Connection Between Allomancy and the Heralds/Surges...?

darkanimereal1

I've been trying to search just to make sure if anyone has brought this up yet, but I haven't seen anything. If someone has, I'd love a link to the topic.

I want to point out that I only just discovered this wonderful website this past week. I've been reading/gobbling up all the theories and WoB voraciously, but I obviously haven't read everything yet. Still, it was bugging me that I noticed this and hadn't seen anything about it, so I'm going to post it. I don't have the annotations for all of the information, although I know for sure that I've read them in the past few days. Please forgive my lack of evidence for some statements.

I was looking at a picture of the colored front page of TWoK that shows the 10 surges/Heralds and their faces and symbols, along with the odd dragonwasp-things. (I found an image via Google here: http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20121114044819/stormlightarchive/images/c/c7/Knights_Radiant_and_the_ten_Surges.jpg). I was already beginning to think that the ten heralds and the KR and the different surges can probably be further categorized because of Navani's notes (http://coppermind.net/w/images/Navani2.jpg). The bottom image labels each of the ten jewels in the double-pupil (I forget the proper name for that formation, and surprisingly Coppermind doesn't have it listed that I can find), and I noticed that the top are all related to love while the bottom are all related to hate. Also, it seems the ones on the left are somehow related and the same for the ones on the right. The jewel placement obviously lines up with the Heralds' symbols in the first image from the front inside cover.

I noticed that each of the symbols of the surges line up with a face on the outline (I'm sure people have noticed this) and also that each of the KR order symbols on the inside (they have to be) have lines connected to two of the surges, which makes sense since the different orders were said to be able to access two kinds of magic, correct? I don't have an annotation for this one, but I'm sure I read that. The one in the upper right hand corner is Jezrien 1) because the face is of a man with a crown and 2) the surge symbol associated with him is part of the symbol for Jezrien's shardblade. This got me to wondering how each of the 10 surges may be similarly related/categorized. 

Each of the surges also has a line that connects it to the one directly across from it, so Jez's surge symbol is connected by a line to the surge in the bottom left corner, etc. Each connection is between one man and one woman, meaning that the Heralds had 5 men and 5 women. I was looking at them all and realized that the top half is all men and the bottom half is all women (also can't help wondering if Navani's image has them switched/upsidedown, since I would associate women with love and men with hate, or even if Navani has general terms that are only partially correct). 

But then I realized that the categorization is very similar to the table of Allomantic Metals. Each of those are categorized, and are put into four quadrants in a similar way that the surges/jewels seem to logically be divided into four quadrants (http://images.wikia.com/mistborn/images/0/04/Table_of_Allomantic_metals.jpg). Could this possibly be a connection between the magic systems?

Also, it really bothered me when I realized that Kaladin's symbol (seen on the big image here: http://www.17thshard.com/forum/topic/3091-not-a-herald/) looks like either Lerasium's or Zinc's Allomatic symbol (especially Zinc's). Is this just a coincidence? Especially because Zinc is in the upper right-hand corner of the Allomatic table, just as Jezrien's surge is...

I'm less convinced about the Kaladin connection than I am with the connection between the two charts. 

Also, perhaps this is somewhat off-topic and maybe has even been discussed, but do the Allomatic symbols seem to have spikes driven through them? Are the symbols actually some sort of Hemalurgic guide to illustrate the type and placement of spikes in order to extract that particular ability?

They are definately connected, at least if you support Shardic Lens Theory.

There is one central Power of Creation represented by a source of powerful Light. This light shines through a Lens called Adonalsium and creates the Cosmere.  Somehow this lens was split into 16 lenses, and each one distorted the light based on their Intent. The filtered light now has 16 different colors as it enters the Cosmere and each of these colors represents an Aspect of Creation. Humans can only use this power if they get a piece of one of these 16 lenses. All 16 colors of light can be used by any lens and they can be combined in various ways to get different effects. The way magic is accessed in a given world depends on the Color of the lens (Shard's Intent), the Planet (Physical Focus), and the Human (Intellect). This corresponds to the spiritual, physical and cognitive realms respectively. 

Edited by Isomere

• 5 months later...

great theory and I definitely think it has some merit to it, especially when combined with Shardic Lens Theory.

I do however think that the connection you see between Kaladin and Zinc is just a very uncanny coincidence. up vote for you ;)

The Double Eye is the term you were look at up there. And I think it's about time we started paying really close attention to it, because I am getting a feeling its numerical and graphical significance will tell be even greater than that of the table of metals in Mistborn.

I've got a theory churning in my mind, will organize and put it together sometime soon, I think...

Personally, I think it suggests a combined system influenced by both Honor and Cultivation together.  I think this is at least somewhat borne out in comments from Brandon indicating that at least some spren have both Honor and Cultivation in them.

That's definitely a part - but the fact that the Double Eye shows up in the Fabrials' stormlight patterns makes me think that it's more of an encompassing idea rather than a just a phenomenon shared between Surgebinding and Voidbringing.

Edited by Argent

• Chaos locked this topic