A Comprehensive Timeline

darniil

afaik, AoL takes place some time before WoK.

This got me to thinking.

Has anyone put together a timeline? Like, everything in one place? I've seen bits and pieces here and there comparing one or two things at a time, but I'd love to see one big timeline showing the books / scenes from books as they happened in the cosmere.

Heck, I'd even be willing to put one together, if someone could point me in the right direction regarding when stuff happened.

Ah, I didn't know about that page. That's a good start for what I want. Thanks.

Unfortunately, that Chronology is VERY flimsy (I was looking at it the other day...): there is a small amount of detail on the Mistborn trilogy and the rest of it boils down to "the order in which the books were published" timeline. While that is technically correct (AoL notwithstanding), it doesn't give us much to go on. I'm not sure if all of the time gaps are substantiated (some are relatively easy to confirm, others not so much.)

Edit: One of the biggest problems we will have with coming up with a comprehensive timeline is the incompleteness of the Cosmere (as we know it.) While it is comparatively easy to get fairly accurate timelines for each novel (or series) individually (though YMMV: see the WoK timeline thread...), we will need to use at least a drill press and thumb screws to get any complete inter-series timeline out of Brandon/Peter...

Edited by Thor

Well, I'll try to sketch something up this weekend and post it for review. Then I'll move things around according to consensus until it looks accurate.

I'm mostly thinking with relative dates in mind, as opposed to specific dates. (Primarily because I'm not too concerned with specific dates, and secondarily because there isn't much of a universal time-marker in the cosmere [except maybe PS - Post Shattering].)

But even with post shattering we dont know how long it was before the time of Elantris.

I think the logical starting point is to say the earliest exact date from Elantris is 0 and everything dates from there and then modify it if/when we get a time frame for the shattering.

This is kind of what I'm thinking so far, but I want to put it in an actual timeline form, so I'd probably end up using a graphics program of some sort to make an image.

Adonalsium Shatters (H)

Oathpact Broken

Elantris Founded

Odium kills Aona and Skai

“New” Elantrians Inhabit Elantris

Alendi Finds the Well of Ascension

The Reod

AonDor Repaired (H)

(1)The Manywar

(1)The Final Empire Falls (H)

(2)Marriage of God-King of Hallandren to Idris Princess (H)

(2)Kidnappings Around the Elendel Basin

Talenel Returns (H)

(The parenthetical numbers indicate events that occur around the same time of each other. The parenthetical "H" indicates a time and place where we know of Hoid being.)

I'd also like to include things like Dalinar's visions; that is, "Vision 1 showed this era", "Vision 2 showed this era", etc.

Edit: Moved Elantris events to before the Manywar. (Thanks, CrazyRioter.)

Edit 2: Added Hoid to Adonalsium's shattering. (Thanks, lordofsoup.)

Edited by darniil

This is kind of what I'm thinking so far, but I want to put it in an actual timeline form, so I'd probably end up using a graphics program of some sort to make an image.

Adonalsium Shatters

Oathpact Broken

Elantris Founded

Odium kills Aona and Skai

“New” Elantrians Inhabit Elantris

Alendi Finds the Well of Ascension

The Reod

AonDor Repaired (H)

(1)The Manywar

(1)The Final Empire Falls (H)

(2)Marriage of God-King of Hallandren to Idris Princess (H)

(2)Kidnappings Around the Elendel Basin

Talenel Returns (H)

(The parenthetical numbers indicate events that occur around the same time of each other. The parenthetical "H" indicates a time and place where we know of Hoid being.)

I'd also like to include things like Dalinar's visions; that is, "Vision 1 showed this era", "Vision 2 showed this era", etc.

Edit: Moved Elantris events to before the Manywar.

Bolded emphasis added. These two events (when connected) yield some very interesting possibilities: if Hoid pops up in Alloy of Law, then we can assume that his method of transportation is (effectively) instantaneous, suggesting it is possible to move around the Cosmere without resorting to space travel. If Hoid isn't in Alloy of Law then we can assume one of two things: (1) Hoid doesn't care about the events in AoL or (2) Hoid cannot travel large distances in an instance and (it would be assumed) it would take some large amount of time to travel between worlds.

For the visions...well, you have already seen my thoughts on them and their order, which is very incomplete. :(

So way of Kings happens 500 years after Elantris, does that put Elantris 500 years before the oathpact breaks, or 4000 years after?

Also are these 500 years in our time, Selian time, or Rosharian time? On Roshar a year is 1000 days long. So 4500 years on Roshar would be equivelent to roughly 12329 years here, theres no way to tell how long it would be if it was Selian years

Y'know, what should really be done is a graphical representation, [/i]ala[/i]:

post-1449-0-33828400-1320466099_thumb.pn

Obviously, someone with actual art skillz and a mouse that is properly calibrated should do it, but eh (also, I realize the lines are off. It's just an example, people.)?

--EDIT--

Aww dang, are you serious? The days/years aren't analogous?! (should've guessed, since that aspect of a planet is entirely dependent on it's orbit around it's star and stuff...)... crap, that ruins everything.

Where does it say that Rosharian year = 1000 (rosharian, assumably) days?

Edited by Triumvirate

We should create several different timelines; one with Elantris as 0, another that starts at the Shattering, and a third that begins at a random point between Elantris and the Shattering. Then we can all split up into different camps and shake pens at each other!

(Though ultimately the one with the armies gets to set the calendar) :)

Sorry, my first thoughts when people started to throw out ideas were of the different calendars that different peoples used throughout history. Carry on.

Edited by Thucydides

So way of Kings happens 500 years after Elantris, does that put Elantris 500 years before the oathpact breaks, or 4000 years after?

Also are these 500 years in our time, Selian time, or Rosharian time? On Roshar a year is 1000 days long. So 4500 years on Roshar would be equivelent to roughly 12329 years here, theres no way to tell how long it would be if it was Selian years

actually, it's 500 days and the days are shorter then our days by about 20 percent, so the year is only about 10 percent longer then ours.

Y'know, what should really be done is a graphical representation

Oh, definitely. I'm going to put one together later on today. I don't know what would be the proper program to use for something like this, so I'm just going to knock something together in Photoshop. (It's the tool I know the best.)

I think that we can safely assume that Hoid was at the shattering of Adonalsium

Yes, thank you. Edited appropriately.

(Though ultimately the one with the armies gets to set the calendar) :)

/me glances at his signature block, which hasn't been edited in well over two months.

>:D

Roshar years are 500 days with 20 hr days and hours that are 1-2 minutes shorter than ours. So a Roshar year is only supposed to be ~1.1 Earth years, still a valid point.

• Chaos locked this topic