Shardcast: State of Sanderson 2018


State of Sanderson 2018 is out and here is our podcast talking about the news, Children of the Nameless, and the future for Brandon. We discuss the increasing trend for collabs in Brandon's works. We also talk about our feelings on this year. We have some fantastic memes, and learn Evgeni is sometimes creepy. Lastly talk about Tolkien for no reason, and as usual, are super pedantic.

We have Eric (Chaos), Ian (WeiryWriter), Evgeni (Argent), and Ben (Overexposed Jebus).

Thank you all for watching this year. This episode really made me think about how much time has past since a year ago. It is incredibly humbling for so many of you watching week after week. We'll see you here for many years to come.

 




User Feedback


I for one, would love both a Children of the Nameless cast and a Tolkiencast. Also, I would like to pedantically point out that while "met" doesn't always mean "for the first time" it is strongly implied when someone says "This year I met X person," in an excited way.

Share this comment


Link to comment
Share on other sites
Naurock

Posted (edited)

Wow @Argent, lol. Welcome to ThirstCast!

On the co-written stuff, I quickly soured on the Maximum Ride series by James Patterson. I really enjoyed Dan Wells book I Am Not A Serial Killer. I think I could trust them together, because they're also fun to listen to on Writing Excuses.

Edited by Naurock
Additional opinions

Share this comment


Link to comment
Share on other sites

First time watching one of these shardcast things and it was pretty fun! I will have to make time for them in the future. By the way @Chaos I believe you teach math? I would of loved to have you as a teacher in school. Looks like you have a lot of energy and enthusiasm. Also nice to put some faces with profiles on the shard.

Share this comment


Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'd love a Children Of The Nameless-cast, particularly if there was someone willing to explain the Magic references in it.

Share this comment


Link to comment
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Naurock said:

Wow @Argent, lol. Welcome to ThirstCast!

On the co-written stuff, I quickly soured on the Maximum Ride series by James Patterson. I really enjoyed Dan Wells book I Am Not A Serial Killer. I think I could trust them together, because they're also fun to listen to on Writing Excuses.

It's good cosplay, okay!?

Share this comment


Link to comment
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Argent said:

It's good cosplay, okay!?

I saw it, too. It is a good cosplay, but I just had to make the joke. I admire your willingness to put it all out there, because that's something I could never do. I would mostly make bad jokes though.

Share this comment


Link to comment
Share on other sites

You guys didn't say the one great thing coming out of the cosmere break. Lots of time to do all the Coppermind editing!

Share this comment


Link to comment
Share on other sites

I also read faster than I listen.  Despite this, I enjoy listening to Graphic Audio books, because I listen much faster than I can read while driving.

Also, I'm another of the ones who is disappointed with the schedule because I want to see The Lost Metal more than I want to see Stormlight 4.  (Which is not to say that I'm not interested in more Stormlight. I definitely am.  But at this moment, Scadrial Era 2 is even more interesting, with the way Bands of Mourning left things...)

Share this comment


Link to comment
Share on other sites
Wax

Posted (edited)

Guys ... you really need. 15-20 minute version of this. Like a shardcast highlights reel. With kids running around the house and other stuff, it’s tricky to find the whole 1.5 hours to listen to it (and I was really only into cosmere... having read the SoS).

or just post the bookmarks (yes, I am lazy), so I can just drag the slider to it

Edited by Wax

Share this comment


Link to comment
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Ark1002 said:

I've submitted an who's that cosmere character, but I'm not sure if it is the right email. Is [email protected] correct?

I will second a request for confirmation (could you put it in the text of the post and/or on screen at the end of the episode in the future?

Share this comment


Link to comment
Share on other sites

Oops. Usually I put it in the description but sometimes I forget.

On 12/20/2018 at 1:48 PM, Ammanas said:

First time watching one of these shardcast things and it was pretty fun! I will have to make time for them in the future. By the way @Chaos I believe you teach math? I would of loved to have you as a teacher in school. Looks like you have a lot of energy and enthusiasm. Also nice to put some faces with profiles on the shard.

I do! Oh man, I am very high energy in my lectures. Glad you liked this video!

On 12/22/2018 at 11:33 AM, Wax said:

Guys ... you really need. 15-20 minute version of this. Like a shardcast highlights reel. With kids running around the house and other stuff, it’s tricky to find the whole 1.5 hours to listen to it (and I was really only into cosmere... having read the SoS).

or just post the bookmarks (yes, I am lazy), so I can just drag the slider to it

What exactly do you want "highlights" to be? Do you want the highlights of the news, or the funny parts? 

90 minutes is our pretty standard episode length though I understand that is long for some. 

Share this comment


Link to comment
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Ark1002 said:

I've submitted an who's that cosmere character, but I'm not sure if it is the right email. Is [email protected] correct?

 

15 hours ago, Personification said:

I will second a request for confirmation (could you put it in the text of the post and/or on screen at the end of the episode in the future?

 

You guys did good, I've got 'em :D

Share this comment


Link to comment
Share on other sites
On 28/12/2018 at 7:53 AM, Chaos said:

 

What exactly do you want "highlights" to be? Do you want the highlights of the news, or the funny parts? 

90 minutes is our pretty standard episode length though I understand that is long for some. 

Even if there a list posted:-

(Made up timings below)

15:00 cosmere

35:00 reckoners

55:00 mistborn

1:10 Other long term projects

1:20 funny bits

All books have an index, so all I am asking is some way to skip to the sections I am interested in.

 

Share this comment


Link to comment
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Wax said:

Even if there a list posted:-

(Made up timings below)

15:00 cosmere

35:00 reckoners

55:00 mistborn

1:10 Other long term projects

1:20 funny bits

All books have an index, so all I am asking is some way to skip to the sections I am interested in.

 

I could do this for sure but sometimes it can be rather time consuming to do, and already editing takes up a lot of time. (Also sometimes we go in between different topics, so it's not quite as neat as you'd probably hope.) But we will see!

Share this comment


Link to comment
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Chaos said:

I could do this for sure but sometimes it can be rather time consuming to do, and already editing takes up a lot of time. (Also sometimes we go in between different topics, so it's not quite as neat as you'd probably hope.) But we will see!

Thanks.  Even I am concerned about making unreasonable requests taking up too much time. Hence, the bookmarks idea.  I acknowledge that the shardcast at times jumps around with topics.  But, I am happy even if I am getting 80% of the discussion. It doesn’t have to be perfect.

Share this comment


Link to comment
Share on other sites
On 12/22/2018 at 2:33 PM, Wax said:

Guys ... you really need. 15-20 minute version of this. Like a shardcast highlights reel. With kids running around the house and other stuff, it’s tricky to find the whole 1.5 hours to listen to it (and I was really only into cosmere... having read the SoS).

or just post the bookmarks (yes, I am lazy), so I can just drag the slider to it

I watch after the kids go to bed (and a couple of weeks delayed, clearly).  

Or, you know, never to early to get them into the Cosmere...

Share this comment


Link to comment
Share on other sites


Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now