Rysn has seen drooling Jesrien?

Delightful

On a reread of Wok, I discovered a very interesting line in the Rysn Interlude, describing Shinovar:

It was as if the entire land were slow of wit. Like a man who was born without all his brains, one who didn't know when to protect himself, but instead just stared at the wall, drooling.

And then she goes on to observe the soil, which links nicely to the last line of the interlude

She was not going to ruin a good dress for a pot of drooling, wall-staring imbecile grass. And that was that.

So I'd usually say this is a just a random throwaway line, but there's just a little too much coincidence going on here.

In the Lift interlude, Darkness comments 

Praise Yaezir,” he said. “Herald of Kings. May he lead in wisdom. If he ever stops drooling.”

So Yaezir - most likely Jezrien - drools.

Rysn mentions a drooling man.

This could still be coincidence except for Rysn's phrase "who didn't know when to protect himself."  Jesrien's Primary Attribute in the table at the back of WoK is 'Protecting - as Rysn mentions. The second is leading - as Darkness says "may he lead in wisdom" .

Two references of men drooling, one definitely Jesrien, both mentioning Jesrien's Attributes within a sentence.

In addition, I've seen a theory going around that the Heralds have sort of reversed one of their attributes - e.g Shallash is going round destroying statues as the opposite of her Creative attribute. So if that is correct, it also makes sense Jezrien was the protector, and now no longer knows when to protect himself.

So....is this some subtle reference by Brandon? Has Rysn seen Jezrien - in Thaylenah, or Alethkar, or elsewhere on her travels?  she must have seen a mad drooling man in order to compare the grass to him)Or am I totally reading to much into one line?

Oh, and a disclaimer. I haven't read the WoR Rysn interlude yet, if that has any relevance to this.

Thoughts?

Edited by Delightful

Rysn was referring to the grass that wasn't hiding from danger. In my non-english edition it's translated in the meaning of the grass being slimy or slushy as in unpleasant to touch because of this. Sorry, I can't think of a better explanation.

I've read some speculations that Jerien was the man who spoke to Szeth in prologue of WoK:

A man with a long grey and black beard slumped in the doorway, smiling foolishly — though whether from wine or a weak mind, Szeth could not tell.

“Have you seen me?” the man asked with slurred speech. He laughed, then began to speak in gibberish, reaching for a wineskin. So it was drink after all. Szeth brushed by, continuing past a line of statues depicting the Ten Heralds from ancient Vorin theology. Jezerezeh, Ishi, Kelek, Talenelat.

Rysn was referring to the grass that wasn't hiding from danger. In my non-english edition it's translated in the meaning of the grass being slimy or slushy as in unpleasant to touch because of this. Sorry, I can't think of a better explanation.

I didn't think of the non-English versions. Maybe I am reading too much into it then....hard to tell though, with all the tiny little hints and details Brandon throws in. Can't blame me for that.......much?

I didn't think of the non-English versions. Maybe I am reading too much into it then....hard to tell though, with all the tiny little hints and details Brandon throws in. Can't blame me for that.......much?

Not at all :) I just wanted to point out that it makes sense on its own, because to me as a non-eglish reader 'drooling grass' sounds very strange and I needed to check it in my edition to be able to make sense of the phrase. It could be a clue , of course. Brandon tends to drop hints using certain wordings. I just can't think of anything else it could mean, despite the grass being unpleasant to touch.

Not at all :) I just wanted to point out that it makes sense on its own, because to me as a non-eglish reader 'drooling grass' sounds very strange and I needed to check it in my edition to be able to make sense of the phrase. It could be a clue , of course. Brandon tends to drop hints using certain wordings. I just can't think of anything else it could mean, despite the grass being unpleasant to touch.

To me as an English reader 'drooling grass' sounded strange too, which is why it caught my attention. I guess we'll just have to keep reading to see if its just a weird coincidence or not.

• Chaos locked this topic