Bondsmith question

OdiYum

I don't think anything's been specifically said. Rayse saying he wanted to send Dalinar out into the cosmere, makes me think that in some way or on some level it'd be possible. And I think Dalinar's powers with connection would allow him to supersede a lot of the difficulties of different types of investiture interacting. 

Edited by Kered

2 hours ago, OdiYum said:

Can a bondsmith connect a person to a different investiture system?  Not the mistborn system, but what about the selish systems?  That would be cool especially for Jasnah who would research the crap out of the Aons.

Remember, Dalinar can manipulate connection period. There doesn't seem to be a limit to what he can do. So all he would have to do is Connect you to Sel, which shouldn't be that hard considering the other connection tricks we have seen used by even non-bondsmiths. All he would have to do is touch a Selish person and take their connection and make it permanent. 

1 hour ago, Kered said:

I don't think anything's been specifically said. Rayse saying he wanted to send Dalinar out into the cosmere, makes me think that in some way or on some level it'd be possible. And I think Dalinar's powers with connection would allow him to supersede a lot of the difficulties of different types of investiture interacting. 

Would he still be bonded to the Stormfather once he loses? Becuase even when he wanted to turn Dalinar, I assumed the Stormfather would just break the connection or Odium would sever it himself, and in the contest, Dalinar would have to die before becoming a Fused, which would already break the connection, therotically. Thi is why I'm always confused on why Odium wants Dalinar that much, without the powers of the Bondsmith, he's just a guy.

It's confirmed that a Forger on Sel can make themselves into just about anything. That's altering Connection and Identity, however. If Identity as a Scadrian is required to be an Allomancer, Dalinar may not be able to pull it off. I'm willing to bet Identity is a requirement to take part in most Selish magic systems.

I'm going to answer: No. A Bondsmith can create and alter Connections, but Identity is just as important regarding using magic systems. There's no evidence that a Bondsmith can alter Identity.

32 minutes ago, Leuthie said:

It's confirmed that a Forger on Sel can make themselves into just about anything. That's altering Connection and Identity, however. If Identity as a Scadrian is required to be an Allomancer, Dalinar may not be able to pull it off. I'm willing to bet Identity is a requirement to take part in most Selish magic systems.

I'm going to answer: No. A Bondsmith can create and alter Connections, but Identity is just as important regarding using magic systems. There's no evidence that a Bondsmith can alter Identity.

1 hour ago, Aspiring Writer said:

Remember, Dalinar can manipulate connection period. There doesn't seem to be a limit to what he can do. So all he would have to do is Connect you to Sel, which shouldn't be that hard considering the other connection tricks we have seen used by even non-bondsmiths. All he would have to do is touch a Selish person and take their connection and make it permanent. 

Would he still be bonded to the Stormfather once he loses? Becuase even when he wanted to turn Dalinar, I assumed the Stormfather would just break the connection or Odium would sever it himself, and in the contest, Dalinar would have to die before becoming a Fused, which would already break the connection, therotically. Thi is why I'm always confused on why Odium wants Dalinar that much, without the powers of the Bondsmith, he's just a guy.

I would argue as long as Dalinar would keep to the oaths, then he still would be bonded to the Stormfather.

I don't think spren can just decide to leave when ever they want, they somewhat give themselves up to the person that they bond to. I think those spren also might be bond to those same oaths?(I am not sure on this part)

33 minutes ago, Leuthie said:

Just wait till we get Identitysmiths!

2 minutes ago, apepi said:

I don't think spren can just decide to leave when ever they want, they somewhat give themselves up to the person that they bond to. I think those spren also might be bond to those same oaths?(I am not sure on this part)

Spren can break the bond for any reason.

Aradanftw

If you were to use Hemalurgy on a Surgebinder, would it steal the Surge or the actual spren bond?

Brandon Sanderson

It's going to steal the spren bond, but you've got to remember the spren has power over that bond. So what you're doing is (1) incredibly evil, even more evil, but (2) you may not end up with what you want, because that spren has free will in most cases. You may go through all this trouble and then they may break the bond, and you would be left without it. So you would need something else to force them to be unable to break the bond, which would be even more evil, but it is possible in Hemalurgy.

Starsight Release Party (Nov. 26, 2019)

6 hours ago, Aspiring Writer said:

In my head i always thought of 2 things being the theoretical outcome if Odium were to win and make Dalinar his agent. One, the simplest, Stormfather doesn’t break the bond and endures with Dalinar. I’d assume Rayse being a shard would be able to allow Dalinar to use his powers off world, basically using his power to hack the code of the cosmere. 

Two, Odium either figures out how to break the bond himself to cut Dalinar away from the last bit of Honor’s power or the storm father chooses to revert and breaks the bond himself. In this case, I still think Dalinar would end up using bond smith magic, either the one Honor gifted or Odiums own version.

I’m leaning more towards the first one because it opens a lot of implications and possibilities with magic being used away from their world of origin. 

But as for this topic. Obviously connection isn’t one of Dalinars surges but really the combination of both the surges allowing him to manipulate connection. Is this an extra honor gift, separate from the powers granted by the two bondsmith surges?  Which means, if given the power by a shard, anyone can gain the ability to connection thus making Dalinars power not unique and able to be done off world by people shards chose to empower like honor did with the Heralds? 

idk, it makes my brain hurt and id rather think of Lopen being the first Roshar native to fly in space and visit one of the moons. Ya know. Happy thoughts instead of mind bending, convoluted ones. 

16 hours ago, Aspiring Writer said:

I'm always confused on why Odium wants Dalinar that much, without the powers of the Bondsmith, he's just a guy.

I'll dispute this.  Long before he was Radiant, Dalinar was THE BLACKTHORN.  The most capable, ruthless and feared warrior in a culture of warriors.  Hardly "just a guy".

2 minutes ago, AquaRegia said:

I'll dispute this.  Long before he was Radiant, Dalinar was THE BLACKTHORN.  The most capable, ruthless and feared warrior in a culture of warriors.  Hardly "just a guy".

I will take an army of Fused over the Blackthorn any day. Far more versatile. 

1 minute ago, Aspiring Writer said:

Why do you think Odium has to choose one or the other?  He already HAS an army of Fused... and he wants an immortal Blackthorn to lead them.

1 hour ago, Aspiring Writer said:

The Fused army is breaking down/broken down. Odium needs new blood (so to speak). And Dalinar can pretty easily be made into a Fused-like entity.

On 3/8/2021 at 2:42 PM, OdiYum said:

Can a bondsmith connect a person to a different investiture system?  Not the mistborn system, but what about the selish systems?  That would be cool especially for Jasnah who would research the crap out of the Aons.

Yeah. He just uses connection. He would probably need something to connect it to though, like traveling to Sel or the weird Ire tube thing. Or maybe a Seon

Well nightblood would do that if you used an Aon to power him cause its not a big enough hole for enough investiture to fuel him to come through, but if Dalinar connects him to it without using an Aon then the gateway of inestiture to nightblood could be stabel enough to fuel him quite safely

8 minutes ago, Parzival said:

Well nightblood would do that if you used an Aon to power him cause its not a big enough hole for enough investiture to fuel him to come through, but if Dalinar connects him to it without using an Aon then the gateway of inestiture to nightblood could be stabel enough to fuel him quite safely

Nightblood eats pependicularities I don't see what kind of stable gateway he would not eat

10 minutes ago, mathiau said:

Nightblood eats pependicularities I don't see what kind of stable gateway he would not eat

He ate: A shards Vessel, a Perpendicularity, a Connection, and part of an Honorblade before he hit food comma state.

20 minutes ago, Frustration said:

He ate: A shards Vessel, a Perpendicularity, a Connection, and part of an Honorblade before he hit food comma state.

This is true but these were all things he was wielded agianst not wielded by. Technically the wielder is the gateway for their investiture to fuel nightblood, like Szeth with stormlight and Vasher with Biochroma, and he doesn't eat them till till they can't feed him any more. So if the connection Dalinar made was similar to the connection between sword and wielder than it should work just fine.

Just now, Parzival said:

This is true but these were all things he was wielded agianst not wielded by. Technically the wielder is the gateway for their investiture to fuel nightblood, like Szeth with stormlight and Vasher with Biochroma, and he doesn't eat them till till they can't feed him any more. So if the connection Dalinar made was similar to the connection between sword and wielder than it should work just fine.

It would eat an aon instead of drawing apon it, so I don't see what the difference is

7 minutes ago, Frustration said:

It would eat an aon instead of drawing apon it, so I don't see what the difference is

But it wouldn't eat the elantrian that wrote the aon till the aon was eaten. So Dalinar would just have to make the connection that of nightblood and his wielder, not like the connection between nightblood and an aon

1 minute ago, Parzival said:

But it wouldn't eat the elantrian that wrote the aon till the aon was eaten. So Dalinar would just have to make the connection that of nightblood and his wielder, not like the connection between nightblood and an aon

I don't think a Bondsmith could effect Nightblood, he's so invested it might be easier to mess with aluminum