Hidden Things in Map of Roshar?

RShara

Harping back to WoB that hair color of nations on Roshar was chosen deliberately, and if we are thinking it is a nexus world, was humanity seeded there from all other shardworlds? Thus the hair color denotes what world your ancestors were from?

Harping back to WoB that hair color of nations on Roshar was chosen deliberately, and if we are thinking it is a nexus world, was humanity seeded there from all other shardworlds? Thus the hair color denotes what world your ancestors were from?

Perhaps you would be interested in my unfounded theory that all the Heralds are from different cosmere planets?

NEW INFO FROM SIGNING:

Rybal was kind enough to post some audio, and at ~23:00 Brandon talks about how Roshar "drifts" over millennia as it's weathered in the East and cremmified on the West. 

Perhaps you would be interested in my unfounded theory that all the Heralds are from different cosmere planets?

But Shallash is Jezrien's daughter, so that makes it a bit less likely.

NEW INFO FROM SIGNING:

Rybal was kind enough to post some audio, and at ~23:00 Brandon talks about how Roshar "drifts" over millennia as it's weathered in the East and cremmified on the West.

One of the many reasons it is unfounded :)

That being said, there's a kernel of an idea there somewhere I'm sure of it.

NEW INFO FROM SIGNING:

One of the many reasons it is unfounded :)

That being said, there's a kernel of an idea there somewhere I'm sure of it.

Considering that the Heralds have some sort of powers that we haven't seen without their Blades, it could be possible. I was just thinking that someone needs to ask if the Heralds were from Roshar.

just found this on the theoryland database

BRANDON SANDERSON (3 JANUARY 2011)
The first wind is in the Mountains of Mist; I've always assumed this was a nod to Tolkien's Misty Mountains.
BRANDON SANDERSON
Look in The Way of Kings on the full map of Roshar for something similar.

don't know if this helps at all. Just saw it and thought this info could help someone. 

Okay, a few thoughts. I've been following this thread and have read most of the replies, so hopefully I won't be repeating anything. (Also, I have it set up so that every time there's a reply I get an Email. That way I can follow it at work without having to be on the forums. I have to say, I've been deleting 100+ Emails every day trying to keep up with you guys xD)

The biggest thing is that I'm kind of confused about something after Brandon's revelation at the DC signing that the entire continent has been migrating west over the past millennia. Looking at the map, I would never guess that the East is being "worn away." It actually looks pretty stable compared to the more "frilly"/thinner bits out west. Maybe I'm just picturing weathering wrong, but I would expect to see a worn area be thinner and have more trailing wisps. Likewise, if the West is being built up, I would expect it to look more... solid, I guess? Maybe I'm just making things up.

I was also wondering if the mountains could actually be caused by crem build up (since we know it's not plate tectonics). I'm not sure how much I actually believe this, since we know from Shallan's sketches that crem build ups tend to lean to the west/have a slicked-back look. At the same time, though, I'm not sure how the continent could actually be building up on the far west, since the majority of the western shore (Shinovar) is shielded by the Misted Moutains. Unless the crem is building up on the mountains themselves. Either that, or Aimia/Iri are the product of the shifting land mass, perhaps?

Finally, I do think that there's something really important with the symmetry of the continent. I know you guys have discussed this at length, but the fact that the Frostlands "Dragon head" (yes, RShara, I see it perfectly :D ) is eating Thaylenah in almost the exact same manner that Iri/Rira are a gaping mouth toward the Reshi Isles, PLUS the fact that that there are two smaller bodies of water located in similar spots in both areas is too coincidental. Beyond that, if you look at the Purelake, it seems to mirror the Tarat Sea. Even the moutain ranges seem to be mirrored. I don't know, I'm sure I'm just repeating things now despite saying that I wasn't going to. But there's so much there.

I hope the emails you get with my posts make your day better! ;)

I spent a bit of time today looking at places where the continent could have conceivably shifted around, and what it might have looked like before (the Pangaea chat prompted this). It's highly believable that the arm where Kharbranth is was once connected to greater Hexi, creating a mirror to the pure lake. Reconnect Theylenah and you have a mirror of the body of water near Iri.

Regardless of the secret hidden in here, this thread is of constant interest to me, as the maps reveal such a great deal about the world.

Edit: I realize you mentioned these same areas, I was just commenting that we could very easily reverse engineer Roshar and likely come up with an almost exact mirror.

Edited by Ryshadium

As to why the Silver Kingdoms Map looks no different from the modern one: there's no way to tell how fast the migration is happening. I mean, on our planet, continental drift happens at a rate of 5-10cm/year. So it would take at least 10,000 years for the coast to move one kilometer. We don't know exactly how long ago that map was made, but 5000 years (500 years before the last Desolation) is probably reasonable, if not overshooting. (I doubt all those kingdoms survived the previous Desolation, so the map probably dates to the very tail end of the Heraldic Epochs.) If Rosharan continental migration is at all similar in pace to terrestrial continental drift, Roshar has moved less than half a kilometer. We don't have a scale for these maps, but I highly doubt half a kilometer's difference would be noticeable on these maps.

And that's not even considering the possibility that the Silver Kingdoms Map is a modern recreation. It's an in-universe map, yes, but who's to say it's not a scholar's best guess as to where the Silver Kingdoms' boundaries lay?