long, i cant imagine living without it.

Well, what I like more is being able to browse the internet wherever I want. It's mind-blowing.

Do the nook tablets have 3G? i thought only the older e-ink ones had 3G service in them, like the older kindles did.

No, but at the locations where there isn't a connection, I generally don't have the time or need to be on the internet. (i.e. driving)

No, but at the locations where there isn't a connection, I generally don't have the time or need to be on the internet. (i.e. driving)

well, there's plenty of things an internet connection is useful for when driving. Streaming music via internet radio/cloud music players/such things, getting alerts of speed traps via an app like trapster, live traffic updates, navigation/directions (with a GPS, of course), and probably other things i cant think of off hand :P

Granted, if the majority of your driving is basically "5-10 minutes in the car" type of driving, these things may not seem important, but back when i was driving an hour to and from work every day, the above things helped me out quite often.

First of all, let me preface this by saying that I am not arguing.

Streaming music via internet radio/cloud music players/such things,

I drive with no music.

getting alerts of speed traps via an app like trapster

Don't speed. :P

live traffic updates

I'll give you that one, but my usual driving pattern happens during a time when few cars are along my route.

navigation/directions (with a GPS, of course)

Or have an actual GPS

Granted, if the majority of your driving is basically "5-10 minutes in the car" type of driving,

Nope.

these things may not seem important, but back when i was driving an hour to and from work every day, the above things helped me out quite often.

When I have to drive anywhere important it usually is a 45 min drive.

All I am saying is that I'm good with what I have. I don't need all my gadgets in one item for the same reason I didn't root my Nook Tablet. It simply is not necessary at this time for me.

My smartphone has actually saved me from getting toll violations. I take toll roads between my home and my university since I'd rather pay a few more bucks to avoid the eternal torment that is I-95, and in order to facilitate that, I have a Sunpass (Florida's RFID toll paying device). But the RFID chip isn't enough - you also have to list the license plates of the vehicles you've authorized to use the device in your account settings. I was stopped for lunch before hitting the toll road, but too far away from my apartment to justify going back (unless I'd been without a smartphone, of course), when I realized that I had forgotten to register my new 17S license plate with my Sunpass. I just whipped out my phone, logged on to their mobile site, and voila. Crisis averted.

Also, anyone remember #alloyofline? That was brought to you by smartphones. That wouldn't have been possible via SMS Twitter, since you can only link one phone to a Twitter account that way and all five of the admins (at the time) were tweeting like crazy people from the main 17S account.

Anyways, I have a Droid 3, and I adore it. Best phone I've ever had, by far.

• 2 months later...

My personal mobile is a HTC wildfire but i'm due an upgrade soon. Its been a good phone, i use the camera on it alot and upload my pictures to facebook in seconds. Never really had a problem with it!

My work phone is an iPhone 4S, its ok but i still get connection problems. The camera on it though is absolutely fantastic (better than my digital camera!)

• 4 weeks later...

Just got myself a HTC Desire C, its pretty good apart from all the broken HTC bloatware. :D

Looks like someone finally jumped over to the smartphone side of things, eh? :P

(it's also basically a scaled back version of what I bought, the one X)

• 2 weeks later...

HTC Desire S

The only problem I have with it is feedback sensitivity. It becomes noticeable in text messages when sometimes you can't scroll back or insert the cursor between text. You have to go out of the message and go back in to solve the problem. Other than that, good phone.

I've got an iPhone 4. Wonderful phone. The only issue (and it's a big issue) is iTunes. I _hate_ it. It's the main reason I'm considering getting an android when it's time to get a new phone.

I would never go back to something that's not a smartphone, though.

• 1 month later...

Does anyone here have any experience with the Samsung Galaxy Note? I'm finally going to get a smartphone and this one is seriously appealing to me ... it's big enough it can double as an e-reader, and it has a stylus so it's a sketchbook too. I think if I tended to carry my phone in my pocket I might be put off by the size, but I usually have it in a purse anyway.

Does anyone here have any experience with the Samsung Galaxy Note? I'm finally going to get a smartphone and this one is seriously appealing to me ... it's big enough it can double as an e-reader, and it has a stylus so it's a sketchbook too. I think if I tended to carry my phone in my pocket I might be put off by the size, but I usually have it in a purse anyway.

I've generally only heard positive things about it. However, it's rumored that samsung will be launching a galaxy note 2 very soon, so you could either hold out for that to get it, or to see if that makes the price on the note 1 drop.

The only negatives i've heard about it are people complaining the screen is too big for them, which is a personal preference thing. If you have a store for your carrier near you that has it on display, that would be something i would recommend you go check out in person to make sure it's sized appropriately.

I have an iPhone 4s that I use constantly for everything; Facebook, Twitter, internet browsing, reading nook books, Goodreads, email, etc, etc.

I also have a Nook Color that I read a lot of books on. I didn't think I would like it as much as I do when I first bought it, but I hardly crack a book anymore. I have all of Brandon's books in hardback, signed and on display, but I read them on my Nook. Same with WOT, I started a re-read, but have been reading them on my Nook.

I am currently on a BlackBerry Bold and I really like it. It really suits me well and helps me go about with my usual work just like that.

Looking to jump onto the Android bandwagon soon and it seems like there really are a ton of great options to go with when jumping on a new handset.

Not much of a fan of the iPhone because I find it a little too controlling and does not offer you what a smartphone should be able to do so.