Human Bonds

Honorless

We've seen spren bonds, we've seen Seon bonds, we've seen Aviar bonds. We know that Cognitive Shadows can be bonded as is the case with Stormfather and 

Spoiler

Kelsier

Blightsong

Could Kelsier theoretically bond with someone on Roshar?

Brandon Sanderson

Yes.

OdysseyCon 2016 (April 8, 2016)

There's also a Dawnshard which is said to be able to create Bonds with mortals

the Dawnshard, known to bind any creature voidish or mortal

- Poem of Ista

Can human beings also be similarly bonded? I think yes, though we've only gotten confirmation of Cognitive Entities, including Cognitive Shadows, being bound, they only form one half of the pair, the other half is human. A Bond between two human beings should be possible, in fact, I believe we've already seen a malevolent expression of this: Hemalurgy. Stealing and grafting parts of other people's Spiritwebs. A more benign version of such a Bond should certainly be possible, akin to the Nahel Bond. 

What would be the result of such a Bond? What would be the result of such a Bond if neither of the bonded have access to a magic system? If one of them is Invested? If both of them are Invested?

I think such a Bond could function akin to a telepathic link, maybe even a teleportation link as part of an Investiture system. The unInvested would also get access to the magic system of the Bondmate. If both Bondmates are Invested, I believe we might even see strange resonances. They should definitely be able to share Investiture, maybe even have an easier time converting between different types of Investiture if they have access to different systems.

Edited by Honorless

9 minutes ago, Honorless said:

I think such a Bond could function akin to a telepathic link, maybe even a teleportation link as part of an Investiture system. The unInvested would also get access to the magic system of the Bondmate. If both Bondmates are Invested, I believe we might even see strange resonances. They should definitely be able to share Investiture, maybe even have an easier time converting between different types of Investiture if they have access to different systems.

Perhaps if you and your partner or your sibling compound connection to each other?

Edited by Ookla the Prolific

1 hour ago, Honorless said:

That does seem like it could be a viable method to gain a bond! 

They could then use each other's abilities and maybe get a good grasp on each other's emotions. 

1 minute ago, Steel Inquisitive said:

I believe the Radiant squires and their Radiant have a bind like this. So maybe Spiritual adhesion could be used to make a bond?

Maybe

1 minute ago, Steel Inquisitive said:

Perhaps a Bondsmith could bind two people together.

So Bondsmith's are like super couples counselors?

10 minutes ago, Steel Inquisitive said:

Lol. I was thinking it sounded like a marriage counselor:-)

Lol true that. 
Spiritual adhesion should definitely work. Already it allows one to form connection with another temporarily, their should be a way to make it permanent. 
Agreed on the radiant and squire relationship. Good observation. 

Dalinar would be a great priest for a wedding:

Dalinar:*To the bride* Do you take this man to be your husband?

Lady: Yes, I do.

Dalinar: And you, *turns to the groom* do you take this woman to be your wife?

Guy: Yes, I do.

Dalinar: Then, with the power Invested in me by the Almighty himself, I name you man and wife! Also, I've forged a permanent Connection between your souls, so this is pretty much forever. 

• Chaos locked this topic