Theory: Hoid is fine (cosmere spoilers)

An Inkspren

We learn that in RoW, there is a possibility that Hoid lost his Investiture. While I've seen it debated whether he got tricked by Odium or not (or the other way around), I don't think this matters. Mistborn Era 2 is after Stormlight 1-5 (Chronology here), and Hoid shows up, which means he's alright. Am I the only one who noticed this? To be fair, Hoid's cameos were brief so maybe he isn't totally fine, but he was able to get out of Roshar.

Edit: should have posted this in cosmere discussion

Edited by An Inkspren

28 minutes ago, An Inkspren said:

We learn that in RoW, there is a possibility that Hoid lost his Investiture. While I've seen it debated whether he got tricked by Odium or not (or the other way around), I don't think this matters. Mistborn Era 2 is after Stormlight 1-5 (Chronology here), and Hoid shows up, which means he's alright. Am I the only one who noticed this? To be fair, Hoid's cameos were brief so maybe he isn't totally fine, but he was able to get out of Roshar.

Edit: should have posted this in cosmere discussion

Hoid is totally fine. He just lost some of his breaths. He did get completely tricked by Odium, but he just lost a couple breaths at most. His immortality and other powers are totally fine.

On 9/29/2021 at 11:55 AM, AdoenLunnae said:

I panicked for a second the first time I read it, but yeah, as @Zoey noted, he just lost some breaths that he used for short-term memories, so the only permanent changes on him are the loss of his Heightening and of the information about Todium

It still shows issues that could arise later with other things Todium could do. But this current thing is less something majour, and more a display of what he could possibly do later. 

• 4 weeks later...

Im not entirely sure that hoid "lost short term mermories". the way I read the scene was he had memories stored in his breathes. Todium absorbed those breathes. However Hoid was playing around with coins during all of this. I know it hasn't been confirmed if hoid is a feruchemist or not but if he is he could have stored the memories in the coins as Todium absorbed the breathes. It would still cause him to lose those memories temporarily but as soon as he realizes his perfect pitch is gone from losing his heightening (breathes) he would just check his coins and regain the memories.

Edited by Tren

I think Hoid knows exactly what happened.  I think he keeps his Breaths right at the Heightening he needs to have Perfect Pitch, so if something like this happened, then he'd know, because his Perfect Pitch would be off.  Odium, and especially Todium, wouldn't think about that.  Todium thinks he's so clever, having taken Hoid's memories and then redid the conversation the way he thinks Hoid thinks it should have gone, but Hoid has a clue, and that clue is if ANY of his breaths go missing, he loses his Perfect Pitch.  

We know Hoid did get got:

Questioner

My friends and I have been endlessly debating whether Wit knew what happened to him at the end of Rhythm, when he said "that went exactly as I planned," if he knew he was gonna get duped? Or if he got hornswoggled?

Brandon Sanderson

He legitimately got hornswoggled. One of the opening chapters of the next book is going to be him realizing that. There's a little teaser for you.

But I'd guess that you're probably right about him keeping himself near a threshold to make it obvious something happened, even if he has no clue what.