Sebarial Theory (and Anagram)

Confused

What do you make of a character whose name is an anagram for "Base Liar"? It's been speculated elsewhere that Sebarial is not what he seems. My theory is that he's Chach (or whatever the actual name for the Dustbringer herald is). In WoR Chapter 38 (Hardcover, p. 446), he tells Shallan that "Everyone knows I like to set things on fire and watch them burn."

Chach's (and Dustbringer's) surges are Division and Abrasion. In the WoK Prelude, Dustrbingers are the ones who leave "still-smoldering" piles on the battlefield. Control over friction/fire may be how Sebarial and Palona keep warm and dry under their canopy during the Highstorm in WoR's climactic scene.

Even if I'm wrong about who Sebarial really is, I still love the anagram...

That anagram is awesome, never caught that one! He is definitely the lying type it seems. He puts on an act for the other Highprinces while letting his true personality, identity, and agenda stay hidden. There is MUCH more to him than we know, and as we know anybody who isn't who they seem is a huge suspect of being either a Herald or Worldhopper. I doubt he's a Worldhopper since he's been around so long and is in such high position with a family history, but a Herald is definitely possible. 

Nice catch with the anagram! But as was pointed out, Chana is a female.

It's possible that either Palona or Sebarial are surgebinders and kept themselves warm via surge. That would explain why Sebarial went to fight with Dalinar and also why he didn't want to throw his men's lives away on the Plains to gain gemhearts, when he could gain wealth in other ways thus following the First Ideal of journey before destination and life before death.

That's really cool, didn't even see it. He reminds me a lot of Cett from Mistborn series who was really cool. He has the whole "i have to be viewed as bad" thing going but being Roshar and not Scadrial he isn't as ruthless. 

Edited by Numb

This is really fun.  Sebarial is certainly an interesting character.  If Roion's side had stopped the singing Parshendi in the everstorm battle, rather than getting routed, I wonder whether the Everstorm could have been averted?  

I would think a Herald or maybe even a Surgebinder could have made a difference there. It would take an amazing temperament for a Herald to not try to make a difference. 

OTOH, Nin apparently did just that, as he was clearly monitoring the situation and did nothing to help. 

Edited by hoser

• Chaos locked this topic