The Overlady Reads Rhythm of War, Part Four!


Welcome to the Overlady Reads Rhythm of War Part Four!!!!

As with the other weeks, this is a spoiler warning for Rhythm of War Part Four. To click on this article is to summon spoilers unto your eyes, the likes of which have never been seen before! I bid you now, TURN BACK, TURN BACK, RETURN FROM WHENCE YOU CAME. Unless you've read Part Four, in which case that's fine.

So, let's continue with Kaladin and Navani being miserable in the tower. And miserable they are, Kaladin even gets stuck on Braize for a little while! We finally return for the climax of Adolin and Shallans story, the trial to end all trials! (Just kidding, it's a sham trial that was more politics than justice). 

We also finally get to discover what's in Gavilars black sphere and quite literally no one could have guessed it before this book BRANDON.

Let us know down below your favourite parts of Rhythm of War Part Four below!

 

1




User Feedback


A few things:

1. Lucy: I built the whole set!

    Ben:

Spoiler

1221917.2114523.jpg

2. About Mraize v. Nalan:

I disagree about Nalan fighting honorably. Nalan fights legally, but once he has established that his target has committed a crime (and he has made sure that attacking him is a capital offense basically anywhere on Roshar) he will use any tactic legally available to kill them, without caring about honor or honesty. For example, he needed to kill Gavilar, so he tipped off the enemy that technically they had legal grounds to assassinate him, thereby removing the issue. Nalan is also used to fighting criminals, and he won't be caught off-guard by his opponent fighting dirty.

3. What Adolin and Maya were doing are called Katas, not Catan, though now I have this amazing image in my head of the two of them just sitting at a table playing Settlers.

1

Share this comment


Link to comment
Share on other sites
teknopathetic

Posted (edited)

5 hours ago, Ookla Personified said:

 

3. What Adolin and Maya were doing are called Katas, not Catan, though now I have this amazing image in my head of the two of them just sitting at a table playing Settlers.

"Who taught you to horde wheat like that?" asked Azure

"My game-master" wheezed Adolin

Edited by teknopathetic
4

Share this comment


Link to comment
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, teknopathetic said:

"Who taught you to horde wheat like that?" asked Azure

"My game-master" wheezed Adolin

Fun fact: if you get 50,000 sheep you achieve the tenth heightening and can command the robber without army cards. It never comes into play because it is basically impossible to get there without someone scoring 10 VP.

1

Share this comment


Link to comment
Share on other sites
teknopathetic

Posted

3 hours ago, Ookla Personified said:

Fun fact: if you get 50,000 sheep you achieve the tenth heightening and can command the robber without army cards. It never comes into play because it is basically impossible to get there without someone scoring 10 VP.

We must overthrow the Lord Robber. 

4

Share this comment


Link to comment
Share on other sites
teknopathetic

Posted

My tinfoil theory is that the Dawnsingers gave the "made" to Odium to unmake, and that turned the regular Spren against the Dawnsingers. 

0

Share this comment


Link to comment
Share on other sites

The Dog and the Dragon is one of my favorite parts in the whole book. That entire chapter is beautiful. Definite tears. Also, I need it as a picture book to read to my kids. That said, I read it to them as a bedtime story tonight regardless. Why do you think Wit has such a soft spot for Kaladin?

0

Share this comment


Link to comment
Share on other sites
teknopathetic

Posted (edited)

18 hours ago, Philomath said:

The Dog and the Dragon is one of my favorite parts in the whole book. That entire chapter is beautiful. Definite tears. Also, I need it as a picture book to read to my kids. That said, I read it to them as a bedtime story tonight regardless. Why do you think Wit has such a soft spot for Kaladin?

I also love how the Wit's spren completely undoes the story and refuses to let Wit tell it like a storyteller, but instead Wit has to prevent it more like a set of factual statements. The fact Design has no patience for prelude or subtlety absolutely delights me. I enjoy the meta of it; like, yes Wit WE GET IT, now get to the good stuff.

#designisthebestspren

Edited by teknopathetic
0

Share this comment


Link to comment
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, teknopathetic said:

I also love how the Wit's spren completely undoes the story and refuses to let Wit tell it like a storyteller, but instead Wit has to prevent it more like a set of factual statements. The fact Design has no patience for prelude or subtlety absolutely delights me. I enjoy the meta of it; like, yes Wit WE GET IT, now get to the good stuff.

#designisthebestspren

What I actually love is that in the end it strengthens the story. The way Design spoils at the beginning the fact that the dog never becomes a dragon actually adds to the story itself on top of being funny, like how in the Princess Bride the grandfather spoils the fact that Humperdink never gets killed, but the story still ends well.

0

Share this comment


Link to comment
Share on other sites


Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now