Alloy of Law Reactions *spoilers*

Chaos

Eric's note: this was originally the "Welcome to the Alloy of Law ARC Discussion" thread. I've edited it accordingly.

Welcome, welcome! It's about time we had one of these. I just wanted to say that when Alloy is released, I will move these topics to the main Mistborn board (with spoiler tags, of course). But, as it is, no one can see the posts here unless I've explicitly given them access to the board.

The current list of people allowed into the board are:

PeterAhlstrom

Inkthinker

Silus - Shard of Flame

Cruxist

RedBeardRaven

Chaos

KChan

Shivertongue

Rubix

firstRainbowRose

Edited by Chaos

Just want to add something, and if this has been addressed before, then... well, deal with it. :P

This is just a general, common sense rule that I am only stating so that it's on the record. Until Alloy is released, those who have read it or an ARC should not discuss what they know on any section of the forum other than this one. I would personally prefer that this include not even hinting or teasing at anything, because I know that used to annoy me.

Thoughts on this? Think I'm right, or completely off-base? I'm open to discussion. ^^

Ah, sorry about that post guys. I didn't think it was too much of a spoiler.

Anyways. I should probably ask something before going any further. Has everyone completed the book?

I didn't even know you posted anything. This was just a general statement. I'll let whatever you posted slide for now. :P

Ah, sorry about that post guys. I didn't think it was too much of a spoiler.

Anyways. I should probably ask something before going any further. Has everyone completed the book?

Yeah, I think it's safe to assume that anyone who has access to this board has completed the book. Feel free to make whatever topics you'd like.

Well then. I wanted to see if anyone has any idea about the Lord Mistborn? Was it Rashek? I don't remember TLR being so forward with the ladies, even enough to get them pregnant. Also, the heritage research really picked at me. He could trace all of the kidnapped girls back to the Lord Mistborn himself. I assume that the Steel Inquisitors were documenting the families and such and then the information just folded over to continue in with the new society, but that must be a lot of genealogy. (I must be missing something here or I am a complete fool. Probably the later.)

Was anybody surprised about the uncle at the end? As soon as the butler double cross happened that was the first thing that popped into my head.

I was surprised by the uncle.

The Lord Mistborn is Spook. He was made Mistborn at the end of Book Three, and there was the "High Imperial" tongue. He was their leader.

By the way, that High Imperial made me laugh so hard.

Well, technically, all Mistborn always had all sixteen powers (sort of; see the incident with cadmium/bendalloy being swapped out on the table there for a while), it's just that they didn't have knowledge of them for whatever reason. Sazed alludes to this in his letter at the end, which is also where we found out that Spook was made a Mistborn. Then, Wax's internal narration confirms that, yes, the other powers were discovered (rediscovered?) in Spook's lifetime.

I so wanted a High Imperial slogan for the Elendel Daily. "Alls the Knowings Wasing Fit for the Reading" or some such. The idea that his cant became the equivalent of Latin or somesuch gave me giggles to no end.

Isaac's suggestion (Newsworthy Content for Every Octant) was better, though.

SO, now that we're in here, I can ask, what did you guys think of that train fight? Or the final fight?

I liked Miles as a villain, kinda sad to see him go.

The train fight I enjoyed quite a bit. It was a perfect scene to solidify the setting into a western/industrial revolution feel. Mistborn style of course. I love the idea of compounding so that made Miles even more enjoyable since every time he got hit I kept imagining T1000 and the wounds closing themselves back up.

Oh man, the train fight was awesome. It was that classic Old West scenario, but with a Mistborn twist, which I really enjoyed. And that whole end sequence was fantastic. I knew cadmium was going to play into it somehow as soon as Wax made that cryptic comment about it being useful, but it seeing it come into play the way it did was really gratifying.

My favorite part of that ending sequence, though?

"You're welcome."

Oh man, the train fight was awesome. It was that classic Old West scenario, but with a Mistborn twist, which I really enjoyed. And that whole end sequence was fantastic. I knew cadmium was going to play into it somehow as soon as Wax made that cryptic comment about it being useful, but it seeing it come into play the way it did was really gratifying.

My favorite part of that ending sequence, though?

"You're welcome."

That whole conversation with Wax and Harmony was amazing.

Plus it proves that you were right Chaos. Harmony can definitely read minds. How? No idea. But it's cool that he can.

Also, where is Hoid? Peter has said it should be obvious (to us), but the only person who I suspected was the beggar in black who is at the Yomen Wedding, talking to Joshin and Mi'chelle.

Also, I occasionaly found myself making tiny sound effects throughout the book. And I don't know why, but actually reading the physical copy of it gave me a ton clearer image of Elendel, with it's railroads, canals and skyscrapers, all of it slowly caressed by the Mists of Harmony.....

Also, I find it appealing that Marasi is a more girly-girl. It's kind of nice after having Serene, with her strong personality, Vivenna, with her internal doubt and Breaths, and of course Vin, to see a girl who probably wouldn't run head first into a fight- unless her friends (or a certain more than friend?) was invovled. Someone who perfers the soft life. A Vallete.

Also, I loved the High Imperial, Vindication, and the Hazekiller bullets. Awesome. As was Harmony. And Marsh.

Oh! One more thing- Bettin. He acted.... odd in the end. Could it be that he is not actually Bettin? But instead a kandra, perhaps even TenSoon? A little bit of extra nudge from a certain god.... Or maybe he was shown a vision. But I don't think so. It seems like he was acting unlike himself, not like he was being influenced to say (or do) something else.

You can't leave a story like this hanging. It just not done, at least not by people with any sense of propriety...

Lightsaber has lost the title of coolest weapon ever conceived. Vindication took its cake and shot it too.

And a real LOL at High Imperial.

Plus it proves that you were right Chaos. Harmony can definitely read minds. How? No idea. But it's cool that he can.

I just finished the book about five minutes ago. I have a theory about how Harmony can communicate with Wax. I think it has to do with his prayer earring. It was given to him by one of those Faceless Immortal people (who I assume is a Kandra). I'm thinking its some kind of Hemalurgic thing, the way Vin's earring allowed her to communicate with Ruin in the trilogy. Also, notice that every time Wax communicates with Harmony he his wearing his earring.

Now reactions: This book was awesome! I really want to know what the book Marsh gave to Marasi has in it. And with the sister and the other girls still missing and the Uncle still on the loose it makes me with Brandon would write another novella as a sequel to this, but it looks like we'll have to wait until the next Trilogy to find out what happened. That makes me kind of sad, except that I'm also super excited about the next Stormlight books, and the planned Elantris sequel. I just wish Brandon could write all those books all at once. Oh well.

I just finished the book about five minutes ago. I have a theory about how Harmony can communicate with Wax. I think it has to do with his prayer earring. It was given to him by one of those Faceless Immortal people (who I assume is a Kandra). I'm thinking its some kind of Hemalurgic thing, the way Vin's earring allowed her to communicate with Ruin in the trilogy. Also, notice that every time Wax communicates with Harmony he his wearing his earring.

Great call there! I can't believe I missed that even though it is so so similar to Vin's earring!

Honestly I will be very disapointed if this is only a setup to the second trilogy, but it will have different characters, as I believe someone else said was possible. I like alot of these characters, and I think they could all do with some fleshing out. And really, Wax ending up with Steris? no way :(

Edited by Ness

Brandon did say at the release party that someone got Kendra-ed half way through the book. When we tried to guess who it was (mine and k-chan (I think she was who I was talking to. I know there was also someone else, so sorry whoever for forgetting you) theory was either Daddy of girls (I forget their names most of the time) or the cop dude) Brandon said he wanted us to discuss and theorize who it was. So he won't be telling us any time soon. *pout*

Brandon did say at the release party that someone got Kendra-ed half way through the book. When we tried to guess who it was (mine and k-chan (I think she was who I was talking to. I know there was also someone else, so sorry whoever for forgetting you) theory was either Daddy of girls (I forget their names most of the time) or the cop dude) Brandon said he wanted us to discuss and theorize who it was. So he won't be telling us any time soon. *pout*

Interesting! The dad, the cop, and steris were all out of sight long enough for them to be Kandra'd, and none of the are allomancers, so they wouldn't be exposed easily. I would guess Steris, as she is perfectly placed to spy on Wax, plus it gives Wax a way out of the marriage when it is discovered. However, Steris acts differently than normal after the rescue, which to most would seem suspicious, but Kandra in Vin's age were much better at acting than that, so who knows?